question

sals13431 avatar image
sals13431 asked mary-community-moderator edited

need to forward our main fax number to another fax number outside of Ringcentral--for new emr

Need to forward the fax number from ringcentral to outside of ringcentral system. Is there a way to do it other than to port the number out? 
call forwarding
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
You should be able to do this with an advanced call handling or custom call handling rule.  Is the fax number attached to a user or is it the main fax that comes with the account?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

sals13431 avatar image
sals13431 answered mary-community-moderator edited
We do have two fax numbers.  One is attached to a user, and one that is main fax #.  I would to forward the main Fax # that comes with account.  I can always switch the numbers if needed.
1 comment
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·

I might be wrong about being able to do this for your main number fax, but for fax numbers associated to users this should guide you: https://support.ringcentral.com/article/9758.html

I would chat with support about how to do this for the main fax. They may need to move it to a user to allow you to do an unconditional call forward on it.

Good luck.

1 Like 1 ·
sals13431 avatar image
sals13431 answered alan-cruce commented
We are trying to make another of our fax number as fax dedicated line only and switch the Fax line that we currently use as main fax line to a voice and fax line.  Then we will be able to forward unconditionally.  That is a work around solution.  Will let you know once we make the swtich if that will work.  
3 comments
1 |3000

sals13431 avatar image sals13431 commented ·
yes, you are right. 
1 Like 1 ·
bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
This is what I think will work.  Let us know.  You might end up preferring to port the fax number though because you have to pay for the line with RC.
0 Likes 0 ·
alan-cruce avatar image alan-cruce commented ·
This does not work, even with unconditional forwarding, you can not forward a FAX transmission to an external number through Ring Central unless we are doing something wrong. 

I have tried on numerous occasions to do an unconditional forward of the dedicated FAX line and a regular voice/fax line to an external number and it does not work.  I have been told by RC that you can not forward a RC FAX to an outside line.  If anybody has any other answers, please let me know.
0 Likes 0 ·
jay-nichols5644 avatar image
jay-nichols5644 answered Samuel Alcantar commented
I was told that there is no way to port or forward your fax number outside of RC.  We have a fax # for our EMR that will automatically put the faxes in the correct medical chart or assign an action for a staffer to review.  I have to forward faxes manually in order for the automated system to work.  When I inquired about fax forwarding, I was told only voice lines can be forwarded.  So once again, RC fails in its support.
3 comments
1 |3000

sals13431 avatar image sals13431 commented ·
because we had ported in our fax number(used for last 10 years) to Ring Central system, and now do not want to change the fax number to new 877 number given by our EMR system.  If forwarding doesn't work, we will have to port the number to EMR system and stop using Ringcentral system. 
2 Likes 2 ·
Samuel Alcantar avatar image Samuel Alcantar sals13431 commented ·

Have you heard any updates to making the main fax number forwardable? Our current work-around is to have fax attachments sent to a group email, then download and forward to our EHR system... not ideal, but manageable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chuck Fuscone avatar image Chuck Fuscone commented ·
Curious, why do people fax to a RC fax number that would have to be forwarding to your EMR system?

Cant then just send to the fax number at the EMR system?

Brandon's answer will work.  RC just needs to move the number in your system so that there is more flexibility

Chuck
1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app