question

philip123 avatar image
philip123 asked ·

We only have RC faxing, so why are we getting voicemails?

Hi! We got a RingCentral account exclusively for the digital faxing, however it appears that if people call the fax number from a phone they are able to leave a voicemail.

Is it possible to prevent this from happening? Ideally we would play a message letting them know that they have called a fax number, but an auto-disconnect would be fine too.

topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

philip123 avatar image
philip123 answered ·

Hi Luke,

I tried to follow the directions linked, however when I get to "Assigning your Fax Number to the Fax Only Extension" I do not have the options that are available in the guide. Specifically, a fax is not listed next to the main number, and if I click on the main number, it cannot be changed from "Voice and Fax" to "Fax only" (or be automatically directed to the "message only" extension previously set up).

Thanks!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

luke avatar image
luke answered ·
Hi Philip, you can definitely do this. The quick answer is that you can select 'fax only' for that number while viewing it in the Phone System > Phones & Numbers view, then assign that number to a Messages-Only Extension. This will cause the number to disconnect a call immediately if it is called, but will still allow faxes. We have a good guide on how to create a fax-only extension. Let us know any follow up questions!

luke avatar image
luke answered ·
Look at the section titled "Additional Fax Number" in the article. If the number you want to use for fax is assigned to the Auto-Receptionist or a user, you can find it in the Phone System > Phone Numbers view under either 'Company' or 'Assigned'.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces