question

Kevin Morris avatar image
Kevin Morris asked Kevin Morris commented

What am I calling when I send a POST?

My impression of a REST server is that I can send a GET or POST to a REST server, and the REST server sends back a response. There is nothing in between. However, am I understanding the RingCentral situation to be different? Do I have to 1) create an "app" 2) find out the Client ID and Secret of that app 3) then send a POST or a GET to the app, and the app talks to the REST server?

I'm trying to understand why, every "app" I create has a different client ID and secret, and yet my developer account has it's own username and password, which is different again. I can't figure out what values to put where in my URL, or in a Postman POST command. I always get an "Invalid creds" error.

Can someone make a working Postman session, save it, then send it to me, so I know what I'm supposed to put where? I don't use any of the languages of the programming examples. Postman is a great generic tool, that does everything needed, and it's settings can be translated to any programming language.

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered Kevin Morris commented

I am not sure if any issues you are facing. RingCentral allows to create their application and when an application is created, we can consume various RingCentral APIs as per our need and as per the application is configured.

There is a flexibility that you can create a single app and load it with different features like SMS, Calls, Fax etc or create separate apps to separate these feature via separate API calls distinguished by different Client Id.

The main purpose of creating different apps is to separate these features and call it separately as I mentioned and also other reason is, an organisation can have different clients with different requirements. So based on that we can create different apps and provide it to different clients based on their need. So, each application given to each client will have different Client Id which mark the identity of the app.

RingCentral API already have API references describing each API in the API reference page where you will get all details and input parameters for each APIs.

There was a postman collection as well here in the reference forum answers but not sure if it is still there and still valid.

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Kevin Morris avatar image Kevin Morris commented ·

Hi Anirban, I'm just trying to get OAUTH to work via Password Flow. I can't. The example app source code doesn't help bc I don't use any of those languages, so I'm using Postman as an intermediary. I'm unable to determine where to put all the values: Client ID, Username, Password, Client Secret, Client Key, etc. I have built apps to talk to other REST servers, (CDYNE, Data 24/7) and they are very simple to use. Ring Central is a beast. Very difficult to use.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys