question

todd75 avatar image
todd75 asked lee commented

Caller Id parameter ignored when using the RingOut API - am I utilizing the parameter properly?

We are trying to set the outbound callerid number using the RingOut API. If I view my user record directly in RingCentral I can change the caller id number under RingOut from Web and that works fine.

The issue I'm having is that I'd really love to be able to set it dynamically, and I was excited to see that the RingOut API documentation clearly states that there is a Clid parameter for setting it. Unfortunately, that parameter seems to get ignored. Am I missing something?

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

vyshakhbabji avatar image
vyshakhbabji Deactivated answered

Can you raise a ticket by emailing the developer support team or open a support ticket at Support and FAQs on developer portal?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brian-keaney975 avatar image
brian-keaney975 answered
Todd, did you solve this? I'm looking to set something like this up.
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered

The Caller Id that is used by the RingOut API is the same as the Service Web extension Caller ID setting for "RingOut from Web" so the API Caller ID is set by Servie Web. The API will validate the Caller ID (to ensure it's a number that's authorized to be used), but won't actually set it as the Caller ID in the RingOut.

We have identified this as a potential issue and have a ticket to rectify this functionality to actually allow the API to set the caller ID when the provided value passes validation.

1 |3000

Julio Toledo avatar image
Julio Toledo answered
Hi Benjamin, being able to set RingOut Caller Id programmatically is also important to our application. 
Any updates on status of ticket to rectify Caller Id functionality in the API?
1 |3000

benjamin-dean avatar image
benjamin-dean answered Julio Toledo commented
You can achieve this using our WebRTC implementation (requires creating a developer support case to have WebRTC provisioned) currently.

The ticket for this is still open at this time and is being kicked around for prioritization in a future release, but no official timeline currently available.
8 comments
1 |3000

Julio Toledo avatar image Julio Toledo commented ·
Thanks, we applied for WebRTC provisioning a couple of days ago. I'm guessing with approval will come access to different RingOut API documentation specific to the WebRTC protocol?
1 Like 1 ·
jeremy-heymann2079 avatar image jeremy-heymann2079 commented ·
I'm in the same boat. Please let us know if the WebRTC option works for you.
1 Like 1 ·
John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
We are still working on adding Caller ID to the RingOut endpoint directly, however, we do have a beta API to programmatically set the RingOut Caller ID now. To use this, when you make a RingOut API call with a Caller ID value, you would first call the Caller ID endpoint to update the extension setting and then make the RingOut API call.

If you would like to use the update Caller ID endpoint, please contact our devsupport team to get access to this beta API. If you'd like to wait till we support this directly in the RingOut endpoint, I'll post an update when it's ready.
1 Like 1 ·
John Wang avatar image John Wang ♦♦ commented ·
Regarding documentation, our WebRTC SDK is available on GitHub with documentation and a sample app to help you get started:

https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone
0 Likes 0 ·
jeremy-heymann2079 avatar image jeremy-heymann2079 commented ·
John, does this work for the web soft phone only, at this time, or is it possible to get the webRTC to initiate a call from an IP phone to an outside party, with a specified caller ID?
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
vadim-soluyanov6963 avatar image
vadim-soluyanov6963 answered
Hi,
are there any changes with callerId in API?
1 |3000

ak avatar image
ak answered
Hi Vadim,

The caller-ID parameter, when used in the RingOut API, would validate the setting on the service web at the moment.

Meanwhile, as a workaround could you try using the Extension Update Caller ID API and try this scenario ?

Please refer to the below link from our API explorer to know more about the :
Update Extension Caller ID

Once the caller-ID is updated you could initiate a RingOut.
1 |3000

lee avatar image
lee answered
Is there a way to set a blocked caller id using RingOut?

The situation I have is our system has two options next to phone numbers in our custom built CRM. "Call Number" and "Call Number (No Caller ID)". I'd like to just pass either a Boolean or something to indicate the call requires using a blocked caller id outgoing.

AK is your solution to basically update the extension caller id just before you call RingOut and then revert it back to what it should be after the RingOut?

1 |3000

ak avatar image
ak answered
Interesting. Could you please throw some light on what do you mean by blocked callerId?

If you do not pass the callerId parameter for the RingOut  API, then the default callerId that is set in the service web would be the one that would be reflected in the call:

Also, the above solution that is provided is to update the callerId dynamically just before the RingOut API call and it will not be reverted to what it was before. For that, you would have to change it again using the  Update Extension Caller ID

1 |3000

lee avatar image
lee answered
What do I mean by blocked call id? I want the caller id that shows the recipient of the call to not see our caller id in some cases (not all the time). In my account I can set the caller id to be blocked as follows:

but by default I want it to be their direct number unless they are coming from our system via the RingOut API and only if they have clicked the "Call Number (No Caller ID)" button in our system.

So when you say: 

If you do not pass the callerId parameter for the RingOut  API, then the default callerId that is set in the service web would be the one that would be reflected in the call:

Does that mean I can pass a caller id and can it be the "Blocked" one? If so how?

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys