question

jonathan-wornell1 avatar image
jonathan-wornell1 asked jonathan-wornell1 commented

Phantom Calls - Odd number in Call Display

Since we moved offices (same building - next door), my RingCentral phone has been getting constant and repeated phantom calls from the same number that shows "3=3..." in the Call Display. My assistant has also had weird calls like this in the past, so just wondering what these are and why do we get them if they don't have meaningful caller ID's? And how do we stop them!? We are in Canada.

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
This is a worldwide scourge and there is nothing in particular RingCentral or you can do about it, unfortunately.  You can read about US legislation around the STIR/SHAKEN protocols that are being touted as a possible solution.  Another possible solution is that "normal" phone calling will just die away to be replaced with things like What'sApp etc because people will get so annoyed they will stop using regular phone numbers.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

andrew2014 avatar image
andrew2014 answered jonathan-wornell1 commented
Sounds like a SipVicious attack (Port scanning on SIP ports).  Have your IT consultant tighten up your firewall and to only open the RingCentral ports for their IP address ranges.  You can confirm this by checking the Call logs....if these calls aren't there than most likely SipVicious attack. 
2 comments
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
That is certainly a possibly.  I see many folks open up inbound ports for voip because they don't understand.  You should *never* need to open unsolicited, inbound ports on your firewall for hosted voip.  That said, you may solve this particular issue by configuring your firewall correctly, but can still be left at the mercy of rob callers who may call you and may even use your caller ID to call other people..

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathan-wornell1 avatar image jonathan-wornell1 commented ·
Thanks for this! Will see if I can check this. We don't have IT for our systems as we are small office...so IT is me! :)
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app