question

shelby-tanner avatar image
shelby-tanner asked ·

Call log: Seeing missed calls while on inactive status

This is a U.S. account type. I have spoke to 3 different RingCentral support agents over the past few months about this issue, with no luck resolving it. 

Our company has the calls ring through to 3 different agents before it rings out. But each agent used to be able to see the missed call in the call log with a 0:00:00 second length if they were set on inactive status. Something changed with that process and now the call log only shows accepted calls, and declined or missed calls taken when on active status.

It's important to see those missed calls that ring through so we can contact them back.
topic-default
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

shelby-tanner answered ·
Well, I'm really just referring to my own extension. If my status is to "take all calls", in a sequentially call queue, but under "call handling & forwarding" in the settings, my direct line is not active to receiving calls. 

This is on the service desktop website, not the app.

There are more than 3 agents taking calls, but we have it set to each call that comes in goes through 3 extensions before ringing through to voicemail. 

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Hi Shelby,

I don't follow....Are you the Super Admin on the account?

As an Admin I can see the 00:00 you're referring to if the call was missed by a member in the Queue. 

Please provide an example and more information.

shelby-tanner answered ·
I am not the Super Admin on the account.

If someone calls in, and my number is not active to receive calls under the Call Handling & Forwarding, it would show up on the call log as a missed call at 0:00:00. But after 20 seconds, it goes to another agents queue, and if they are set on active to receive calls, they can answer it. 

So even if another agent answered the same caller after it rang through my extension, it would have shown up on my call log as a missed call. 

saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Hi Shelby,

I made this post private so you can provide account specific information. Please provide screen shots and call samples so I can get a better understanding.

shelby-tanner answered ·
This is what my call log looks like as of now: 

These only show up if I'm on "active" in the Call Handling & Forwarding under Settings. What is missing now are the missed calls that would have rang to my extension when on "inactive" for the queue calls. 

I'm not an expert on the process of how Ring Central works, so I'm not sure how to explain this better in technical terms. 

Which part are you having trouble understanding? 
8 comments Share

Hello Shelby,

If you're turning off your device via Call Handling & Forwarding, the system will not know/cannot send the call to your device. Therefore, it will not show up as a missed call because it is never going to the device. This set up you have will stop all calls going to you - whether the call originates from the Call Queue or is a direct call to your extension.

If you need to not take calls from the Call Queue, you will want to use the Do Not Disturb function. Is there a reason why you are not using this?
0 Likes 0 · ·
What do you mean by "turning off my device"?

This is Inactive Status:

This is Active Status:

I am not referring to missed calls to my direct extension, only missed queue calls that ring through when I am on Inactive Status. 
0 Likes 0 · ·
So what you consider "inactive" vs "active" is you literally turning your device "off" from connection to RingCentral's Service. What you're doing will cause you to not receive any phone calls. You're shutting off the ability for the system to even allow a call to come across your extension and the devices on your extension. Therefore, no calls will show up in your call log.

0 Likes 0 · ·
That's not the way it worked until a few months ago. I would still have missed calls on my call log when on inactive.

Regardless, how can I now be able to see missed calls that ring through my queue while my device is turned off? 
0 Likes 0 · ·
Sorry, Shelby - there is no way at this time. In fact, there is a Feature Request under consideration right now (most likely in the works of being implemented) that many customers have been asking for. They don't want missed calls to be shown in an individual's call log if the call was actually answered by another person in the queue. The thought being, the call was answered/handled, therefore, there is no need for it to show up as missed on anyone else's call log.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments
mike avatar image
mike answered ·
Hi Shelby,  I've also looked into this, and also double checked with a senior engineer and confirmed it's not possible to view these missed calls unless you are, or were an admin that has the ability to view the missed calls from the call queue log. 

The best solution that we have at this time (as an Admin) is to add an email address to the notification settings for that call queue as shown below. More than one email address can be added to the field, if multiple people need to be notified of missed calls.  

If you really need to see the actual call log for the queue, then you will want to talk to the Super Admin on your account to see if you can be granted admin access. 

Mike 

If you would like to see this functionality give to all Users on the account please follow the steps on the page below, and be sure to include a detailed use case scenario so that our product team can understand the need for this to be available to general users on an account. 

How do I submit a request for a new Idea or Feature?

luke avatar image
luke answered ·
Hi Shelby. I'd like to get a bit more information to investigate this.

How are the 3 agents getting the call, are they in a call queue or are their phones listed in the Call Handling & Forwarding settings on a user extension?

When you say they are inactive, are they setting this status on the service website or an app, and which status are they choosing in order to set themselves as 'inactive'? Or are they just putting their deskphone to the dnd (do not disturb) setting?

Where are your agents looking at the call log, are they looking at it on the service website or are they looking at it on one of the softphone apps?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces