question

Phil Clark avatar image
Phil Clark asked jessica-community-moderator commented

Answering incoming calls from another handset/extension (Polycom VVX 300/310)

Our company has recently installed Polycom VVX 300/310 phones throughout our organization. I believe there is a way for someone sitting at a desk to remotely answer a call ringing to another extension. (Example: an incoming or transferred call is ringing at extension 105. The person that sits at 105 is not at their desk, but their co-worker at extension 106 is available. How can the person at 106 answer the call at 105 without walking over to that handset? Is there a code that can be input at 106 that allows them to retrieve the ringing call at 105?) Also, if I'm correct in my assumption that this is a standard feature, does anything need to be configured on the handsets to make this functionality work?

hardware
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mona-graoui7095 avatar image
mona-graoui7095 answered
Hello Phil, 

So there are 2 ways that you can have a user from one extension pick up calls from another on their assigned device. This will have to be set up before you can have them answer calls that are going to another users extension. 

The first way is to set up presence on both extensions so that the other user is monitoring the line of the extension that is receiving the calls and then enable the "Ring my phone when a line I am monitoring rings" but this will cause every call that the receiving extension has to ring on the phone for the other user. 

The second way would be to set up a RingGroup on the extension of the user receiving the call. So when you are in the Call handling & forwarding for the extension that is going to be receiving the call you can add the device of the other user by clicking on the 3 dot button next to the "Add call forwarding phone" button and you will see an option that says "Forward to other's phones" I am including a screenshot of that button with this post. You will click that button and then select the phone for the user that want as back up (please note if they use both a physical desk phone and the desktop application both will have to be added in this manner separately) and then you will update the call handling so that the phone for the second extension is set up later in the call handling than the user whose extension is actually receiving the call, so that way anytime a call is not picked up in whatever ring time that you have set for their phones it will then forward to the device for your back up to be able to pick up the call on their phone. You can also set it up for the backup user to get the call simultaneously but again it will be the same as before where every call to receiving user will ring on the other user phone. 

If necessary you could also set up an advanced rule with forwarding to just the back up users phone but this will require the receiving user or a super admin to log into the portal and enable the rule everytime they leave their desk. 

In terms of the functionality that you are looking for, I believe the RingGroup would work best for you since the calls will only hit the back up if the receiving user does not answer the call in the set ring time. 

Let us know if you have any other questions about this. 

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phil Clark avatar image
Phil Clark answered
Thank you!!
1 |3000

cat13438 avatar image
cat13438 answered Chuck Fuscone commented
I need to know if this is going to be easy from another phone in another building. We just got another building and one of the best features is that I can get my calls anywhere. I will have different numbers for our company and different places after this merge we just did. We are pretty new at Ring Central and need this feature to be available so that no matter where I am at I can grab another line like any other regular office phone. Please advise on the accessibility? Thank you.    
1 comment
1 |3000

Chuck Fuscone avatar image Chuck Fuscone commented ·
You should be able to set up presence so that you could easily pick up a call on a monitored line.

understanding your call flow is important as there are multiple ways to accomplish this.

So as long as you phone has the presence assigned for the other incoming lines you should be able to do this.

Thanks
Chuck Fuscone
Certified Ring central Consultant
Chuck@Yoritguy.com
0 Likes 0 ·
jim-mitchell avatar image
jim-mitchell answered jessica-community-moderator commented
I have a Polycom VVX450 and have three other users lines appear on my phone.  My phone rings when they have an incoming call.  Cannot figure out how to pick up an incoming call from one of those lines when it rings on my phone.  If I click the line button on my phone, it just rings their extension.  If I click the pickup button and then their line, it rings their extension.  How do I pick up an incoming call on one of these lines that appear and ring on my phone?
1 comment
1 |3000

jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hey Jim, 

It sounds like presence may not be set up correctly. Please open a case with our tech support team so they can look at your account settings and double check everything. 

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app