question

hootsuite-app avatar image
hootsuite-app asked ·

Experiencing High Pings

In response to grandmasterneil on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/grandmasterneil/status/916014798634127362 Anyone else experiencing @RingCentral issues? Seeing high pings and support is no help. Tried pinging from servers in 3 different US states.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Hi Neil,

Could you be more specific and provide examples of what you're seeing?

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

neil-angeles avatar image
neil-angeles answered ·
Ping to 199.255.120.146 from site 1: 78ms min, 1623ms max, 165ms avg over 666 pings with one drop. Ping from site 2: 73ms min, 1648ms max, 201ms avg over 1551 packets with 2% packet loss. Have been experiencing dropped calls since Monday. Tried troubleshooting with ISP first they said the issue is outside of their network and the pings from different states indicate that as well.

neil-angeles avatar image
neil-angeles answered ·
Site 3 shows 75ms/1619ms/190ms for min/max/avg

saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Hi Neil,

I see you have case 06271862 open with us right now and an agent is working with you. I've contacted the agent and their manager so we can get this taken care of. If you haven't already, I would suggest getting screen shots of these pings in progress and also call samples. You can attach your samples directly to your case by clicking on the button below.
2 comments Share

Yes, I submitted a ticket and unfortunately, it took two hours to submit all the information and the ticket doesn't show up on my account.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hmmm....that's super weird! I'll let them know you can't see it, etc.
0 Likes 0 · ·
bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered ·
Have you tried  https://www.ringcentral.com/support/qos.html ?  Just for reference I have not noticed any issues in the San Francisco area and my results show:

8 comments Share

Hey Brandon, I have used that tool but I'm unfortunately not currently at the site which is experiencing issues. I was there on Tuesday and it ran it twice. Once showed clear the next showed all kinds of errors.

Can you run some pings from your site to the sip.ringcentral.com endpoint? I've tried from Texas, New York, and California and saw a lot of latency. Traceroute showed that the time compounded after it hit the Level 3 node.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Here is a short one (I used the IP I saw the QOS test tool using:
--- 199.255.120.184 ping statistics ---

116 packets transmitted, 116 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 5.047/10.321/16.153/1.528 ms

And here is to sip.ringcentral.com:
--- sip.ringcentral.com ping statistics ---

62 packets transmitted, 59 packets received, 4.8% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 9.529/236.959/1557.318/453.719 ms

You may be on to something since the .146 does reflect packet loss for me too.

0 Likes 0 · ·
Who is your ISP, Brandon and Neil?
0 Likes 0 · ·
Yeah, sip.ringcentral.com resolves to the 146 address for me. I understand that ICMP traffic gets deprioritized or dropped but it's the simplest metric I have access to on multiple servers when trying to determine if it's my equipment on a particular site that's causing issues.

199.255.120.184 looks cleaner.
0 Likes 0 · ·
The site I'm trying to troubleshoot is Time-Warner Cable (Spectrum). It's a 10M dedicated fiber line with only VOIP phone traffic going over it.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments
bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered ·
It is also notable that ping/traceroute are *not* reliable tests for voice quality across a network.  Many places between you and RingCentral will ignore, block or set low priority for ICMP traffic.  This is not to say you are not experiencing issues, I just don't think ping is a very effective tool for troubleshooting.  

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces