question

Brian Fraley avatar image
Brian Fraley asked Brian Fraley answered

Why can't I use duplicate email addresses

Recently in the last 3 or 4 months RingCentral decided that we couldn't use a duplicate email when setting up an account. I already have 3 conference rooms that we use the same email for. Now that I am setting up a 4th conference room I am prevented from using the same email address. Why? I wasn't asked to create new email accounts when the change happened so I don't see that duplicate emails are a problem since I have them. I can use the same email for notifications and the system doesn't have a problem. I see a check box to not look for duplicate addresses when setting up an account but it is greyed out. If I can't do it don't put a box on the screen. So what would be the problem with a duplicate address?

admin portal
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jenn-community-moderator avatar image
jenn-community-moderator answered

Hello @Brian Fraley! I would suggest to put a dummy email first and change the email on the notification field after you create the conference extension. Thank you!

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brian Fraley avatar image
Brian Fraley answered

Thank you for your reply but that is the wrong email address field, the one I am referring to is User Details, General Settings. The one blocked in red below. I have been told the problem has something to do with RingCentral's single sign on product. I do get why they might care if we used single sign on, but the failure in their logic is that every email address attached to a phone number will be logging in. We reuse an email for all of the conference rooms so that the emails go to one mailbox. I don't know what emails go to the main email address that I am concerned about. I'm guessing voice mails, missed calls, password changes. But those can all go into a dump mailbox because who cares that a missed call to an empty conference room was missed. The Notifications that you mentioned can be anything, no problem with duplicates there.

@jenn-community-moderator

1603976568681.png

1603975924679.png (24.1 KiB)
1603976568681.png (22.4 KiB)
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app