question

bill-shannon avatar image
bill-shannon asked mary-community-moderator edited

What outgoing caller id shows while porting numbers?

We are using the RingCentral Standard Canadian.
I'm about to start the porting process for our direct dial numbers and our main company numbers. I've already setup our current system to handle the forwarding, but once I've started porting them I want the RingCentral system to be able to show our current DDI's and company number as the outgoing caller ID instead of using the temporary numbers in RC.

Will I get this as an option once I start porting?
caller idporting and number transfer
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

tom-franciosi3602 avatar image
tom-franciosi3602 answered
If you are only using the top level Company IVR menu (not using call queues) it doesn't matter.  

If you're using call queues, what I've done is add a new number to the call queue, made that the outgoing caller ID number, and kept it on for a time period of however long it takes to train persons from calling it.  In our case these numbers were exposed to customers and field staff for for over a month and we've kept them permanently.  I've not seen any other options.

TIP:  When setting up the porting process make sure you use the feature to assign temp phone numbers to the ported numbers.  This will automagically swap out the numbers and whatever device/queue that temp number is assigned to; ported number takes the place of the temp number and the temp number is surrendered back to RingCentral.  This work really well and requires no manual intervention to assign the ported number.  If you don't do this, then the ported-in number will be assigned to the top level IVR menu and assigning it to a queue requires a manual step.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

danno147 avatar image
danno147 answered
Can't show a number that RC doesn't own [yet] - against the law down here in the 48.  So temporary numbers are your only choice.
1 |3000

bill-shannon avatar image
bill-shannon answered tom-franciosi3602 commented
Tom - when you say "automagically", I'm assuming you mean when the porting process is completed? 

Danno - pretty sure it's the same here "north of the 49th parallel".

If so, then it would make more sense to start the porting process and then only setup our current system to forward the calls when it gets closer to the date assigned in the porting process. Correct?
3 comments
1 |3000

tom-franciosi3602 avatar image tom-franciosi3602 commented ·
Correct, once the port completes it auto swaps the numbers.  I point this out because, once upon a time, I didn't realize it was an option and the port happened to complete while I was driving through a sizable cellular dead spot.  Phones were "broke" for a little over an hour in an office that takes 2,500+ calls daily.

Regarding timing the orders, it depends on the carrier how smoothly the port process goes.  I think the RingCentral team does a great job getting it completed, but the losing carrier can make it take more time.  I've done a couple dozen carrier ports (113 phone numbers) with RC and most are done in 6-13 days (Verizon, Comcast, RCN, Frontier, Century Link).  I've had some take 27 days (Windstream).  Make sure you have the correct names of authorized person on the LoA and what pin to use as both of these will almost guarantee a rejection from the incumbent carrier (6 to 8 days lost there, start over).  The correct person is: whomever the losing carrier has on file as the authorize person.  Note that correcting the name ahead of time can trigger some carriers can put a port lock on the account for 30-90 days.  

One last word of advice to avoid causing overly stressful problems and risk losing a number:  Make sure you port out toll free numbers first.  These require slightly different paperwork with RingCentral so they have to process as a separate order from the other toll numbers.  A toll free number is an alias number attached to a toll number.  If the toll numbers port before the toll free number does, it becomes an orphaned number that most carriers will reclaim.  In US these numbers are frozen for 7 days to allow for mistake corrections.  Check with the losing carrier on the proper process; if the relationship does not allow for such openness then port the toll free and don't start the port of the toll numbers until the toll free order completes.

The toll free SNAFU happened to me with a Comcast port.  The dedicated Port team at RingCentral saved my non-Canadian bacon that afternoon. 
1 Like 1 ·
bill-shannon avatar image bill-shannon commented ·
Fortunately our Toll Free numbers are through a separate vendor and are aliased to our main number, so I didn't have to deal with that. My biggest concern is going to be how Bell Canada works up here with DID's that are assigned to a PRI. They don't treat them as a normal phone line and are actually lumped in with their data services. Bell is notorious for being a bloated maze of customer service, so I'm looking forward to the battle to get the porting completed properly.

Thank you very much for your insight. I am now playing the 10 business day waiting game to see if I forgot to dot an I or cross a T.
0 Likes 0 ·
tom-franciosi3602 avatar image tom-franciosi3602 commented ·
Good luck, sir!  :o)
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app