question

mike avatar image
mike asked ·

Softphone crash after Windows update (Resolved)

A recent Microsoft update to the 32-bit Microsoft Office 2016 created a condition which can crash the RingCentral desktop application during the login. If you have experienced such a crash, please uninstall the desktop app and install the version 9.1.6.

Please note, version 
9.1.6  is a stable solution.

If you'd like to receive Community updates on this matter, please click the "Follow" button at the top of this page and we'll post updates as information becomes available.

Thank you!

Mike
topic-default
2 comments
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Mike, I updated using your link and the new application still doesn't allow me to access sent and received faxes. 
0 Likes 0 · ·
new topic Please reference the new conversation here: Deskktop App doesn't allow me to access sent and received faxes
0 Likes 0 · ·
142-allison-lukosavich- avatar image
142-allison-lukosavich- answered ·
I have 64 bit Microsoft Windows 10 computer, and was getting an alert prompting me that the program was going to close because a problem had occurred. I have installed the fix and it has resolved the issue, but I don't understand why the fix specifies 32-bit, when I have a 64 bit computer and encountered the same issue? -Allison 
12 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Microsoft offers their Office software in 32bit and 64bit versions. Even though you may have a 64bit operating system, it appears you have the 32bit version of Office.  This is common because Microsoft recommends the 32bit version of Office as it is more compatible with most other applications.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi. So Im running windows 10 64bit (both sides) and the "fix" did not work. I tried both installing straight to 9.1.6 and installing 1.9.4 first then "updating" to 9.1.6. It will not open. gets stuck at opening the app and says "program not responding." 
0 Likes 0 · ·
and yes I uninstalled and restarted at each point...
0 Likes 0 · ·
Jessy is correct. Your OS is 64 bit but your Office is 32bit being thats what microsoft recommends for compatibility reasons.

0 Likes 0 · ·
Try one more time.

Do a full uninstall of the ring central application. Then, open a browser and copy and paste the following into your URL bar.
http://downloads.ringcentral.com/sp/RingCentralForWindows-9.1.6.msi?_ga=2.222947038.414746928.149970...

1 Like 1 · ·
Show more comments
cesar-pineda avatar image
cesar-pineda answered ·
My co-worker had the same issue today in the morning and it solved the issue. I just uninstalled and reinstalled RC but I haven't done any Microsoft updates. The issue happened spontaneously. The soft phone was ringing and after it finished it happened and I'm also using 64 bit. I don't think is a Microsoft issue. 
1 comment Share

Cesar,  Is your OS 64 bit, or your version of Office 64 bit?  There's some confusion occurring on this matter.  This affects users with 32 bit Office, which can run on both 32 & 64 bit machines.

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
lachance avatar image
lachance answered ·
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ringcentral for windows stopped working. Ringcentral for windows stopped working - how to we fix this?

Issue started to manifest on July 4th and I was running the latest version 9.1.2.27093 on Windows 10

Chris Lovett avatar image
Chris Lovett answered ·
This solution (9.1.4) has worked for me thus far. But I ran into an access denied error when the msi installer was trying to write to the RingCentral folder in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. I used an application called Give Me Power (runs application as system) in order to get through it, but reviewing that folder just now, I was unable to see the RingCentral folder there. I have all variety of view options enabled (hidden/system) so I don't think it is my folder search or view settings that are keeping it out of sight. So long as it works, and I can get back to work, I think that's the most important part. Thank you for posting this!
1 comment Share

(Offtopic: There is a time limit to edit posts?)
Wanted to clarify for the sake of anyone reading this to come after me.
My workaround for the access denied error (running the msi installer as system), while it IS working, is one I don't recommend. Took me a minute to realize why I couldn't see the RingCentral folder installed where I anticipated it would be, and, of course, it's not there because it was being run by a different 'user' account, because of my workaround. I don't know if it is going to end up causing me any issues down the road to have the AppData/Roaming... etc information stored in the SystemProfile user folder, but because of that uncertainty I don't want anyone to get the impression that I suggest they follow my lead. :) I just know I needed to be able to answer phones today and using my cell for these work calls isn't acceptable.
0 Likes 0 · ·
emily-henson avatar image
emily-henson answered ·
This solution has worked for me, thank you! Is there a way to turn off automatic updates moving forward? I always have issues for a few days after each update.
1 comment Share

Emily,  There's a way, but we won't post instructions here on the Community as it his highly recommended to NOT turn off the update notifications this will cause problems in the future.  Also, this fix that was just released is temporary and we hope to have the final fix available in a few days. 

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
Marc Napoleon avatar image
Marc Napoleon answered ·
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled App won't open. my ringcentral app doesnt want to open 
when i try to open it. it says;: a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avaible. what i should i do in that case?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Desktop App: not refreshing.
1 comment Share

Marc,  see instructions at the top of this thread.  Let us know if you still have problems after installing the new version.

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Update - 7/7/17:  For more clarity we want to let you know that the recent crash issue is not isolated to the 9.1.2 RingCentral release. It may include other recent versions as well. The crash issue began after a Windows update affecting various versions of the RingCentral Desktop App.

Brad avatar image
Brad answered ·
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled The cabinet file 'softphone.cab' required for this installation is corrupt .. I have windows 10 and after I tried launching the RingCentral desktop app, I get a force close. So, I uninstalled and tried reinstalling. Then I get this error: The cabinet file 'softphone.cab' required for this installation is corrupt. 

Help! 
3 comments Share

Hi Brad,  try the download link in the main topic above.  Let us know if you still have problems.

Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
Still having problems and same error even after uninstall and reinstall with current version. Help!
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hello Brad, I would suggest contacting support and providing them with a screen shot of this error message.
0 Likes 0 · ·
lachance avatar image
lachance answered ·
So far the 9.1.4 workaround seems to work. I wished we had it 3 days ago :)

melanie-miraflor avatar image
melanie-miraflor answered ·
I am trying to install version 9.1.6.  But after it open to a new tab, it says the page cannot be displayed. Why? What to do?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces