question

ak avatar image
ak asked Adam S commented

SMS FAQ

The Send SMS API allows you to send SMS from the RC number that you have logged in as. Here are the typical scenarios for from and to numbers.

"From Numbers

Case 1: Main Extension number

When you are logged in as the Main Extension Number ( Ext 101 ) the message would be sent from Ext 101 to the to number

Case 2: Other Extensions

When you have an extension with both a Digital Line and a Direct number and you are logged in using either of them. A message would be sent from the number that you use as the From number ( digital / direct )

To Numbers

The To numbers could be either:

• PSTN
  • RC Number ( Main Number / Extension / )

Text Message size restrictions:

We support up to 1000 characters for the text message.

Short Codes:

Currently we do not support Short Codes for the extension numbers.

rest apisms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered
We will support up to 1000 characters in both inbound and outbound SMS by the end of Aug.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

chris-patterson48 avatar image
chris-patterson48 answered ak commented
Great, thank you for all of the answers!

Can we receive messages and, if so, how can we receive messages via the API? For example, we would like to receive texts in and have our software pick those up. Maybe via a web hook or something similar? Any information is appreciated.
3 comments
1 |3000

ak avatar image ak commented ·
Thanks Antonio. We have fixed the links.
1 Like 1 ·
tt2 avatar image tt2 commented ·
You can indeed receive messages and retrieve them through the RingCentral API.

Please see for more detailed information the Sending SMS Dev Guide.

Messaging between RingCentral extensions is referred to as paging in our API Reference 
0 Likes 0 ·
antonio-olander6895 avatar image antonio-olander6895 commented ·
These links are dead, can these be updated?
0 Likes 0 ·
dheighton29 avatar image
dheighton29 answered Adam S commented
Is there a way for an extension to be given permission to text from another extension's number? For instance we would like to send text's out to clients as if from an individual sales person, but without the sales people having to go through any sort of flow. (This would be automated, like emails).

Not seeing a clear cut way to do that without having all of my sales people having to go through an oauth workflow to give permission?
1 comment
1 |3000

Adam S avatar image Adam S commented ·

We are looking to do the same thing

0 Likes 0 ·
vyshakhbabji avatar image
vyshakhbabji Deactivated answered John Wang Deactivated commented
No. There is no way that you would be able to send a text from another extension without authorizing as that extension(privacy issue)
4 comments
1 |3000

John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
You can send text out from the main company number when authorized as the Operator Extension.

By default the Operator Extension is extension 101, however, this can be configured to point to other extensions in the Online Account Portal Admin's Auto-Attendant's Operator Extension configuration panel.

You can see more information on assigning the Operator Extension in our Knowledgebase here:

http://help.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/Assigning-the-Operator-Extension-on-an-Onl...
1 Like 1 ·
John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
As a follow-up, it is also possible to both send SMS from the main company number and have multiple users respond to the main company number. To do this, configure your users using a Call Queue and then have the Operator Extension configured point to the Call Queue. To send SMS as the main company number, set the password for the Call Queue extension and use that extension to authorize the SMS app.
1 Like 1 ·
dheighton29 avatar image dheighton29 commented ·
As a follow up to that, how can I send a text out from the main company number on the account? I am authorizing and logging in from the primary admin account, but I can't send from our main company number.
0 Likes 0 ·
99999-operator768 avatar image 99999-operator768 commented ·
You cannot send SMS from the main company number instead you could send from any of the numbers which is attached to an extension.

Lets say the authorized extension  has multiple digital lines associated. You could use any of the digital lines to send SMS
0 Likes 0 ·
derm-derm1514 avatar image
derm-derm1514 answered
I have created a number under the extension I connect to with the API for sending SMS messages. The messages seem to be sent (I get response 200) but in testing sending to my cellphone I never get the messages. This worked in the sandbox but it isn't working in production.
1 |3000

ak avatar image
ak answered
Could you open a case with our Developer Support team addressing the issue:
https://developer.ringcentral.com/support.html

1 |3000

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

Based on Chris's question "Can we receive messages and, if so, how can we receive messages via the API? "

Yes, the sms content can be captured with the API /restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/message-store/<message id>/content/<attachment id>

All you need to do is to provide the exact message id and the attachment id related to the message

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys