question

matt1234567891011121314 avatar image
matt1234567891011121314 asked Jonathan Hazzard answered

Virus detected in RingCentral App?

We got RingCentral a few months back and twice now have had our antivirus detect a threat in RingCentral apps. First time it was Avast, which tagged Update.exe (in the Glip folder), this time it was Windows Defender on multiple computers that tagged UninstallRingCentral.exe as a threat.

Has this been happening to anyone else; is this a mistake with virus definitions or is it more likely an actual virus?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

It maybe false alarm done by antivirus. False Positives are harmless and legitimate programs that are incorrectly identified as malicious by an antivirus program.

Check this:

https://success.ringcentral.co.uk/articles/en_US/RC_Knowledge_Article/9402

"Antivirus systems sometimes identify applications as 'infected' when they are not (which is known as a "false-positive"). This could happen to RingCentral Contact Center desktop applications, as with any desktop application. If this happens, work with your antivirus vendors to resolve such issues. " as per the reference given

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Mitchell Craver avatar image
Mitchell Craver answered

Three users reported this to me today and I just set another user up on a brand new computer an I was presented with the same alert. Here's to hoping it's just a false-positive.

The file Windows Defender is reporting a Trojan for is: Uninstall RingCentral.exe

1 |3000

matt1234567891011121314 avatar image
matt1234567891011121314 answered

RingCentral had an update to their app yesterday, the same time we got this alert...

1 |3000

Jonathan Hazzard avatar image
Jonathan Hazzard answered

This happened to me on Tuesday (9/8/2020) when I closed and reopened RingCentral. The file location was C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Programs\RingCentral\UninstallRingCentral.exe.

I assumed it was a false positive, too. Some of my team's own beta apps have triggered false positives when unsigned.

Note that on 4/30/2020 I installed a beta of the new consolidated RC app (v20.2.11.1262) and then upgraded a few weeks later when it was officially released as v20.2.20.1473. There were some issues with uninstalling the three apps (Glip, Meetings, softphone) and installing the beta, and again when moving to the official release, so that may have left some remnants of the beta.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app