question

matt-spinks2179 avatar image
matt-spinks2179 asked benjamin-dean commented

Call log api request for ALL associated extensions

Is it possible to query the api for the call log and retrieve the logs for ALL associated extensions? As it stands now, I have to make a separate call for each extension to get all the logs. I see the option to filter by a single extension, but I don't believe I saw the option for all extensions in the parameters for the call log api. But perhaps I am missing something? Is there maybe a certain keyword I can use for the extension parameter that will give me all extensions?

rest apicall logs
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered supervisor-23287 commented
Do you need /restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/call-log ?  Account level call logs should include all extensions' call logs
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

supervisor-23287 avatar image supervisor-23287 commented ·
We are using are Account Level Id but this returns just the supervisor extn in the API results (which never answers a call). What we need is the hunt group stats which is available via  https://service.ringcentral.co.uk/settings/calls.html#detailed and chossing the Hunt Group ext. If we try to use the hunt group extn "1" in the API we get  a Page 400
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
I don't quite understand the issue. Could you please create a new thread and describe it in detail? In particular, are you trying to get call logs for all the extensions or just for hunt group extension?
0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks it is now under 
Hunt Group Results
0 Likes 0 ·
matt-spinks2179 answered
I'll give that a shot. I don't see that endpoint in the docs. All I see is /restapi/v1.0/account/{accountId}/extension/{extensionId}/call-log . But I'll give this a shot and see how it goes...
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered
How is it working Matt? Should be operating like a gem (but remember, you do need to have a user with Account-level viewing permission, typically an administrative account is what I have used successfully in the past.
1 |3000

matt-spinks2179 answered benjamin-dean commented
Awesome! That did it. Thanks. One more question (and maybe I need to start a new thread for this) - will this same principle work for the message store? For instance, can I hit /restapi/v1.0/account/~/message-store to get the list of messages for ALL extensions?
5 comments
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image benjamin-dean commented ·
That route should be available if you have authenticated using an Admin-level user account.

I would recommend using a Subscription or  Webhooks + JIT API requests to fetch Message-Store and Call-Log resources (due to the rate limits associated with each of these API resources). You do not 'have' to use this approach, but it is recommended.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks for your quick answer we are definitely using an admin level account. Perhaps the problem is just syntax we are substituting
username=44139279****&extension=301  which is our admin phone number and extn with
username=44139279****&extension=1 which is the hunt group extn
0 Likes 0 ·
An alternative would be to use the 'phoneNumber' property (of either Call-Log or Message-Store) to filter the results (in addition to the other query paramters) for a specific phoneNumber (which could be a Group number IIRC).
0 Likes 0 ·
I am already sending a phone number as part of the query (the account number) see above. Apart from that I just send the date parameters further filtering will jsut reduce that ?
0 Likes 0 ·
You're using the phone number and extension (but that doesn't necessarily mean you are authenticated as that particular user's extension/phoneNumber).

That is why I suggested this might be an approach.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered
You don't need to ask questions about endpoints here, please help yourself to read the doc:  https://developer.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html  If you can find that endpoint, then it is supported by the API server.  

Please note that, you need to login in order to read all the endpoints. Otherwise you will only see basic ones.
1 |3000

robert-jerina115 avatar image
robert-jerina115 answered benjamin-dean commented
Why is using an admin account just to read the log files for calls incoming/outgoing an acceptable solution? That means I am giving my devs administrative access to my RingCentral which is definitely not a good idea.
5 comments
1 |3000

You are not required to use an administrative account, but if you want your development team to be able to build a solution which has administrative capabilities such as requesting all call logs for all extensions, then this is what must be done. It is entirely dependent upon your use case(s).
0 Likes 0 ·
robert-jerina115 avatar image robert-jerina115 commented ·
You're required to have an admin account to view all logs across all extensions, which means if you want to do any sort of custom reporting on calls across the entire organization that you have to give a developer an API key with administrative access. More secure providers provide you with roles for accounts to limit them to at least be complete read-only accounts that can access all of that stuff. Having to give your developers an API key with full administrative access is nuts.
0 Likes 0 ·
What you have described appears to be an internal business issue between you and your development team and doesn't have any relevance upon RingCentral's decision on how we provide our business services via the API.

There are ways to work around this situation if it is a requirement for how you operate with your developers:

1. Build a micro-service which can only be accessed from within your firewall which allows you to store your user credentials, and your developers to make an authenticated GET request to fetch an access_token on your behalf (this would allow you to keep control of your RingCentral account, while also giving your developers the tools they need to achieve your goals without sharing your actual credentials).

2. If you're an administrator, you could create the application and API Keys, and use the API Explorer to fetch a valid access_token, then give that token to your development team. Then just have them use refreshFlow to update the token.

While I understand that different businesses have different needs and requirements. Modifying our Platform's business logic to suit this use case is not pragmatic and will not be prioritized. A change of that size could potentially impact the thousands of other companies whom have already successfully developed solutions using our existing API and Platform.
0 Likes 0 ·
robert-jerina115 avatar image robert-jerina115 commented ·
How is it an "internal business issue" between me and my development team? Do you typically give internal development teams, which do not normally have administrative access to RingCentral, access to API keys with administrative access? We're a network security company, this is how things get compromised. You're not offering this service in a secure way, which is, well, bad.
0 Likes 0 ·
I've made this conversation private.

I understand your security concerns. The reason I said it was an internal business issue is because our API doesn't stop you from achieving your goal of retrieving account-level call log data (which means this is your decision, not ours to make). If your organization chooses to have an increased-level of security that is perfectly acceptable, but saying our API is "bad" or "nuts" because we do not meet your particular requirements is counter-productive. You are the first to have something negative to say about this, and we have over 3000 companies and developers who have registered and developed with our Platform.

Does that mean our Platform and API are perfect...absolutely not. Which is why the "BETA" flag for our platform is still conspicuously placed. Things may change (or need to change).

CallLog API resouces in RingCentral are ReadOnly:  https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#RefCallLogInfo.html. There are no PUT, POST, DELETE routes exposed in basic API plans.

I provided a couple of alternatives in my earlier post which might help address your security concern. Other solutions exist as well, depending upon your development approach and use case requirements.

Your team could build strictly off of our API documentation and using their own accounts.
Your team could implement 3-Legged OAuth and you could authenticate without ever sharing your account.
You could extract an example of what a complete, account-level call log response would look like, and let them develop from that data.

There are dozens of ways to solve your requirements. We may release an updated or refactored Roles & Permissions system in the future, or if there is enough demand from other customers to deliver the requirements you have detailed...we might roll this very feature out to our developers.

At this time we do not have any immediate plans for shipping a feature for this use case.
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys