question

alex-shah avatar image
alex-shah asked it-helpdesk1 commented

how to change to ringcentral video from the zoom powered meeting

Given the security concerns around zoom and the fact that the zoom exploits carry in to Ring Central, how do we switch over to the new Ring Central video?

meetingsvideo
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

rob-larose9408 avatar image
rob-larose9408 answered it-helpdesk1 commented
What makes you think that RC Video (completely untested) is any better?
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

it-helpdesk1 avatar image it-helpdesk1 commented ·
uh... RingCentral is  essentially a child policy of the Zoom software.. our Non-profit has used it for awhile now...We have very minimal issues with 60+ users on the account. The only issue that really seems to make our users unhappy, is that they cannot join Zoom meeting IDs. But Zoom can join RC meeting IDs.
0 Likes 0 ·
david-parent3461 avatar image
david-parent3461 answered alex-shah commented
What "new Ring Central video"... RingCentral has its own platform now? They are still reliant on Zoom 's core infrastructure as far as I know.
1 comment
1 |3000

alex-shah avatar image
alex-shah answered
LOL. great question. Just trying to see if there is any good answer (short of ditching) which might be needed, if there isn't a good answer.
1 |3000

Gloria Burt avatar image
Gloria Burt answered
That would be my question. The only advantage is that Ring Central isn't as well know so hackers will be less likely to hack it.

1 |3000

rob-larose9408 avatar image
rob-larose9408 answered
What hack(s) are you concerned about?  I've seen a legit concern about the way the installer elevates privileges on Mac, but other than that I don't believe there have been any serious security problems.  A little bit of privacy concern, but not security / hackability.  Do you know something I don't?
1 |3000

brian-engert4691 avatar image
brian-engert4691 answered
The documentation seems to work for me outside of changing the default in gip.

https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/RingCentral-Video-Get-Started?language=en_US

The main features that I see that are missing so far vs zoom
  • control the screen
  • only cloud recordings
  • I don't see a way to set the password for your personal meeting id (it's there for scheduled meetings)
  • I don't see a way to lock the meeting
Improvements over zoom
  • browser client is very full featured computer audio, video, screen share (like teams)
edit:
I did a little poking and while by default you will likely connect with a very strong encryption (ECDH RSA AES256) for the WebRTC connection it does look like the server supports some weak cipher suites that would not pass HIPPA compliance that they talk about in the whitepaper (TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5, TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA).  I would feel a lot better if all the cipher suites had pfs.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app