question

jason-robinson6768 avatar image
jason-robinson6768 asked ·

Can't hear caller on Desktop App

I have been trying to get the Windows Desktop application to work for several weeks. Here is what I know:
  • I can use the Chrome extension and everything works
  • I can use the android app and everything works
  • When using the Desktop SoftPhone (latest version that came out today) the other person can hear me, but I can't hear them
  • It is not my bluetooth headset (I tried built in speakers and mic)
  • The Sound settings in the app playback just fine
  • My firewall is turned off on my PC
  • My network firewall is recognizing uPNP requests and opening that port
  • Using a friend's PC on my local network, I was able to get the Softphone working just fine
I know there are differences in the desktop Softphone app and the chrome extension, but they all seem to be network related. I am not sure what else to try.

topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

monte4eqis8901 avatar image
monte4eqis8901 answered ·
Hi Jason, 

I've been having THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. It's been driving us crazy.  We've also tested with older versions of the RC softphone app but have the same problem. All audio works fine on the computer, headsets, desktop speakers, etc. until an RC call is made. Then the RC user can't hear the conversation, but the person on the other end can. 

As soon as the RC user hangs up the call, headsets, speakers, etc. start working again. 

We also use Cisco Umbrella OpenDNS Roaming Client, and the issue seems to be tied to DNS, because when we flushdns and remove the Umbrella client, RC starts working correctly again. Until it doesn't. Flushdns again, and it starts working again, until it doesn't. 

Do you happen to use OpenDNS in your setup as well? 

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jason-robinson6768 answered ·
No I am not using OpenDNS. I was using Google's DNS servers, but switched back to my ISP's DNS due to other issues. But I am not sure how to feel about not being alone on this issue! :)

I also followed this:
https://netstorage.ringcentral.com/guides/netgear.pdf
Did not help. I did find one setting that I had missed (Disable SIP ALG)

I just tried ipconfig /flushdns and it did not change the situation for me. I wonder if running that and removing the Umbrella client resets the TCP/IP stack somehow.

Coupled with the ipconfig /flushdns I've been having to either reboot the computer or purging data from the Settings > Support Purge Data option in the softphone application for it to work.

Then RC shuts down, and we sign back in. Then it has been working again, until it stops again.

Also, we can tell if it's working again when we place a test call. If we can hear the call ringing, then we know it'll work. We can always hear the RC softpone dialing buttons being pressed, but if we can't hear the ring tone then we know the RC user's local audio won't work during the call. 

It's disappointing that you're experiencing the same issue but DON'T use OpenDNS, because were were hoping it was related to that. It seems to be somehow DNS related, but now I'm completely stumped. 

Like you, we've tested with the Windows Firewall complete disabled. And the fact that it works sometimes leads me to question how it could be hardware firewall related. We use Cisco Meraki gear, and nothing has changed in our security policies lately. No networking updates, etc. Same ports open, etc. Everything had been working fine until this week. 

Another piece to the puzzle: Inbound calls don't come up for the desktop app, but the missed call notification does. Both the android app and the Chrome extension recognize and notify on incoming calls. This tells me it really is a networking/connectivity issue, but it is possible that this is completely unrelated.

Same exact thing happens for us. The softphone application on desktop won't ring or otherwise indicate that there' an incoming call, but the mobile app will. 

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered ·
Hello Everyone,

I would suggest you two contact support so we can troubleshoot with you live.

Hi Saadet, 

I think both of us have been in contact with support and have been troubleshooting. Even with support's help (I have a case currently open with Tier 2), we aren't sure what the cause is. On my open case, it was presumed to be an issue caused by Cisco Umbrella OpenDNS, but Jason doesn't use OpenDNS at all and is experiencing the exact same symptoms. 

I did have a support ticket but it was closed upon figuring out that another PC running Windows 10 on the same network had to problems with calls or receiving inbound calls. I can't use that that other PC (it was borrowed) so I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my main PC.

Also, I don't consider this to necessarily be a defect in RC's software, the likelihood that this my specific PC and it's settings or other software is quite high.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces