question

kent-schlieve9495 avatar image
kent-schlieve9495 asked david-parent3461 answered

RingCentral Meetings Remote Control Options vs Remote Support

Can someone please tell me the difference between the "Enable the remote control of applications" option on the RingCentral meeting desktop apps settings page under general

vs

the "Remote Support" option under the online admin panel for meetings in the "In Metting Advanced" section?

meetings
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

david-parent3461 avatar image
david-parent3461 answered
Good question... I check the "Enable the remote control of applications" option for each employee as it allows me to perform Admin tasks via RC meetings desktop sharing when a UNC prompt comes up. Without it checked, as admin you cannot type your account information when prompted... keyboard is disabled. Not sure about the "Remote Support" option... it may allow the "Remote Support" button to display at the top of the sharing screen when in a meeting for users.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Kent,

So Remote Support allows you to do way more than the "Enable the remote control of applications". I'll go through some of the things I saw when testing it out briefly and you can check out the article I linked you as well :)

So when you enable Remote Support, you will see this option in your RingCentral Meeting:

Once my colleague (who has Admin rights on his own PC) approved my request for control, he was prompted to enter his Admin Credentials. So, I'm not sure how that step looks if the Attendee does not have Admin Rights on their PC. Once I took over I had free reign and then when I clicked on the Support button again, I saw these options:

From our brief testing, Remote Support is very useful for doing things that an IT department would do when troubleshooting someone's PC. The  "Enable the remote control of applications" option didn't have any of the options above so I believe it is limited in its capability. Hope that helps!

1 |3000

peter-tirado12514 avatar image
peter-tirado12514 answered

I work in the IT department and the feature doesn't allow to enter the local Admin credentials of the user's computer.

So, when I request desktop control, on the user's screen they have to enter the Admin credentials for the computer but will not let me see it or able to enter it myself since the computers are all setup/imaged by the IT department.
1 |3000

david-parent3461 answered carlin12269 commented
Hi Peter,

Within the RC meetings desktop application settings for each user, there is a checkbox called "Enable the remote control of applications". 

With this option enabled for each employee, as it allows me to perform Admin tasks via RC meetings desktop sharing when a UNC prompt comes up. Without it checked, as admin you cannot type your account information when prompted... the keyboard is disabled... so the end user would have to login, but in my company, I don't assign local admin rights to users.

Hope this helps,

-David
3 comments
1 |3000

carlin12269 avatar image carlin12269 commented ·
Oh ok thank you. Hopefully that gets updated, that is too manual for the size of our company. 
1 Like 1 ·
carlin12269 avatar image carlin12269 commented ·
The problem is that it asks the user to admin rights to enable that and our users do not have admin rights

0 Likes 0 ·
david-parent3461 avatar image david-parent3461 commented ·
Correct.. so we enable it at the time we setup each employee.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mitek Systems avatar image
Mitek Systems answered

Is there a way to control the option "Enable the remote control of applications" from the command line (or regedit)?

1 |3000

david-parent3461 answered

This may be a RingCentral support question.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app