Why am I unable to send faxes using the softphone on my Mac?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate.  If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

When trying to send a fax from the RingCentral SoftPhone app (on MacOS), I click on "Send" (from the "New Fax" dialog) and, after a few seconds of displaying "connecting to server", I get a pop-up saying "The Fax could not be sent. No fax data specified."
Photo of jhfrontz

jhfrontz

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

• 7,270 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

Sorry you're running into problems.

Does this happens on all faxes to several numbers?

Please take a peek at this list to make sure we're covering all bases, too:

http://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/Fax-Troubleshooting-Checklist?priority=...

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of jhfrontz

jhfrontz

Just to re-iterate, this is via the MacOS softphone app (most of the things on the suggested troubleshooting page seemed to be related to using fax-via-email or to failure during the actual transmission after having successfully sent) -- in this case, there is a specific message coming back from the softphone app (indicating that nothing was ever sent from the local app to your server).

More details: the fax was a combination of a coversheet (i.e., cover form field was non-blank) and a PDF. PDF file is 150K and is viewable in Adobe Reader (i.e., file is not corrupt). Attempt was to multiple destinations on the same "send".

Attempts to reproduce now (by sending to a single number -- mine) result in "The fax could not be sent. Generic error" pop-up but the fax was successfully sent (as evidenced by the subsequent receipt in my inbox). However, only the cover page arrives (no PDF content). Removal of the cover page content (and unchecking "Use Cover Page") results in originally reported pop-up error message ( "The Fax could not be sent. No fax data specified.") and NO fax received.

Attempts to send a trivial PDF (single line of text) seem to work fine.

Is there some restriction on the content of the PDF?
Photo of RingCentral Social Team

RingCentral Social Team, Alum

• 2,224 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

I'm sorry for the late reply.

What was the size of the PDF file?

Desiree
Photo of jhfrontz

jhfrontz

From previous post:

More details: the fax was a combination of a coversheet (i.e., cover form field was non-blank) and a PDF. PDF file is 150K and is viewable in Adobe Reader (i.e., file is not corrupt). Attempt was to multiple destinations on the same "send".

Sorry for missing that. What version of the softphone are you using? Can you make sure you have the most recent version.

Also, can you try sending from the softphone on another computer outside of your current network? There may be something blocking it from sending.

Desiree
Photo of jhfrontz

jhfrontz

Just downloaded the version that came out this week and the problem appears to be resolved.

Great - sorry you had to go through this. Thanks for being patient.

Desiree

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.