Ability to Respond to Group Messages from Outside Numbers

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
It appears that there is a known bug in group texting now that the MMS feature has been deployed.  I opened a support ticket - I think ticket 50034? and was told this is a known issue.

Here is the scenario:
  1. Customer (not RC) sends a 'group' message to multiple people at our company (all RC).
  2. All employees/users receive the message.
  3. One or more employees attempt to reply and receives the error below:
"Message is not sent.  Recipient extension is not found."

I am assuming this is due to the fact that the system doesn't realize the other user is an "internal" user and thus does not translate the external number to an internal extension.

Please help as this is VERY FRUSTRATING since we have customers text more than they email.
Photo of Scott McClannahan

Scott McClannahan, Champion

• 460 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Rob Schaerer

Rob Schaerer

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Have there been any updates on this?  
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 66,076 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Rob, there's no ETA on this yet. But I will let you know that I've been personally working with the PM who recently was assigned SMS requests. We're going through many of these and this particular request is high on my list for discussions! So, fingers crossed, we hear something about this in the next few months.
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Saadet, I am curious. Do RC employees not use the RC app for texting people outside of RC? I have  mentioned this issue to people I talk to at RC and they are all unaware of this bug. If they do use it, I can't imagine why this is not a major problem for all RC employees. How do they tell people what a great app it is but it can't reply to group text.
Photo of Kevin Whiteside

Kevin Whiteside

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I'm going to "pile on" every time I can on this.  I think RingCentral doesn't realize how big of a deal this is.  I personally use RingCentral for my business txt'ing and, as a partner, when I can't group txt the exact same clients that I'm trying to convince to use RingCentral for UCAAS these clients literally laugh.  I can't blame them...it is just funny that this "feature" is something that is being "looked into".

• 66,076 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Alan, I can't speak on behalf of all the different departments in RC but from the Support side, we do not text outside numbers. 

I completely agree and understand the need/ask because I think it's very important! Which is why this is on the top of my list for discussions with the PM team :) 
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

Just like Kevin pointed out. I just got a group text from a company that I have been trying to get to switch to RC. I had to email them and explain that my RC app can't reply to group text

Scott McClannahan

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am also piling on - maybe RC will eventually figure out that this is an issue.  I was at a recent event and I was surprised that NONE of the RC account managers, support agents, and even executive management was aware of this bug!

Ring Central - this is important - having this feature not working is like asking us to sell cars without wheels!  It's just expected that it would be there.

Incidentally, if you download the new "RingCentral does everything app" (not the exact name) - it no longer gives you an error if you reply to a group text.  Instead the message just doesnt go anywhere which I think is worse b/c it provides a 'false' sense of security and the customers won't know their messages aren't going out until they get an irate customer like I did yesterday wondering why I'm not replying to their messages.

Once again, replying to this thread is good but the BEST way to get their attention is to inundate them with support tickets and make sure your CSM's know about the issue too.
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

I think we can all agree that something is really odd that no one at RC seems to know about this. Evidently they do not use the RC texting app for anyone outside the company. Maybe we need to send them group texts so they can see what happens when they reply to us.

Scott McClannahan

Piling on again; had yet ANOTHER customer tell me that they are loosing business because Ring Central doesnt want to make this a priority ... more money down the drain ...
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
the group text situation needs addressing of some type. it would be great to be able to use the mobile app just like my personal cell, including group texts.
Photo of Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hey RC sales guy does your platform fully support sms texting? Yes it does!!. Hey RC sales guy can you send and receive group texts? Yes you can!! Our sales people frequently texts both husband and wife. Of course 3 months after we are fully deployed my sales people are discovering that you cannot reply to a group text. You sure can receive them though.

I would say this should be a simply fix and one that requires immediate fixing.

Somewhat disappointing.
Photo of Rob Schaerer

Rob Schaerer

More than somewhat dissappointing, I would say.  My sales person also told me that we could group text.  The issue is that the sales people only use it for INTERNAL communication and not with external contacts.  

What happens when you try to use it for external contacts is that you can receive the group texts, but when you reply it goes directly to each individual.  

