question

Nick R avatar image
Nick R asked Nick R edited

Lookup a specific fax in the call log to get its status

Hi,

What identifier do I use toy check the status of a fax I sent in the call log using the API?

I thought I could use one of the id in FaxResponse and later query the call log using it but they don't seem to match.

It is very important for my employer to be able to match a specific fax to a specific call log entry so I can't try to approximate things using phone numbers and things like that.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nick

rest api
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Nick R avatar image Nick R commented ·

I guess this should have been posted in a different forum... Sorry, I clicked post a little too fast...

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

Hi Nick,

Somehow your question got lost from my daily attention in this forum. Sorry for that.

After you sent a fax, grab the message id from the response, then check the fax status of that fax using the message-store endpoint (not the call log) using that message id.

Make a GET request to this endpoint: https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/message-store/[messageId]

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Nick R avatar image
Nick R answered Nick R edited

Hi!

Thank you for your answer!

I initially tried it and I thought I needed to replace the "account" and "extension" with the actual values and got a 404 but it looks like I must actually put those where you put the "~".

When I retried with my credentials in there I got a 401 so I realized I had to authenticate myself.

So what I did was to borrow the authentication code from the Java snippets provided to send faxes and the like and used but called the get() method of RestClient instead of what the samples I had found normally do.

This seems to have done the trick as I got a ResponseBody on which I called string() and parsed using jackson (I will have to see if I can do what I did with fastjson which you already use to avoid adding one more dependency...).

By the way, the URL you provided me with looks a lot like the one in uri in the response when I send the fax except for the credentials there seemingly not having anything to do with the credentials the telephony guy provided me with.

Talking about credentials I will have a question about it tomorrow but for now it is time for me to go to sleep... It will soon be followed by one about cover pages, I am not sure what the telephony guy wanted to do is actually necessary...

Thank you and have a nice day,

Nick

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys