question

larry-davis2788 avatar image
larry-davis2788 asked saadetswift16514 commented

Glip App not Ready to Replace RC Phone App

I have had three customers using the Flip App instead of the phone app and missed calls.

Once i switched them to the Phone Mobile App, calls were not missed.

Now I read that the phone app is going away at the first of the month.

This is not good. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

chris-duquette4018 avatar image
chris-duquette4018 answered
I mentioned a couple hiccups with the call handling on apps last week and was informed " it's part of the transition" and that "they've made it known during the process as to when it'll be complete." Soooo be prepared for the keyboard warriors to set you straight. (eye roll)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

andrew2014 avatar image
andrew2014 answered
I'm in agreement.  Not just from functionality and stability but from UI it just isn't ready or efficient.  Especially for our clients that don't use Glip at all.  Many use different tools like Teams/Slack, etc and I find it difficult to explain to them why the are being made to use their phone amidst all of the other noise in this app.  

RingCentral, please hear us.  We are in favor of the unification process and the direction of it all, but don't take tools away from clients unless the replacements are fully ready and vetted by your core community members.  
1 |3000

chris-criner12739 avatar image
chris-criner12739 answered
Wait...what? The Phone App is going away???
1 |3000

chris-duquette4018 avatar image
chris-duquette4018 answered J.B. Ferguson commented
I just remember getting an email like 6 months ago that the apps were swapping and there was a date and I recall it being rather close so I had to have my account manager call my customer to make sure they were as informed as possible on the switch. I don't remember anything being said about these apps taking time into 2020 to be done. It's become too hard to try and keep up with these timelines and what feel like moving goal posts. I can't keep reading every single newsletter I get from ringcentral about updates and whats new, when more often than not it's telling me how much more money I can make if I sell contact center. It's become too frustrating and tiresome at this point to try and keep up.
1 comment
1 |3000

J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
I agree that a lot is going on regarding the updates to the apps but I respectfully disagree with the latter portion of your message.

To give the best service to any client its a RingCentral resellers responsibility (actually ANY provider resellers responsibility) to keep current on any and all product updates, new product offerings, service info, etc.. Thats why any provider, RingCentral included, have Channel Managers for partners in order to keep them up to date. These changes about the desktop app being incorporated in 2020 has been common knowledge for many months.

Doctors, attorneys, accountants, and other professionals need to keep up with massive continuing changes in their individual professions. A VoIP/UCaaS partner should, in my humble opinion, be no less professional in keeping up to date with any and all changes involved with the providers they represent.

Just my opinion...Your mileage may vary.
0 Likes 0 ·
larry-davis2788 avatar image
larry-davis2788 answered chris-duquette4018 commented
The last email i received said it is Nov 1. 1919 !!!!!
1 comment
1 |3000

chris-duquette4018 avatar image chris-duquette4018 commented ·
I can't remember it exactly and I dont feel like sifting through my emails but I want to say it originally told me September/October was supposed to be the move. Now I bring it up again since I thought this was supposed to have happened already and the staunch defenders of ringcentral cape up for them without fail.
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Chris, I know it can be frustrating to keep tabs on these new changes, but we're here to help! :)

Our customers received emails about the migration to the new mobile app at different times throughout the year - to give people ample time to prepare. So the date you received for one client may have been different for another client. Just like our releases, we communicated the change in sections.

I think some people did get confused about this affecting the desktop app, too. But, again, that's not the case. We're going to finish retiring the RC Phone Mobile app by the end of this year. Next step is to for the Product Team to work on the desktop app next year. 
1 |3000

chris-criner12739 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Sorry for the confusion, so once the RC Phone App is gone, will the Ring Central app still support the mobile phone function the Phone App provided? We use the phone app for service support of our clients, and it allows me to use it on my personal phone for work, to separate my business side from my real world side, instead of having to carry two phones around.
3 comments
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Chris! The Product Team is working on getting the features that are on the RingCentral Phone app added to the RingCentral app :) 
0 Likes 0 ·
chris-criner12739 avatar image chris-criner12739 commented ·
Hopefully before the Phone app is retired??
0 Likes 0 ·
Yeah, that's the plan ;) 
0 Likes 0 ·
andrew2014 avatar image
andrew2014 answered
RingCental.  Please hear your users and don't retire the RC Phone App tomorrow!  The Glip/RingCentral app isn't ready. I don't want to sound negative as I'm all for unification but it simply isn't ready and we are going to have some very frustrated end users/clients tomorrow if you go throw with this as I imagine will be the case with many others.  
1 |3000

chris-criner12739 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Agree with Andrew, please do NOT phase out the phone app until you have integrated it into RC app.I'm stunned that this should even need to be mentioned here. You will virtually shut down our service business if you pull the plug.
17 comments
1 |3000

ah, it finally seems to have synched my mobile app login to the RC login, so I am signed in to both now.
1 Like 1 ·
Never hurts, but shouldn't be necessary :)
1 Like 1 ·
Hi Chris, 

Right now we are only retiring the mobile app, which the Product Team has made ready and fully integrated with all phone capabilities. 

Regarding the desktop, we know the RC Phone desktop still has many advance features you need that aren't in the unified app. So until that is ready, we won't take away your desktop app. You will be able to continue to use it for the foreseeable future. 

0 Likes 0 ·
Hello Saadet, I'm a bit confused by your wording. Currently I have the RC Phone App, which is what we are using for our service client contact. So RC is going to retire the Mobile App, but all functions of said stand alone Mobile App  are now residing in the Ring Central app? Is that correct?
0 Likes 0 ·
Correct. In this thread we announced more details about the plan for the RC Phone mobile app. Essentially, we are combining all of the apps (RC Phone, Glip, and RC Meetings) into a unified app. 

The Product Team is tackling the Mobile App first. With plans to tackle unifying the desktop apps next year. Until the Product Team has fully integrated the features within the RC Phone desktop app into the RingCentral app - everyone will still be able to use the RC Phone Desktop app.

Again, only the RC Phone mobile app will be retired this year.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey all, you can read more about this transition here. We're working on the Mobile apps right now and will tackle the desktop apps next year.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app