For those of you that are frustrated with this platform, Google Voice has had this ability for years and is just rolling out a beta test of a FREE voip standalone service that will let you call directly from the app or from web.  This will be a solution that I'm going to be using and maybe that will be helpful for folks here.  Here's the link to sign up for the beta test:  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/voice/aI7m1PrV21Y/NGyr35QECAAJ
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add group text to the application.

There is no way to respond or create a group text in the ring central app, is this coming soon? 
Photo of Rob Schaerer

Rob Schaerer

It's definitely coming soon, but I guess it just depends on whether your definition of soon is the same as RingCentral's or not.  

Scott McClannahan

@RingCentral - how much business do you have to loose before you fix this?  As a reseller we are LOOSING customers because you refuse to make this a priority.  It shoudn't be something that is weeks/months of time to fix AND it shouldnt go ignored for so long.
Photo of Paul Infantolino

Paul Infantolino

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I too am getting a lot of angry customers.  Having to respond to each person individually makes the conversations very difficult to keep track of.  Will be looking to replace RC
Photo of Richard McDonald

Richard McDonald

• 60 Points
Still an issue.....
(Edited)
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

Just got another group text from a client and I am the only one that cannot respond. I really like texting from the desktop app but the more and more group texts I get, the more frustrated I get. Can someone at RC just let us know if there are any plans to fix this bug? If not, I'll stop using it and you want have to hear me complain about it anymore.

• 65,176 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Alan, our RingCentral (Glip) app team is looking at adding this functionality now that the RC app has telephony service. There's no set date for a release yet but they are looking at some time next year. When I learn more I'll update this post! 
Photo of Kevin Whiteside

Kevin Whiteside

Hello again Saadet.  We're waiting on Glip's ability to do this?  We have a "telephony" service in our phone apps and our desktop apps....group txt'ing is going to have to wait for Glip?
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

Does this mean I will only be able to group text people who sign into Glip? What will happen when I get a group text. Will I need everyone in the group to first sign into Glip?

• 65,176 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Alan, since it hasn't been built yet, I can't say for sure. However, I do not believe so. It should work just like any other group SMS now - you'll simply be texting from the RC app but those in the group sms won't need to be Glip users
Photo of Kevin Whiteside

Kevin Whiteside

This has clearly not been on Ring Central's radar.  Since the quarter ending last December (when this forum thread started) Ring Central has invested $92 Million into "Research and Development" (https://ycharts.com/companies/RNG/r_and_d_expense).  Our Unified Communications Solution still can't group txt!?
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

I am getting so many group texts now I'm not sure I can wait another year for this to be fixed. I wish everyone would email me instead but more and more of my clients prefer texting now. Still cannot believe they won't fix the bug in the app especially since it has been a deal breaker for me and others.

Scott McClannahan

Sadeet / Ring Central - I feel confident that I am not alone when I say this:

WE DONT GIVE A DAMN about GLIP! 

I'm sure some of us use it and feel that it is beneficial but I think RingCentral does a poor job of understanding customer priorities and pain points.  This "group text" message has been an ongoing issue since the MIDDLE OF 2017 when I first submitted it as a bug.  It took you guys nearly 4 months to get back and say "this works as expected" which is complete BS.  Now we are nearly a year later, you've spent over $92 million in R&D, and you STILL cannot fix a simple problem like this.

I have told all my existing RC customers not to count on the RingCentral texting because it does not work as advertised and we sure as hell don't want to use a product like GLIP if RingCentral cant do simple texting.  Saying we have to wait on Glip is like saying you need to wait on a seatbelt in my car to be recalled before I can change the flat tire.

PLEASE FIX THIS OR SEND OUT A BULLETIN TO ALL RINGCENTRAL USERS AND TELL THEM YOU JUST DONT CARE ABOUT THINGS THAT DONT MAKE YOU MONEY!!!!!!!
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with Scott except in this case, RC is dealing with something that makes them money. Companies are now sending out a lot more text and I have had two clients who really liked the idea of business text but once I told them about the bug, they said it would not work for what they wanted to do.
Photo of Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have to say that Glip just isn't ready and isn't that good. This needs to be fixed on the standard platform. Instead it seems that RingCentral is ignoring the desktop platform in favor of Glip, which by my estimate is not nearly half as a good as the office app. Had we known about the group texting bug we would have never signed on with RC.
Photo of Cakmak

Cakmak

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is totally ridiculous, after switching our entire company over to Ring Central, I found out about this issue. Group texting is one of our main way of communication with our clients. Even free services like TextNow and Google Voice offer this feature and I have no idea why they disabled this feature on RingCentral.

