question

sales-line avatar image
sales-line asked ·

Softphone stops updating new text messages

We use the desktop smartphone every day at work, communicating mostly via text message with our team and customers.  I also have it on my mobile phone.  At random points, it seems the smartphone stops updating.  No new text messages appear, no notifications, etc.  I've noticed it because i do get new messages on my mobile app.  My office manager doesn't have the mobile app activated so when she's monitoring communications like the other day when i was at a conference, it's not apparent when a message is missed. 

If you search for a contact person and open up a text string with them, the new messages are there, but you don't think to do it because of the lack of notifications, their text doesn't jump to the top of the queue, etc.  It's as if it just times out and stops updating.  

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice? 

Mike
topic-default
1 comment
1 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks TKO.  I replied to Luke saying I'd prefer not to uninstall/reinstall as it will delete all text conversations--something I need to keep for reference.  I don't know how it can be an old router for me--my computers are ethernet wired to our Comcast modem which was installed about a year ago.  Logging out/back in a couple times per day is probably the only thing I can do to be sure I get most things.  Although I did that today and didn't get any messages updated unless I searched specifically for a contact that I knew had a new text, opened up the old conversation--then the new texts would appear and the text would just up on the timeline.  

I've found text messaging with Ring Central to be invaluable for my business, but it has glitched a few times in big ways that have cost me significant time/money.  This one is subtle but has potential to cause significant issues with my business should key text messages go unnoticed.  
0 Likes 0 · ·
luke avatar image
luke answered ·
Hi Mike,

That sounds pretty frustrating. I would first try Re-syncing the Messages Inbox and see if that improves the reliability of the message notifications. If you continue to have troubles after that I would recommend completely uninstalling the mobile app, restarting your device, and then reinstalling.

Let us know how it goes.
1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Luke, I will try re-syncing.  Uninstalling/reinstalling is not a good option as I have had to do it in the past and it will delete all text history--something I rely on for at least several weeks to reference what was communicated to resolve any possible conflicts/disputes.  
0 Likes 0 · ·
saadet.swift avatar image
saadet.swift answered ·
Hey Sales Line, what version of the softphone and mobile app are you on?

cglassy avatar image
cglassy answered ·
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-04-16 :::  This is a known issue in version 9.4.3  of RingCentral Desktop for Windows,  it is supposed to be fixed with the updated version (now named RingCentral Phone) 10.0 which is presently rolling out.  Contact your Customer Success Mgr for details when your account should be receiving it.   

We were using the workaround for the last few weeks, of Logging Out of the softphone, then logging back in - this would usually force a refresh. 

Not efficient
but it did work in a pinch. 

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces