question

Harry Spillett avatar image
Harry Spillett asked Joe Cache answered

Add an extension without a "human" user

Is it possible to add a new user without needing to enter all of the details that would be required for a "human" user i.e. I would like to add some extensions that will only be used within the building and do not need an external line such as "kitchen" "store room". They will not be assigned to any one individual and therefore no associated email address.

admin portalextension
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

To make an automated process of creating user without human interaction, you need a custom application which will call RingCentral API CreateUser and fill the value automatically and randomly from a predefined value.

But the problem I see here is the CreateUser API has emails parameter as mandatory field.

If you just want to create an extension, as you said and will not assigned to user, you can define your custom application to use CreateExtension API and here I don't see email as a mandatory field.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Joe Cache avatar image
Joe Cache answered

We have that same issue - not a human specific phones in area. (reception, break room, etc.)

We just manually added the user extension - giving it a password/pin - so to not have to send the activation email - and used a 'general bucket' non-email email address. (gets sent to a catch-all email address - but not monitored)

Only trouble with RC is that any phone that rings, has to have a digital account (meaning a DID license assigned)

Hope that helps.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app