question

julian-smith avatar image
julian-smith asked ·

Update Knowledge Base with Current RC Suite Silent Install/Uninstall/Update Commands

My request is for RingCentral to post this updated information to their Knowledge Base, some of the old details here that were posted to the Knowledge Base previously are out of date and this is the most current information I have. It is extremely important to update information for the new RC app and for RC phone especially.

This will greatly help the community manage your products, so please pass this along to the Knowledge Base team if you work for RingCentral and are reading this.

P.S. Thanks for listening to my request earlier and posting this info in the Knowledge Base at all, I am happy to have helped out!

All of the information here has been tested and proven to work as of 12/9/2020.

Covered in this documentation:

- RingCentral Meetings

- RingCentral Glip/Classic

- RingCentral Glip/Classic Machine-Wide

- New RingCentral App

- RingCentral Phone

- RingCentral Meetings for Outlook

- RingCentral for Outlook

----------------------------------------------------------------

RingCentral Meetings Deployments

RingCentral Meetings silent install command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\%MSIfilename%" /qn

RingCentral Meetings silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Meetings for all user profiles.

RingCentral Meetings silent uninstall command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\%MSIfilename%" /qn

RingCentral Meetings silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Uninstalls RC Meetings for all user profiles. Terminates running program at the time of removal.

RingCentral Meetings silent update command:

RingCentral Meetings silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as the SYSTEM user. Uses the same command as the initial install does. Silently performs the update but does not trigger the full version upgrade until the next time the software is closed and relaunched—can be run live while users are in meetings and will not terminate user sessions (very good design IMO).

RingCentral Glip/Classic Deployments

THIS FIRST SECTION IS FOR THE EXECUTABLE. THE SECTION BELOW THIS WILL BE DEDICATED TO THE MSI “MACHINE-WIDE” INSTALLER.

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent install command:

"%dir%\%EXEfilename%" /silent

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. This must be run as the current logged on user. This executable only installs for the current user profile, and the user must be logged in at the time of installation. Admin rights are not needed to install this package. Attempting to install this as admin or SYSTEM will cause issues because the software will install to %USER%\appdata\local in the profile of whatever account you use to authenticate the install and not the current user.

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent uninstall command:

"%LocalAppData%\Glip\Update.exe" --uninstall -s

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent uninstall notes: Leave this command exactly how it is. This must be run as the current logged on user and targets a folder specific to that user. The user must be logged in for the uninstall to work. This uninstall hinges on a sub-application called “Update.exe” that was placed in %USER%\appdata\local when the software was initially installed.

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent update command:
"%dir%\%EXEfilename%" /silent

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. This must be run as the current logged on user. This executable only installs for the current user profile, and the user must be logged in at the time of installation. This software updates itself automatically when new versions are released, but I figured I’d provide the info for manual updates/reinstalls if anyone needs it. When this is run, the software will terminate and reinstall itself. It remembers previous login information, so despite the closing of the software being a minor inconvenience, this is relatively safe to run while in use as long as users don’t mind it closing for 30 seconds. I believe you can also just run the update executable above, but I have had mixed results with that—when it has worked, it exhibits the same behavior as this.

THIS SECOND SECTION IS FOR THE MSI “MACHINE-WIDE” INSTALLER

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent install command:

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent install notes:

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS, IF POSSIBLE, STAY AWAY. RINGCENTRAL, PLEASE RETIRE THIS PRODUCT

Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This program attempts to install the %USER%\appdata\local version of the app every time a user logs in to the machine. This will throw an error or drop a broken shortcut every other time a user logs in. Once the software has been deployed and the user is signed into the app, this behavior goes away—it only does this when no one on that Windows user account has signed into the app. This also will not show up in the installed software list or be able to be uninstalled if run as SYSTEM—you’ll only be able to see it’s GUID info if you are using CMD as the user that installed it for some reason. Very broken.

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent uninstall command:

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This only uninstalls the component that attempts to install the %USER%\appdata\local EXE every time a user logs in. It does not remove the usable desktop shortcut or the software from the individual user profiles it was already deployed to. The executable uninstall command above will need to be used for each profile it was deployed to individually on top of removing this.

This may also not work at all if it was installed as SYSTEM or admin through an RMM, which means you’ll have to open a SYSTEM or admin level command prompt (whichever was used to install) and use “wmic product get name,version,identifyingnumber” then use the GUID from “RingCentral Classic Machine-Wide Installer” to uninstall the software as that same user (in this case either SYSTEM or admin) with:

MSIEXEC.EXE /x {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} /qn

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent update command:

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This basically just reinstalls whatever version you have chosen over the old one. This component does not update itself, so this will be needed if you are using the Machine-Wide installer in your environment.

New RingCentral App Deployments

New RingCentral App silent install command:

New RingCentral App silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC App for all user profiles.

New RingCentral App silent uninstall command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\%MSIfilename%" /qn /norestart

New RingCentral App silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Updates RC App for all user profiles. If you do not add the /norestart flag to the uninstall command, THE COMPUTER COULD REBOOT WITHOUT ASKING, OLDER VERSIONS USED TO DO THIS. Be cautious with this one.

New RingCentral App silent update command:

New RingCentral App silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Updates RC App for all user profiles. This will temporarily close the software for users, so be cautious with your timing when using this.

I WILL NOT BE COVERING THE EXECUTABLE (NON-IT) VERSION OF THE RC APP, THE CURRENT EXECUTABLE IS NOT BUILT FOR THIS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR DEPLOYMENTS. INSTALLS TO %USER%\APPDATA\LOCAL, NOT IDEAL FOR ANY SCENARIO.

RingCentral Phone Deployments

RingCentral Phone silent install command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\%MSIfilename%" ALLUSERS=1 /qn

RingCentral Phone silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Phone for all user profiles.

Remove the ALLUSERS=1 from the command above and it will automatically install to %USER%\appdata\local and exist only for the user that ran the command—this type of install does not require admin rights.

RingCentral Phone silent uninstall command:

Phone silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Uninstalls RC Phone for all user profiles. Terminates running program at the time of removal.

If run as user against a %USER%\apppata\local based install, will uninstall from user profile only—no admin needed.

RingCentral Phone silent update command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\%MSIfilename%" ALLUSERS=1 /qn

RingCentral Phone silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as the SYSTEM user. Uses the same command as the initial install does. Terminates software as soon as the command is run, so be cautious with the timing on this one.

If ALLUSERS=1 is removed from the command and it is already installed in %USERS%\appdata\local this will silently update only the executing user’s version of the software—no admin needed. This will not affect any files installed to %systemroot%\Program Files, so if you are somehow doubled up on installs (profile vs. all users), you’ll need to read between the lines here and remove one of those to prevent confusion and version disparity.

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook Deployments:

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent install command:

MSIEXEC.exe /i "%dir%\%MSIfilename%" /qn

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Meetings Outlook add-in for all user profiles. Installation does not interfere with Outlook when it is running. The next time Outlook is launched, the buttons for the add-in are added to the ribbon. Outlook may try to disable this add-in for performance, but you can deploy a simple regedit or two to fix this. See Microsoft’s documentation on how to do that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vsto/registry-entries-for-vsto-add-ins?view=vs-2019

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent uninstall command:

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This will hard terminate Outlook when uninstalling, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this.

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent update command: The only way I have found to do this is to uninstall the software and reinstall it immediately afterwards, basically using the commands above consecutively. Running the MSI again to “reinstall” appears to have no effect.

RingCentral for Outlook Deployments

RingCentral for Outlook silent install command:

RingCentral for Outlook silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Outlook add-in for all user profiles. This will hard terminate Outlook when installing, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this. Other buggy/erratic behaviors have been noted, such as closing Outlook twice. Outlook may try to disable this add-in for performance, but you can deploy a simple regedit or two to fix this. See Microsoft’s documentation on how to do that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vsto/registry-entries-for-vsto-add-ins?view=vs-2019

RingCentral for Outlook silent uninstall command:

RingCentral for Outlook silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This will hard terminate Outlook when uninstalling, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this.

RingCentral for Outlook silent update command:

RingCentral for Outlook silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This will hard terminate Outlook when installing, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this.

I hope this information helps.

installationcommandlinedeploymententerprisesilent
1 |1500 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
dante-ezar12697 avatar image
dante-ezar12697 answered ·

Hello Julian Smith,

Thank you fr helping us. we will be forwarding this article to our Knowledge article team and will be updated as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Dante E.

1 comment
1 |1500 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks Dante! Always happy to help out.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Customer Spaces

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app