question

Wendy Busse-Coleman avatar image
Wendy Busse-Coleman asked Anirban answered

Virtual Extension - How to Set Up // Seeing the words "Virtual Extension" but not how to actually Create

Good Morning,

As my subject states, I am seeing the words "virtual extension" but I can't locate how to actually set-up a Virtual Extension. This is my scenario:

We have a Billing Dept. with 5 Team Members and these 5 Team Members take turns answering the transferred calls. Currently, I have it set-up with PRESENCE and RING / ANSWER the Extensions each is monitoring. But, we transfer to a User's Extension: Example: 108. Extension 108 is displayed on the other 4 Team Members desk phone // desktop App. However, the problem lies when you actually need to speak to the person assigned to Ext. 108 one of the other 4 may answer.

If there is such an extension as "virtual" to me that means it is not assigned to a specific User and that Extension Number can be placed on each Team Member's desk phone // desktop App.

Is this truly available? If so, can it be used in my scenario explained above, and how would I configure it within RingCentral? This WOULD NOT BE a Message Only or Announcement Only extension, it has to be answered by a Team Member within our Billing Dept.

Thank you, everyone and I look forward to clarification/response.

Wendy

extension
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered

Hello Wendy,

Virtual extension is an extension without an assigned phone. This can be assigned to call queue groups as a member.

Please check this KB article for the process: https://support.ringcentral.com/article/Add-User-Extensions-without-Phones-RingCentral.html

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

You can configure Unassigned Extensions from your online service portal.

Whenever you select Ext. with no device assigned. option there you will get the option to configure a user and device with that extension.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app