On top of that I love the way support is telling us why don't you use email, thanks guys. Really really great advice........
Photo of Ray Curl

Ray Curl

It looks like it may be time to move to another solution.   If RC was serious about fixing this they would give us a date... just like any normal software company would do that has actual plans to develop a solution.
(Edited)
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

• 372 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree it is time to give up on this and find another solution. You'd think this would be a high priority but it appears they have no plans to fix it. Obviously no one at RC uses their texting to text people outside RC. If they did, they would realize how broken it is.  For some reason they think GLIP is the answer. Not one of my clients has a use for GLIP.  I am trying to find another solution however I want to keep using my RC number and be able to reply from a desktop app. Has anyone found a solution like this?

Scott McClannahan

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Guys, unfortunately this is not going to get any better by a few of us leaving RC or taking our texting to another product. The only way to fix this is to have hundreds or thousands of calls going into RC support for this issue. I have been saying this since I originally posted on this forum nearly two years ago.

What you need to do is every single time you have an issue or receive a group text it doesn't go through call and place a support ticket. I know it's a pain in the butt, but I do it and if a thousand more of us did we could flood their help desk with tickets and they would be forced to realize this is a real issue. I don't think RC even reads these forums or anybody who can make decisions at least, otherwise it would be obvious to them that this is a real problem. The next thing to do is hit him where it hurts, remember it cost them to run a ticket and have an engineer call us back. If we have thousands of tickets that they are wasting their time on trying to troubleshoot group messaging, since most of them won't know that it doesn't work right, they will probably waste a ton of time on it.

Then eventually, some development manager will get wind of how much money was spent and how many tickets came in on this and maybe, maybe, maybe, fingers crossed, maybe, they will fix it. The only other thing I know to do discontinue the b**** on the forums which doesn't seem to be working.
Photo of Rob Schaerer

Rob Schaerer

Funny thing is that I am talking with Bandwidth (the company that supplies the telephonics solution for Ring Central) about integrating them into an app I'm building.  It's the same company that hosts the phone service for Google Voice. They were baffled that Ring Central doesn't have the ability to do group messaging since they have offered that functionality for years.

Ring central is just being lazy and doesn't understand this being a necessity.  It wouldn't even take a whole lot on their side to change this based on what I'm seeing from the API from Bandwidth.  
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

Are you saying that RC uses Bandwidth's app for messaging? This is what I found on bandwidth.com
"Group messaging is a huge part of the way we communicate. You’re probably in a group chat with your family and one with your college crew. Now you can enjoy the same convenience with your coworkers, clients – even your smart home devices."
https://www.bandwidth.com/messaging/group-messaging-api/

Photo of Rob Schaerer

Rob Schaerer

YES.  I wouldn't call it an APP since companies like bandwidth are really just an application portal for app developers to use telephonics / text messaging.  

They were mystified when RC didn't have the ability to do group messaging.
Photo of Cakmak

Cakmak

We are dumping bunch of money into this service and my employees are using a free service Textnow to communicate with our clients. How amazing is that guys, just can't believe this.
Photo of Ed Marill

Ed Marill

• 64 Points
This has been a major issue with me for a long time, and am considering cancelling my account as a result. I need group text in the most fundamental of ways. I look like a complete dope when husband / wife clients send me a group text and I can't respond to both simultaneously. "You see, you think you're texting my cell phone, but it's not actually my cell phone account. What? No it does ring my cell phone when you call, but it's really through an app called ring central. And that app doesn't support group text... That is why I'm responding to both of you through separate texts... On second thought, here is my ACTUAL cell phone number... So we'll just use that from here on out... What's that, won't it be a nightmare of logistics trying to keep track of which clients are using my cell phone number and which are using my RC number? Why yes, that is a complete nightmare.. How long has this been going on? Well, I've seen some threads on the company's support page that go back years... Wait, what's that? You're firing me because if I'm dumb enough to use this system, then you're afraid of how well I can handle your transaction?..."
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

