question

Brian Fraley avatar image
Brian Fraley asked ·

Why can't I use duplicate email addresses

Recently in the last 3 or 4 months RingCentral decided that we couldn't use a duplicate email when setting up an account. I already have 3 conference rooms that we use the same email for. Now that I am setting up a 4th conference room I am prevented from using the same email address. Why? I wasn't asked to create new email accounts when the change happened so I don't see that duplicate emails are a problem since I have them. I can use the same email for notifications and the system doesn't have a problem. I see a check box to not look for duplicate addresses when setting up an account but it is greyed out. If I can't do it don't put a box on the screen. So what would be the problem with a duplicate address?

admin portal
1 |1500 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jenn-community-moderator avatar image
jenn-community-moderator answered ·

Hello @Brian Fraley! I would suggest to put a dummy email first and change the email on the notification field after you create the conference extension. Thank you!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brian Fraley avatar image
Brian Fraley answered ·

Thank you for your reply but that is the wrong email address field, the one I am referring to is User Details, General Settings. The one blocked in red below. I have been told the problem has something to do with RingCentral's single sign on product. I do get why they might care if we used single sign on, but the failure in their logic is that every email address attached to a phone number will be logging in. We reuse an email for all of the conference rooms so that the emails go to one mailbox. I don't know what emails go to the main email address that I am concerned about. I'm guessing voice mails, missed calls, password changes. But those can all go into a dump mailbox because who cares that a missed call to an empty conference room was missed. The Notifications that you mentioned can be anything, no problem with duplicates there.

@jenn-community-moderator

1603976568681.png

1603975924679.png (24.1 KiB)
1603976568681.png (22.4 KiB)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app