question

michael-hartman avatar image
michael-hartman asked ·

Our experiences and frustrations with the Android App

We recently started using Ring Central for our small business.  We are regularly in the field and this is a description of the use of the Android App when out of the office.  

Quality: When the Android phone is on 4G we experience delays, buffering, and disconnects constantly.  In comparison, standing in the exact same spot using the same phone and using Skype works flawlessly and provides excellent audio quality.  We have a good connection and full bars, yet we have never been able to have a decent conversion with the ring central app over cellular.  WiFi is obviously better, but attempting to communicate with customers when you are constantly getting buffering, lags, reconnects and disconnects is unacceptable.  We have starting using ringout for outgoing calls, and forwarding calls to our cell phone number for incoming calls because it is unprofessional using the app.  Bottom line: The ring central app on android using 4G seems pretty useless and frustrating.  

When we bring this issue to tech support, we are told simply that it is a poor data connection.  But there never seems to be a good connection. Ever.  And if Skype can work better (with video no less) in the exact same spot with the exact same connection, then I would expect that the ring central app should be able to work as well.

Bluetooth:  For whatever reason, the audio levels using Bluetooth seem to be substantially lower (both mic and speaker) using ring central app vs using Skype or the regular phone app.  We cannot seem to get the other party to hear us or us hear them very well.  Max volume is often not enough in a semi-noisy area.  

Calls: The app does not always ring.  When we have the app enabled, we generally have it set to rollover to call the cellphone if the user doesn't answer on the app, and often the app never rings on the android phone at all and we get the call on our phone first.  If we don't forward to the cell phone, we simply miss the calls.  This is about 50/50.

At this point, our experience is terrible when on the road.  It works fine on WiFi at the office, but seems completely unusable outside that environment.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We will be forced to move to another service if our experience doesn't get any better.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bruce.cai avatar image
bruce.cai answered ·
Hi Michael, Thanks for your detail feedback. Issue 1 & 2: we will investigate immediately, can you place a call by using 4G, then send us the log via Profile picture' -> 'About' -> 'Send Feedback Email'? Please also add a short description there and cc to bruce.cai@ringcentral.com Issue 3: Can you provide information below so we can further diagnose? - Android device model - Android OS version - Bluetooth headset model - Account phone number Thanks you.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

michael-hartman avatar image
michael-hartman answered ·
We only have 2 people. We use a Nexus 5x and an LG G6.  The nexus is running 7.1.1 and the LG is running 7.0.  We have used multiple bluetooth devices including a SENSO ActivBuds and a few rental cars equipped with bluetooth. We are on different plans so one phone is Verizon(Nexus 5x) and the LG G6 is on AT&T.

I don't think putting our phone number in the forum is a good idea but I will try and get a log sent as soon as possible.  
3 comments Share

Hello Michael,

I've made this thread private so that only you, myself, and Bruce can see it in order to protect your private information :)
0 Likes 0 · ·
Also, Michael, here are the instructions on gathering the debug logs that Bruce mentioned
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi Michael

I'd also like to know more details on the Bluetooth issue you mentioned.

We have used multiple bluetooth devices including a SENSO ActivBuds and a few rental cars equipped with bluetooth. 

>> 1) Can you let me know the car model?
>> 2) Do you have other Bluetooth headset that you can run an additional test?
>> 3) When you adjust volume on Android phone when in a RingCentral call, does it work?

Thanks.
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces