Integration: 200 message limit exceeded using API and deleting 5 day old messages

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

We use the API to get our inbound faxes which allows us to automatically delete messages older than 5 days. This does not keep our Ring Central inbox below the 200 message limit and we continue to get partial faxes from multiple senders. There is no one to manage this any other way. We have significant business interruptions and loss due to this issue. One suggestion would be to have an option to auto-delete messages older than a user specified count that is less than the error causing limit.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,038 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Matt, 

Can you please elaborate a little bit so we know who to direct this too?  Are you integrated with some 3rd party software?  

Mike 
Photo of Benjamin Dean

Benjamin Dean, Alum

• 792 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello Matt,

Please do send us your RingCentral integration information per Mike's request ^^^^ so we can drill down further with you.

In the meantime, is your integration using the Delete Message (with the purge query parameter set to true) per the documentation: https://developer.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#RefDeleteMessage

Thanks,
Benjamin
Photo of Matt

Matt

Hi,

The company I am with would be the 3rd party software and we are integrating directly with your api.

We are setting :availability => 'Deleted'

Thanks,
Matt 
Photo of Benjamin Dean

Benjamin Dean, Alum

Thanks for developing on the RingCentral Connect Platform Matt, and I'm happy to help.

Have you tried using the Delete Message API resource I provided earlier?

If you have:

• What were the results please?
  • Did you use the "purge" query parameter set to "true"?
I'm asking because I setting the availability of a message may not be decrementing the total count until it has purged. I will ask our engineering team if this is the case and respond shortly. If you haven't tried using the Delete Message API resource...would you mind testing it on a fax you KNOW you want to delete please? You can use our API Explorer to accomplish this: 

http://ringcentral.github.io/api-explorer/#!/Messaging/v1_0_account__accountId__extension__extension...

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Thanks,
Benjamin
Photo of Matt

Matt

Thanks for the feedback.

We do not use the purge.  We need to keep, however many messages we are allowed, in the inbox in order to support our clients when they have issues. This is why we use the several day delay before they are completely deleted.
Photo of Benjamin Dean

Benjamin Dean, Alum

So I had a chat with our engineering team, and they've told me this is two distinct issues, both of which are unrelated to the API usage as he "thinks" it might be related to telephony or account configurations.

The instructions were to create a standard support case and our Support team will escalate this properly. 
Photo of Matt

Matt

All of the support reps and a supervisor I've talked to mentioned coming here to make a feature request.  

Since we use the API to get our messages, we don't have anyone to manage how many messages accumulate in the ring central inbox. We do not see purge as an option because we want to keep a short history in the ring central inbox for support (for example, to see error messages on failed faxes). We just need a way to automatically keep the count under 200 per the ring central limit. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.