question

rob-larose9408 avatar image
rob-larose9408 asked David Green answered

Glip helper tool prompt

Many (not all) users were prompted again for admin credentials to install a helper tool today. This is a repeat of what happened the last time the desktop app version was updated.

Last time I spoke with a Glip product head but was essentially told "that shouldn't happen," with no explanation of what this is, how it's triggered, or why some users are prompted while others are silently updated.

Please explain?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jim-wilhelmsen14176 avatar image
jim-wilhelmsen14176 answered
Today, I moved the RingCentral app out of /Applications and into user/username/Applications.  The helper prompt does not come up.  Not sure if there is something missing by doing this, but that app seems to be working and there is no prompt.  We only really use the app for Glip, so I don't know if this would impact one of the other features or not.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

michael-kay avatar image
michael-kay answered michael-kay commented
We have done all of these suggestions (and more) and had multiple cases opened and it's made no difference so far. Pretty frustrating. 
2 comments
1 |3000

jim-wilhelmsen14176 avatar image jim-wilhelmsen14176 commented ·
When you move the app to the Users application folder do you delete it from the main Applications folder and make sure you are launching from the User Applications folder?
0 Likes 0 ·
michael-kay avatar image michael-kay commented ·
Yeah, we've done that. Also all of the chown's and chmod's to verify the user has rwx to those directories listed aboev as well as the glip.app directory contents. 
0 Likes 0 ·
ross-matsuda avatar image
ross-matsuda answered aaron-gardner commented
Poking this old thread with a new workaround:
Delete the following file post-installation - doing this removes the URL reference RC.app would use to check for software updates, halting auto-updates for the moment. Tested in 20.2.30

"/Applications/RingCentral.app/Contents/Resources/app-update.yml"

Inelegant and I can't vouch for how long it will work, but I've had success adding rm $thatFileName to my installer script. Please post results here, whether this worked for you or no so I can update this if needed.
1 comment
1 |3000

aaron-gardner avatar image aaron-gardner commented ·
I am going to attempt this. I have been having this issue for awhile know but just have been logging into the users computer to run the update. Unfortunately, that is a daily task sometimes. 

I am losing my mind with it. I am only person who works with the Macs in my company. I deploy RC via JAMF. That works great but will start running a bash script to remove this update. I already have to do that with Microsoft Updates too. 

0 Likes 0 ·
David Green avatar image
David Green answered

I along with at least one other team member is having this issue with "trying to add a new helper tool" prompt but the prompt will not go away no matter what PW we use. Can anyone help me figure out what's to do. This is a big problem when giving a presentation or using other app. the only work around I found is to "quit" the RingCentral app. Thank you

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app