question

guy4pigplay14091 avatar image
guy4pigplay14091 Suspended asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

Unable to log in to RingCentral Meetings from one Mac. Problem is identical to Eduardo's

About 4 days ago, RingCentral Meetings on one of my Macs (MacMini i7, 16GB, running OSX 10.11.6) started exhibiting the same behavior as reported in the community forum by at least a half dozen users now. Every time I try to log in, RC Meetings reports I am not connected to the Internet, and I need to check my network connection. My Internet connection works just fine because I can connect to every other Internet service or website I use. I can even connect to the RingCentral Glip app. Because I can't log in, I am unable to connect to meetings and the floating window with Join Meeting / Start Meeting buttons won't load. FYI: I am running RC Meetings for Mac version 6.3.135305.1213, which is the most recent version as reported by the application itself.

At first, I thought the issue might be an account problem, but my tests demonstrated that wasn't the case. I was able to log in to my account from the web at service.ringcentral.com. Next, I attempted to use RC Meetings from my Mac laptop. Everything worked perfectly.

Now for the real clincher, I can log in to RC Meetings, and it works beautifully on the same Mac where I'm experiencing this issue when I boot the Mac from an external SSD running a slightly earlier version of MacOSX (version 10.10). The only variation I have noted is a report by the MacOS network traffic inspection utility, Little Snitch, which reports RC Meeting's digital signature is different when running from the external SSD partition than when booting from my primary internal SSD. Little Snitch's messaging is a bit cryptic, but it suggests the application isn't signed on the Mac partition I can't log in from. I opened the application package and did some snooping around, and I discovered this in the plist XML:

It kind of looks like there might be something missing, don't you think? Of course, I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I've given you a whole bunch of information to investigate and resolve this issue.

Let's review. I eliminated all of these possible variables:

• Not a firewall issue: No firewall in operation; no ports are blocked.
  • Not an account issue: I can log in to my account from service.ringcentral.com. I can log in from my Mac laptop. I can log in on the Mac I'm experiencing the problem on when booting from an external SSD with an alternative version of the OS.
  • Not a router or ISP issue: All testing has been accomplished using the same router and ISP.
  • Not a computer hardware issue: I can connect from the same Mac that can't connect when booting a slightly earlier OS version from an external drive.

Jessica - If you are reading this I would argue you haven't been doing your job (or a very good job) by directing folks experiencing this issue to submit tickets to tech support. I have a free account, and I haven't found a way to submit a ticket or interact the support team on chat. I wanted to expedite resolution of this issue so I tried to buy a paid subscription two nights ago. I tried two different credit cards, but RC's payment gateway reported it couldn't process my cards. It wasn't telling me it could authorize charges to my card (which my bank would have notified me about) so it sounds like Ring Central' payment processing might be offline. No help there.

As a community evangelist, it's your role, Jessica, to act as a facilitator who elevates customer concerns so they get the visibility within your support organization necessary for quick resolution. I am very glad to see that you created a ticket for Edoardo Tuo, who IMHO was treated in a condescending, unhelpful manner by J.B. Ferguson, who, again in IMHO, is not the kind of person you want representing RingCentral and its brand.

Right now, I have a very lukewarm opinion of RingCentral's customer service and support organization, which is a great opportunity for you to convert me from a skeptic to a fan. I'd start by forwarding my email to your executive response team so they can connect with your developers in hopes of getting this issue resolved quickly and easily for everyone experiencing it.

Please send me the ticket number if you create a ticket for me. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you or someone else at RingCentral.

Len F.

meetings
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

cody-mckinney avatar image
cody-mckinney answered jessica-reed14184 commented
Okay guys, here is the only solution that actually worked for me after trying everything.

1.) go to /Applications/Utilities and open the Terminal
2.) type  "cd /Applications/RingCentral\ Meetings.app/Contents/MacOS/"  WITHOUT PARENTHESIS
This will put the working directory in the RingCentral Meetings app itself
3.) you need to run the app with admin rights (not sure why but its the only think that fixed it)
so type "sudo ./RingCentral\ Meetings"  WITHOUT PARENTHESIS
4.)Login like you would normally login.
hope it helps
10 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jessica-reed14184 avatar image jessica-reed14184 commented ·
Thanks, Cody.  That worked great for me. 
1 Like 1 ·
cody-mckinney avatar image cody-mckinney commented ·
When the terminal asks for the password its asking for the password you use to login to your mac, keep in mind that my terminal will look slightly different than yours might look, but the screenshots were done after each step
1 Like 1 ·
rs15304 avatar image rs15304 commented ·
I just tried and it worked for me. Thank you 
1 Like 1 ·
taryn-holz16393 avatar image taryn-holz16393 commented ·
Worked like a charm. Thank you!

1 Like 1 ·
cody-mckinney avatar image cody-mckinney commented ·
Glad I could help
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
trevor-parks avatar image
trevor-parks Suspended answered trevor-parks Suspended commented
Just noticed and received a pop-up before it crashed again- Ring Central has not moved to 64 bit yet.  Only one of my other apps is 32 bit and constantly crashes.  This combined with RC's need to connect to the internet browser for sign in while the handler is 64bit might be causing issue.  When is RC releasing a 64bit app?
5 comments
1 |3000

trevor avatar image trevor commented ·
I heard this same promise at the end of February. This has gone on for months. Im astounded that something like this can drag out so long. Id be embarrassed if I put a product out for business use and asked businesses to bend over backwards for months because I messed up and put forth no serious attempts that they could see to address it. Ive now had to create over 15 user accounts. Every time I take my laptop home and change networks. What worse, it isnt even RCs technology! Zoom isnt facing the issue. Why is it taking this long to fix something crippling a major component of your product. Even if this ever does actually get resolved, what does this experience lend towards confidence in RCs ability to minimize impact of outages or technical issues? What happens when RC forgets to make updates when flash deprecates in 2020? 7 months of no functionality (Im aware flash isnt likely used, its a comparison considering Apple warned developers 2-3 Years ago about the 64 bit requirement)? Number and severity of issues is not my concern when looking for vendors, how they respond is most important. I think we can all agree that in this particular issues case, RC has missed the mark by miles. Ill be waiting for the app update in 3 more weeks, again. Cant say Ill be holding my breath.
1 Like 1 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hi Trevor, as long as nothing crazy happens, the 64 bit is scheduled for release at the end of this month
0 Likes 0 ·
kris8599 avatar image kris8599 commented ·
Hello, 

Any update on release of new version - I had a few meetings get cancelled as I couldn't log in.

Thank you,
Kris
0 Likes 0 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Kris, 

The 64 bit app should be out by the end of April now :) 
0 Likes 0 ·
trevor-parks avatar image trevor-parks commented ·
so, as i said, i shouldnt have held my breath. not only did the update not work, NOW I CANT EVEN USE THE WORKAROUND!  Did RC even TEST the solution?!!!! NOW i sill cant connect and just keep getting the forced update prompt in any profile i attempt o log in with. It almost comical, but it isn't.  This is the worst handling of an issue I've EVER seen in my years in IT.  Im exhausted from waiting for RC to learn how to do the job they decided to do.  No one MADE you all go into this business, why on earth does it seem like amateur-hour?  The "you only had one job" joke applies here.  I have no confidence in your product, support, or ability to set this straight

Done.  Waste of time.
0 Likes 0 ·
charles-ingalz14744 avatar image
charles-ingalz14744 answered
Looks like I'm in the same boat.  I can only use this in my phone now, all our Macs are now down after what appears to be a recent RM update.  This is on both OSX 10.13.6 and 10.14.  I am updating one machine to 10.14.2, but from what I see here, it probably wont work. Will need to buy another meeting account to get by for now as getting right apps/sharing to appear on new user will be too cumbersome.
1 |3000

nic-nc avatar image
nic-nc answered
 [I am on a Mac (OS X 14.3) and RC Meetings ver. 6.315305.1213]

This is a poor workaround, but for me has been effective. Hopefully the issue can be resolved, but I have found that when I log in on my standard computer user account, I could not log in. I created a second user account and found I could log in. But, soon after, had the issue reappear on the new user account. So, then I tried using the guest account, and since documents and settings are not saved, I am able to log in to my account via the desktop application (for now, that is). 
1 |3000

craig14953 avatar image
craig14953 answered
I only just started experiencing this issue today on a meeting I ended up rescheduling. I'm able to log in as host on my iOS devices and also on a Mac that I rarely use for meetings which has an older version of the RC Meetings app on it.

The other weird thing is that I can log in using my Zoom.us account as a host (this is the company RingCentral licenses their Meetings technology through), so clearly this is an issue with the latest version of the RC Meetings app.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be creating a separate user account on my Mac just for this. It's less of a pain for my phone to act as host and then my Macbook to log on as a user.

Hopefully, we'll see a fix soon.
1 |3000

john-sutcliffe7794 avatar image
john-sutcliffe7794 answered richard-fortin3030 commented
Is there any update on this? This just started to happen for me last last week (March 26 or so). Starting the app via the command line using SUDO works, but is not a great solution for my users. 

How close is the fix for this? It looks like a new release was expected at the end of March. 

5 comments
1 |3000

Sorry, John. There is no update on a fix yet
1 Like 1 ·
richard-fortin3030 avatar image richard-fortin3030 commented ·
Hello ! This is going in for a while now and is not good for the business at all, when do you plan to fix this ? Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry, Richard. There are no updates at this time :(
0 Likes 0 ·
andrew-stansbury15522 avatar image andrew-stansbury15522 commented ·
Hopefully, you guys fix it soon. I can connect from the mobile app but not my Mac it just says  " Please check your network connection and try again" 
Even though I can  connect to other websites

0 Likes 0 ·
richard-fortin3030 avatar image richard-fortin3030 commented ·
So we should request for a credit on our account because of the service that we pay for and it is not working.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt-decker14394 avatar image
matt-decker14394 answered
LOL.. this company is a joke .... I said 2 months ago RingCentral had no interest in fixing their problem or supporting Mac and people jumped on my case telling me I was wrong  ... and gee guess what I was right ...  these guys have done nothing but dick everyone along  for months feeding lip service and lies ... you people at RingCentral should be embarrassed and ashamed ... the only up side to this whole fiasco is that the market place will correct the problem in time when Ring Central goes belly up.... I am guessing this big operation with its tier 3 tech support is nothing more than 2 uneducated hicks in some single wide trailer in Wewoka Oklahoma ... no offense to anyone who may live there .. i am sure it has its good points too  even tho  it is #1 for the worst cities  in Oklahoma 2019..... whats that sucking sound I hear ... its RingCentral going down the toilet ...you may be growing now but with such a flawed business model and blatant disregard and distain for Mac users and piss poor customer support it won't sustain its self for very long ... Doubt my posting will stay up long before its pulled down because I am not conforming to company policy about pumping sunshine  but hopefully it stays long enough to help some other poor folks who may buy into this colossal waste of valuable time and energy ... best of luck Ring Central ....  I dare you ... prove me wrong with a viable update that rectifies your planned and premeditated problem 
1 |3000

richard-fortin3030 avatar image
richard-fortin3030 answered
Im a customer for more than 8 years in Canada. I was always happy with the service and I sent several customers to RingCentral. Now for 2 months, we are not able to use Ring Central for Meeting on our Mac. We need this tool everyday and we are loosing deals because of this.

Ive been told that end of march that would le be fixed, we are now almost end of April and its not fixed yet. I consider cancel my service in a couple of days if there is not fix.

Good luck everyone.
1 |3000

aaron-mccloy15819 avatar image
aaron-mccloy15819 answered
I've already told the start up I work with not to use Zoom or Ring Central. It's not possible because it doesn't work. The support has been embarrassingly bad. I've gotten the run around for 90 minutes only to find that this thread has been around for months with no updates. They need to tell their customers and users that there is no solution. I'll never use Zoom/Ring Central again. 
1 |3000

back-email avatar image
back-email answered
Time to delete the app and move on. RingCentral are clearly not going to fix this.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app