question

janielle2936 avatar image
janielle2936 asked benjamin-dean answered

REST API Ringout results - is it possible to tell if the recipient never answered or if the call went to voicemail?

Hi

I've implemented RingOut using the REST API and it's working as expected. I have also set up a webhook notification, which is also working.

I'd like to know if it's possible to tell if the recipient (the to number) never answered or the call went to voice mail?

I don't see anything that indicates this in the call log or in the notification payload

Thanks

rest apiringout
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
You'll need to query the call log data from the other side of the call (the recipient side, which would be one of your RingCentral users).

You can do this in one of two ways:

1. Call Logs by Extension (as Recipient)
-or-
2. Call Logs as Admin User (and filter by Extension.id + session.id)

The reason for this is because every call has at least two parties: caller (person placing the call) and callee (recipient of the call being placed).

If you are fetching the call logs from the callers side (as your initial data indicated with the 'direction' property set to "Outbound"), then yes, you will only ever see "CallConnected" if the call was actually connected.

You'll need to GET the call-log data for the "callee". Then you should see the different statuses which will indicate either 'Missed' or 'VoiceMail'.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

janielle2936 avatar image
janielle2936 answered
ok, I understand, but that would only work if the callee is a ring central user. In our case we are using the Ringout feature and the callee could be anyone. 
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
To try and determine this for outbound calls, you'll have to mix and match your programming logic between call log and message store data.

You might ask how to do this in Stackoverflow (use the 'ringcentral' tag), since there are a lot more developers there who love to answer questions (and we're moving towards that system for technical questions anyway). You should reference this conversation in the question on SO.
1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys