#1 Priority Should be Redesigning User Interface

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

First of all a question. As usual I've just spent 15 minutes searching for something that should take one or two clicks to find. Yet I can't find it anywhere in the user interface, and endless knowledge base articles refer to it, without giving useful information on how to find it. So - where the heck would I find the list of blocked numbers?

And on to the thread title. Everything in RC is laid out so unintuitively. I am sure it made sense to whoever created it, but from a user perspective you always have to dig and dig and dig to find what should be exposed and easy to find. We probably use 10% of the functionality just because it's always so hard to find what you want. It's a more basic system, but using Google Voice as an example I can go in and in 60 seconds figure out and find just about everything I could want. Same thing for a much more advanced Avaya VOIP system.
Photo of David

David

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of David

David

OK, so I just found it under:
My Settings>Screening Greeting & Hold Music>Blocked Numbers

Sheesh, perfect example of what I was talking about above, what an utterly unintuitive and hidden place to put that!

And while I'm at it, every time I find a knowledge base article, it always seems to refer to some older version of RC, and if you follow it, the current feature isn't even in the same place.
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi David, I marked your post as "Doesn't need answer" - but you do raise a valid concern about our UI. I'm going to pass your comments on to our product managers. One of them may reach out to you for additional feedback. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Photo of David

David

Here's another example. I just needed to change my greeting for the first time in a while. So I start by going to the Overview page and selecting User Shortcuts. OK, "My Greetings & Call Screening" sounds like what a user would want, right? So I click there which takes me to "Screening, Greeting & Hold Music". Except...I can't change my greeting from here at all!

So now I keep looking all over. Where do I find it? In the "Messages & Notifications" area! But most users are going to assume, just as i did, that "Messages & Notifications" is about messages being left for me. Why in the world would a user look under "messages" to record their *greeting*.

Granted I found it, but as a user I shouldn't have to navigate this non-nonsensical maze, and a lot of users are just going to give up or not even record a greeting because you make it so difficult to find where to do it. And since it's so counter to where I'd expect to find it, the next time I need to do it in a year, I'll probably have to search all over again to remember where I found it.

Thanks for listening.
Photo of David

David

Oh, and because of the user interface, I just discovered that the message I did not want playing was still playing. Look at this screenshot. See the save button, confirming that i want the default message to play? Except that doesn't actually save! It jumps you back to the previous page, where evidently the user is supposed to know that they are supposed to hit save again!

I'll bet you that 90% of your users think they've saved after pressing save the first time, and don't realize their old selection is still playing.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.