question

kelsey-ryvkin avatar image
kelsey-ryvkin asked john-oliphant commented

Mute Ringer while on Another Call

How do you mute your ringer while you are on another call? This is particularly a problem for users with headsets. If they are on a call and another call rings in, the ringer blasts right through their headset and they cannot hear their current conversation.

The majority of our users are taking calls through the softphone on their computers.

This is a major issue for customer service agents and sales representatives who typically have multiple incoming calls at once.

phone
9 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Shawndella Davis avatar image Shawndella Davis commented ·

This is CRAZY! It is 10/2023, and this is STILL an issue. I am a recruiter, and I am on the phone all day interviewing people. It is so irritating to have people repeat themselves after every long pause. It's not a good look either when talking to high-level candidates.

Three years and still not solution, or is anybody even trying to fix this issue?!?!

1 Like 1 ·
Welcome avatar image Welcome Shawndella Davis commented ·

@Shawndella Davis
you need to disable call waiting. See this article. At the top of the article you can toggle between Desktop & web and Admin Portal.
https://support.ringcentral.com/article-v2/Managing-call-waiting.html?brand=RingCentral&product=MVP&language=en_US

Call waiting - enabled:
If you are on a call, and a 2nd person calls you, you will hear the ringing.

Call waiting - disabled:
If you are on a call, and a 2nd person calls you, they will get sent to voicemail (or whatever behavior you have set for your missed calls)

0 Likes 0 ·
john-oliphant avatar image john-oliphant Shawndella Davis commented ·

The RC Phone app has one option: call waiting or not.
The Ring Central app has options: the blasts where you cannot hear the first caller, beep once, or silent.
The Teams module is the same as the RC Phone app: all or nothing.

Just worked through all this with one of our staffers. Ugh.

0 Likes 0 ·
danno147 avatar image danno147 commented ·
RingCentral does not support the "call forward busy feature" with their platform.
0 Likes 0 ·
CET Office avatar image CET Office commented ·

We have the same issue. It is really quite disappointing. What is the solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Lipman avatar image Paul Lipman commented ·

I have the same issue.

My guess is that if you have the multiple versions of RC (Application/API and the main softphone) running, you get into this issue. I could be wrong, but I've only been using RC for a few days and it happens A LOT!

If it weren't tied to my CRM, I'd drop this product in a heartbeat.

0 Likes 0 ·
jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·
Hello Kelsey,

You might want to check if the call queues are in all rotating calls, so it will not ring their phone in the middle of their phone calls with the client. 

If the issue persist, please create a case and we'll investigate it further. 

Thank you! 
-1 Like -1 ·
kelsey-ryvkin avatar image kelsey-ryvkin jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·

These are not exclusively call queue calls -- it is the same problem with direct calls and queue calls.  If you are on a call and another call comes in (directly or through a queue), the ringer blasts through your existing call and disrupts your ability to hear. 

Our business structure requires simultaneous ring for queue calls. 

This is major functionality gap.   I am receiving complaints from dozens upon dozens of users regarding this.
4 Likes 4 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

JoeVer avatar image
JoeVer answered

callwaitingjpg.jpgSuggestion - You could try disabling call waiting within your incoming call settings. Disabling call waiting should only allow one call to be place to your phone at a time. (settings, phone, incoming calls, call waiting <ON/OFF>)

callwaitingjpg.jpg (55.8 KiB)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app