question

pat-lewis avatar image
pat-lewis asked ·

Ring Group Cost

Am I right in thinking that a Ring Group will incur cost down the line, when exceeding 10 calls per month?  I believe the thought process on this was that the extra features on the line (Glip, Meetings, Smart Phone App, etc.) warrant the need for the cost.  As an MSP with multiple clients, I would rather not have to change away from this Ring Group setup down the line, if this will begin to incur a cost.

All that said, a queue cannot support an organization that has a pair of receptionists taking all the calls coming into the main line.  Call waiting is necessary in this situation, so we have to use a Ring Group.  While we are at it, it would be nice to have a solution that did not destroy Presence.  In a perfect world, we would see a new type of group in the Groups section under Phone System. Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Whats the Difference Between a Call Queue and a Ring Group?.
topic-default
2 comments
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

I am unsure, for your case scenario I would suggest contacting your Account Manger.
0 Likes 0 · ·
TKO There are many reasons that we cannot quote or confirm account pricing details here on the community. Please contact your account rep to discuss this matter. Mike
0 Likes 0 · ·
saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Hi Pat,

In the example I gave, no additional cost will occur since the Ring Group is on an extension that has a full Digital Line. How do you have your Ring Group set up currently? I would be more than happy to take a look :)

And I completely understand why you would want a Ring Group for your situation. 

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Furthermore, if you have a set up like the example below, you will not be charged extra.

Extension 102 receives calls from a main number. This extension has no Digital Line attached to it. On extension 102 is a Ring Group with 4 individuals who have Digital Lines and answer the calls for the main number.

pat-lewis avatar image
pat-lewis answered ·
Thanks for the clarification on the cost incurred!
4 comments Share

You're welcome, Pat!

Would this feature be something you would like to vote on?
0 Likes 0 · ·
Honestly, no.  I cannot see the need to see a Queue in Presence other than to have a speed dial button.  Queues do not lose the Presence status, as you can tell when a User has a call given to them by a Queue.  In a Ring Group on a User that has no digital line, the call is with the Ring Group User and not with the desk phone's User, thus Presence does not work.

If it could be implemented to show a Presence status associated to a phone (i.e. I watch Dave's Presence, and Dave's desk phone has a call) and not specifically the user extension, this may correct the issue.  Alternatively, if there could be implemented a true Ring Group in the groups section under Phone System, that provided both Call Waiting and Presence, this would solve the issue of a receptionist group.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi Pat,

If it is okay with you, I can create a Feature Request on your behalf using your own words. If you would prefer to submit it yourself here are the instructions. Let me know which you would prefer :)

Or you could vote on this request regarding adding Presence to a Ring Group
0 Likes 0 · ·
I added a comment to:
https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/presence-status-controlled-by-extension-behavior-instead-of-phone-behavior

I hope this gets updated, as we currently have no option for Call Waiting and Presence to work successfully for a group.  Thanks!
1 Like 1 · ·
pat-lewis avatar image
pat-lewis answered ·
When we setup a client on RingCentral, we will either send all incoming calls to an IVR, to a Queue, or to a Ring Group specifically for the incoming calls (e.g. Front Desk, Main Ring, etc.).  Using a Queue we get to keep the Presence feature, that will allow someone to see that the receptionist is on the phone, but lose call waiting.  In low call volume operations, this is used as we can add a backup to the receptionist, and these "backup receptionists" can see when the receptionist is on the line.

When call waiting is a must, we will setup a Ring Group that is separate from any other user, using a User Without a Phone.  We would not use the receptionists RingCentral user, to ensure calls to the DID or extension only ring that receptionist, and not all the phones expected to answer incoming calls.  This breaks Presence, as you cannot tell if Receptionist 1 is on the line, as the "user" Front Desk is taking a call.

To my understanding, if we use a User Without a Phone, and send 10 calls a month to this extension, we will incur the cost as if the user had a phone setup per normal.  I need clarification, as I know this is the case when the user sends to a non-RingCentral phone, but I am not sure it is the case when we use the "Forward to Other's Phone" option.

Currently I feel stuck between two options: call waiting or presence.  If possible, I would like to request a new group type, that would replace the current Ring Group setup.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces