question

davy-montgomery avatar image
davy-montgomery asked ·

RingCentral Internet Fax - Printer - Quality of Faxes

Has anyone else found that when they attempt to utilize the printer functionality to send faxes that the images look pixelated.  We are attempting to roll this out to let staff fax from various applications, however, lots documents are hand written or contain signatures.  We find they are sometimes unreadable once they go thru the RingCentral Printer.

The cover page will look perfect, however the document that was printed looks terrible.  We haven't yet experimented with the printer properties, was hoping to avoid doing this on each users machine.

Interested to hear what others have encountered.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

davy-montgomery answered ·
I think you are mistaken Mike, if you start with a PDF and utilize the Print to Fax feature you can note that a TIFF appears in RingCentral.  So, it isn't simply relaying the file as I believe would happen if you email or drag/drop file into Application.

It would appear it is converting the file to TIFF and you stand a chance for degradation of quality.
2 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

That is correct.  No matter what file type you start out with (pdf, word, jpeg, etc), it will always convert the file type to tiff. . The degradation may appear to be better or worse depending on the original file type and the contents of that file. Again, If you want to post some sample screenshots here with some before and after samples we can take a look.

Updated:  See Benito's post below.

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
Attached are samples of something I attempted to send today, I have redacted portions.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Original

After Printing

benito avatar image
benito answered ·
Hello Davy, I found that there is a resolution setting you can change within the "printer" settings. Go to Devices and Printers in Control Panel.

Then right-click RingCentral Internet Fax and select Printer Properties.Then select the Advanced Tab, then Printing Defaults. (If it's grayed out, then you'll need admin rights to change, but back at the preference selecting or select preferences in Adobe's Print Properties settings will do the same before you "print to RingCentral")

In the next window, select the Page Settings tab, then there you will see that the DPI should be set at 240x240 by default. Raising this number will convert the original file to TIFF in a much better quality, but will also raise the file size so I wouldn't go too high.

General side note, if the PDF is in high-quality color or high-quality grayscale, then the fact that RingCentral or any app that will convert to black & white, won't come out too great using default settings, so selecting Print in grayscale (black and white), this combined with upping the DPI as shown below should help.

Hope this helps!
Benito
5 comments Share

Thanks for sharing Benito... I've edited my post above.
1 Like 1 · ·
I have changed DPI and set to greyscale, it still results in an unreadable fax though.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Just curious what DPI you used?  Mine seemed to have defaulted at 240... I changed it to 400 and there appeared to be a very slight improvement.   Anyone else who may have experimented with changing these settings please chime in if you found what seems to be optimal.
0 Likes 0 · ·
I have went all the way up to 800x800 and it still looks bad.  I would assume this affects all customers and they just don't realize.

How do we raise to the level of having RingCentral support address?  If this can't be resolved we will have to seek another solution as we have to be able to trust a readable fax is getting transmitted.
0 Likes 0 · ·
800x800 with greyscale comes close but I'm concerned we will have to touch every machine to update these settings.

Also, it is only an improvement, the fax still doesn't actually look as good as the orginal.  I'm not even talking about the printed fax, I'm looking at the stored image at RingCentral.  The printed fax can look even worse according to quality of machine.
0 Likes 0 · ·
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Hi Davy...  there really isn't anything in the RingCentral Internet Fax that allows you to adjust for quality.  When you use the Print to Fax feature it basically sends your file to the desktop app so it can be faxed out.  So, you might try playing with the settings on whatever the output device is. 

Also, the end quality might depend on the file that you are starting with.  Can you tell us what the file type is?  Also depending on the content of the original file (does it contain images, or is it all text), as graphics will sometimes not be great quality because they are converted to black and white. You are welcome to post some screenshots here if you want to share.

Mike

Any additional information regarding this?  This seems like a legitimate problem, but I've not been successful in getting RingCentral to resolve, or acknowledge problem.  Going to have to seek another provider soon if this cannot be improved.
1 comment Share

Sorry we don't have any immediate solution for this. Unfortunately there aren't any additional steps or settings other than what has been mentioned above.  We tested a variety of documents with different fonts, images etc and those with smaller and lighter fonts just tend not to come through as well as those with heavier styles.  You are welcome to post a feature request to improve the quality but we can't promise you if/when any improvements might be made.  The best solution if the fax quality is simply not sufficient might be to scan/email, or perhaps use a cloud file sharing service, or depending on who you are dealing with our Glip application works well for sharing files. 

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
kelly-hagan avatar image
kelly-hagan answered ·
I have having the same issue.  This did not start until some update or change in the ring central app about March or April.  I have had the problem since.  My data and files look great if scanned to desk top using a scanner and automatically scanned as pdf files.  I use the scan function on the fax from the same scanner with the same setting.  My white background is totally gray and you can barely read the black print this is on black and white settings. My screen shot was too large to post. I have tried all the steps above- I went up to 800 x 800 with black and white printing. I even tried color and decreasing the resolution.  This only made the background darker.  Please check your programming this was not happening before.  I am physician office and I fax multiple times a day that include notes, labs and radiology reports.  I need this fixed or I will have to look at other services.  Using scan/mail or glip are not appropriate options for my practice.  Gloria
2 comments Share

Kelly, We'll have to have specifics to research this. If you have not done so, please open a case.  Be sure to include samples; times, dates, number sent from/too etc.

0 Likes 0 · ·
Kelly, sorry to say I cannot report much has changed on this for us. I plan on switching to new vendor soon.
0 Likes 0 · ·
paul-sok avatar image
paul-sok answered ·
Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  We are trialing Ring Central and noticed the resolution and quality of the scan is noticeably worse when it is converted to .TIFF from PDF.  Any way to get it to send as PDF without converting?  This way it wouldn't lose the image quality.

I've exhausted all settings I could tweak on my own - i.e. 800 x 800 DPI in grayscale.  This is very frustrating.

Wish I had better news for you Paul, but there is no resolution to this that I've seen.  I opened a case with RingCentral about it and they claim it's fixed but clearly it's not.  Seems to be a fundamental lack of understanding on their part about where the problem resides.  They blame on recipient fax machine.  Or at least I hope it is a misunderstanding, and not a lack of caring.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces