question

jeremy-reyes14377 avatar image
jeremy-reyes14377 asked jeremy-reyes14377 answered

Transferring active calls to an extension

Hello, I am a admin on the portal and we are having issues transferring calls to an extension using the desktop soft phone, is there a way to make extensions enabled for transfers?

For example, we have vendors that keep calling our lines directly but we wish to forward the calls to our queue using the assigned extension, without having to answer the call itself.

Are there steps in the portal, that I can take that will grant access to forward calls to extensions.

1. Account type: US Enterprise
  2. Related case number (if applicable) n/a
  3. Detailed description of problem
  4. Previous troubleshooting steps taken
  5. Software version: 10.3.5.34099
  6. Number of Users affected: 50+
admin portal
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Jeremy, could you provide more details? What's the call flow look like now and what do you wish it to look like?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jeremy-reyes14377 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Hello Saadet, 

We would wish to be able forward calls to a specific extension, without having to answer the call then transfer. 

We currently have our Help Desk on say extension 1234 , however some vendors would rather bypass the prompts and call agents directly. 

We would like to be able to forward a call just like transferring a call directly to extension 1234 if needed without having to answer it. 

Currently when trying to forward a call using an extension, it does not recognize the extension and routes the caller to the recipients voicemail box.

3 comments
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Jeremy, I'm still not following :/ Have you contacted Support about the setup you're looking for? Sometimes things are easier to communicate over the phone versus online
0 Likes 0 ·
jeremy-reyes14377 avatar image jeremy-reyes14377 commented ·
I havent reached out to support yet, I thought this would be a good platform for others to see, since I am sure this would be a common issue most companies will face or have maybe faced in the past. 

To sum it all up:
I would just like to know if it is possible to forward (not transfer) a call to an extension, without having to answer the call. 
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hi Jeremy, have you looked into using a Custom Answering Rule?
0 Likes 0 ·
Mizashlee Pond avatar image
Mizashlee Pond answered
Hi, I understand exactly what you are asking about, and I thought you did a good job of explaining it.

Although not an ideal solution for you, you might be able to set up one or more calling rules so that when your system gets incoming calls from one or more telephone numbers (like your vendors' telephone numbers), they are automatically sent to the desired extension.

Another approach might be to simply tell your vendors that they do not have to wait for the prompts before entering an extension number. They can enter an extension number immediately upon your system picking up on their call.

The only way I can think of for your vendors to be able to call an extension directly is for the extension to have its own digital line with its own number.
1 |3000

jeremy-reyes14377 answered
Thanks for your response, yeah I wasnt sure how to explain it simpler haha

I tried a few things and I was able to find somewhat of work around. 

Unfortunately, when assigning the forwarding rules per user, you arent allowed to assign a number already associated with your users group. So I as well as others on the Helpdesk team are unable to "forward" calls to the direct number associated with HD extension, unless it is manually entered. 

Our vendors are relentless, they already know that they need to call the Queue but like any customer they want to be in front of the line. We give them the specific extension, but there is a 30 second prompt so they try to avoid that calling our direct numbers found on the email signatures.

As a way to penalize this behavior we have decided to forward them directly to the very beginning of the queue, definitely not the solution we were looking for, but it appears to be a User error as opposed to a software error, so this should groom them to make the correct choice and just wait in the queue 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app