question

Kim Reist avatar image
Kim Reist asked mary-community-moderator commented

Desktop & Mobile Apps vs Softphone

I am brand new user and have tried to google up this answer, to no avail. We just started using RC at my company and I do not understand the difference between "Desktop & Mobile Apps" and "XYZ's Softphone" (see pic below).

These are the defaults that got created with our accounts, but to me they both refer to the same thing? Or does Desktop in this case refer to a physical handset sitting on top of desk and if that is the case, what is meant by "mobile apps"? I thought Softphone referred to the software applications that run RC on my laptop/PC and/or my mobile devices.

Please help clarify. Thanks in advance--

1617202796405.png

call handling
1617202796405.png (20.4 KiB)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered mary-community-moderator commented

Hi Kim!

The second call forwarding number is for your DeskPhone. Possible that you named it as Kim Reist Softphone that’s why it shows there. To edit the Deskphone name, go to Phones & Numbers > Phones > Click Edit under Actions column > Then you will see the box field for Name. Don’t forget to click Save button on the very bottom after changing the name.

6 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Kim Reist avatar image Kim Reist commented ·

Ok that helps! So it looks like it was misnamed as "softphone" when the accounts were set up?

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Kim Reist commented ·

Good to hear that it worked. It happens when a line is added first before the deskphone.

1 Like 1 ·
Kim Reist avatar image Kim Reist mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

One more question : do you know if there is a way to bulk re-name the devices? It would be good to avoid this question from others going forward. If not, no worries, but have to ask!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered Kim Reist commented

That is correct. "Desktop & Mobile Apps " are the software application installed on these device.

Not sure about the xyz softphone though.. Maybe someone else here can specify

1 comment
1 |3000

Kim Reist avatar image Kim Reist commented ·

Thank you! It looks like the hardware was misnamed as "soft".

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app