It is hard to explain to the customer that the people they rely on for technology can't do basic texting. I stopped telling everyone that RC can text.
Photo of Rob Schaerer

Rob Schaerer

GOOD NEWS to everyone!  Google just updated their google voice service as a paid service now with business features that Ring Central has been lacking and for WAY less per month.  You can get a basic line set for $10 per month and it looks like you will have the ability to have all of the features available including programatic access to call, text, and voicemail logs for just $20 per month per line (which also includes PBX features it looks like!).  https://cloud.google.com/voice/
Photo of Cakmak

Cakmak

This is amazing and guest what? They do support group texting!
Photo of Kevin Whiteside

Kevin Whiteside

I'm getting my pitch fork back out.  Literally this morning my RingCentral Phone updated to 11.0.1.35084.  I quickly read through the "Release Notes" to see if they finally address this...nope.  We have several features added...but we still can't group txt...It's CRAZY to me.  I've recently switched my cell service over to Google Fi and as far as I know they are the only carrier fully supporting RCS (if you don't know what RCS is...  https://jibe.google.com/ ). Why is RingCentral not on top of this?  I really am at a loss for words on RingCentral's lack of communication on this topic.  As a Partner I'll forward this to my rep (who I just spoke with a few minutes ago...Hi Erica).

Scott McClannahan

Dear all ... Ring Central DOES NOT CARE ... sorry.
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

Hard to believe but you are correct. No one at RC seems to think this is a big deal and I mention it all the time. I'm working on large deal with close to 200 seats. They were excited about the texting when they saw it. When I told them about the limitation, that ended their enthusiasm.  They have no use for Glip since they use MS Teams.  Now we are working together to find another solution for them and for me. On the bright side, we can still do conference calls to more than one person at a time
Photo of Cakmak

Cakmak

I spoke with jive.com, they said if we switch they would give us 6 months free. However, they don't support group texting as well. (((((
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled group messaging.

Noticed today when someone texted me and another person to my voip # that ring central does not have a group texting feature currently. I had to have that person resend to me and the other person to my personal cell. I prefer to get all my business related texts for my service business to go through my main office number and not my personal cell so if ring central would consider group texting that would be helpful to me and hopefully others.Thank You. 
Photo of Alan Dratch

Alan Dratch

Don't count on this getting fixed. It has been a few years that we have been wanting this and RC does not seem to think this is a problem or they think without it, we will all go running to GLIP which is not going to happen
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having this same issue. I get group texts from outside  trade people helping  us on our service projects, and I need to be able to reply back to them, but all their numbers shows as null, null, and so of course I'm unable to send a reply. Thank you RC for your wonderful lack of support for a much needed feature.
Photo of Cakmak

Cakmak

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yep, welcome to ringcentral.
Photo of Luci Neumann

Luci Neumann

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled creating a group for a group text.

Set up a group for a group text
Photo of paulberg

paulberg

• 70 Points
I have clients that send me a group text message including two or more people.  These are people all outside my company and non ring central users.  The conversation string is important to keep in tact so the group can have a normal group discussion via text that is seen by all.   When replying to their group text I get a error message "Message not sent. Recipient extension not found" 

The only work around I have been able to use is to create a new text myself and manually re-create the group to reply to all.  That then sends out individual messages to each  person on the list.  This is obviously unacceptable and unworkable. 

The only other option I have is to use my personal cell phone texting capability for texting with my personal cell phone number rather than ring central. 

With everyone texting now a days, it is inconceivable to me that ring central has not implemented a solution to this problem.  It is really affecting my business and, as a tech company, it looks horrible that I cant reply  to a simple group text. 

As much as i like ring central and recommend / implement with other companies, this can well be a deal killer.  I will be looking for alternatives to ring central.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  
Photo of Cakmak

Cakmak

Google Voice and textnow is free  and they offer group texting as well.