Ability to transfer straight to voicemail.

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am very frustrated with the loss of ability to transfer directly to a voicemail. We need the ability to decide when to send to voicemail and when to transfer to the person and it ring at their desk. Taking away that ability is a disservice to customers! REALLY! It is so very frustrating that we were not consulted before taking away a NEEDED feature. Not having this makes the product FAR LESS VALUABLE OR ABLE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER SERVICES! 

My question is HOW LONG until YOU FIX the PROBLEM YOU CREATED HERE!!!??
Photo of Rachel Campbell

Rachel Campbell

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • SUPER UPSET! Frustrated! aggravated!

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 20,380 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
They are working on re-integrating an easy BLIND TRANSFER method - I had a very productive meeting with RC engineering staff late last week.  In the meantime - have you already tried using the LONG PRESS on the Transfer button when you need to use this feature?  While the call is live on your screen, pressing and holding the TRANSFER button for longer than you used to - should make available the blind transfer option you were used to using. 
Photo of Rachel Campbell

Rachel Campbell

Thank you so much! No one on the phone call where I spent more than half the time on hold told me this! I appreciate the help. 
Photo of Ronda Tappan

Ronda Tappan, Champion

• 858 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
What type of phone do you have? Here is an article: https://success.ringcentral.com/artic...
Photo of arlantz

arlantz

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Transfer to Voice Mail.

Our client almost never does a blind transfer. Transfers are usually consultative or to voice mail. Since transfer to voice mail requires a blind transfer, too many steps are required to do this and the reception staff is frustrated. *0 should work without having to hold down Transfer and switch to blind. Also, they have VX Polycom Phones with a sidecar of additional buttons. They would like to program a few of these to operate as a one button transfer to key users' voice mail.

Thanks!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,468 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To make it easier, you can change the default transfer type. See the article Ronda posted a link to above. 
Photo of arlantz

arlantz

Hi Mike,

Almost 100% of the transfers are either a) consultative or b) to voicemail. Changing the default to blind won't work in their situation because they almost never do a blind transfer.
Photo of Dawn

Dawn

• 656 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Our reception staff uses the Polycom VVX500 with a sidecar and we have changed the default transfer type to "blind transfer", this way all they have to do is press Transfer then *0 and the extension to officially transfer the call directly to voicemail. This method is a lot more efficient than having to press and hold the Transfer button. I do admit that this was a completely new way of transferring calls directly to voicemail, as in the past with our old PBX system we were able to complete this task by simply pressing the VM key and the button for the user's extension.

We've been experiencing a lot of issues with the Polycom desk phone and sidecar and have been testing out the use of a Plantronics USB headset with the desktop phone. With the couple days of testing that we've completed, I can say that most of the phone duties seem to run a bit smoother... it is a bit awkward at first to get used to the fact that the actual phone is no longer there and all of your buttons have moved to the computer screen. But hey, with the desktop phone, you get a "Transfer to Voicemail" button which rules out all of the unnecessary button pressing. We definitely like that! Also, in using the desktop phone, the park assignment pops up on the screen immediately so you don't have to wait forever for the "auto attendant" to announce where the caller was parked. We park all of our calls rather than utilizing the warm transfer method since it works better for our users and allows them a moment to gather up the necessary information before taking the call.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 23,952 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I understand your issue and agree it could be better.  I have one more idea for you that may be an option and some help.  You can create virtual extensions for free and designate them to do nothing, but go to voicemail and then push the message to the user's mailbox.  For example if you have a user at 101 you might make a virtual 201 for them.  Then you can transfer to 201 or put 201 on a button module to simplify transferring direct to voicemail.
Photo of Rachel Campbell

Rachel Campbell

Thank you, but this seems to be a lot of work to simply transfer a call to a voicemail don't you think?

This phone system is supposed to make the users life easier, not create a problem where we have to spend time finding a way to do something that we could do before (albeit requiring more steps than should be necessary in 2016)  and now can't complete that task simply.

At least for now our staff knows that if we hold down the transfer button longer than usual we can force the transfer, but honestly it seems like the designers of this phone have never worked in an office!

It seems that creating extra extensions to serve as virtual mailboxes means one of two things: 1. someone has to manually push all voicemail to the correct box, or 2. the staff has to remember to check two extensions for voicemail. 
Photo of arlantz

arlantz

This is a clever idea, and it works. Fortunately this client has a relatively small number of lines and lots of space on the sidecars, so it will satisfy their need until there is an easier way.

Thanks!
Photo of Shurhold

Shurhold

• 802 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Would be nice to be able to transfer to VM using the onscreen extension keys.  Small office and otherwise no real need to remember extensions.  In the current age of computers and programing.  Having us remember star codes seems backwards.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

I realize there are certain limitations to the the desk phones, but, if you by any chance use the softphone, there's an option to do this.  View: How do I transfer a call directly to someone's voicemail?
Photo of Rachel Campbell

Rachel Campbell

Mike the problem I have is that the instructions you list in that link for the polycom are not possible now! The blind key is gone! So can you understand why our office is so frustrated?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Rachel, Can you confirm what phone model you have, and which firmware version you have?  Also, did the phone come from RingCentral?

If it's from RingCentral and it's a Polycom VVX model, this will work.  How to view firmware version.
(Edited)
Photo of Rachel Campbell

Rachel Campbell

We have two different phones in our office. The front desk is a  polycomVVX500 and the rest of us have polycom VVX310. neither of these phone types are allowing us to transfer to voicemail except by holding down the transfer button longer. The fact that so much time is being spent on working around an expected feature, that quite frankly should be put back into the code the way it was before and then improve the functionality later! This is a ridiculous mistake by the company and not addressing it and fixing it ASAP is a blunder! Not only in customer service but in marketing as well! This is a giant pain in the neck for our firm to deal with, as it is for all the other customers taking time to discuss it here! 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Rachel,  Each user can change the default transfer type to whichever they prefer.  Take a look at this article for detailed instructions.  how to Blind or Warm Transfer calls on Polycom and Cisco Deskphones.
Photo of Rachel Campbell

Rachel Campbell

We need to be able to do a regular transfer where the attorney or other staff member can just answer the phone. Therein is the problem. You can not use the system for both situations easily. Your team seems to have missed the concept because you keep telling me this. I need to have the option to do either, without having to put our caller on hold try to go in and change the default transfer setting and then put the call to voicemail or vis versa to the staff member to answer.  Given the large amount of people complaining about this wouldn't it make sense to correct the issue? 
(Edited)
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't get this Blind Transfer - it is not sending the call to voicemail - it just automatically routes it to the phone, rings there, follows the call pattern and then finally ends up in voicemail.  How do we transfer directly to voice mail (as in do not pass go, do not ring the phone extension, do not follow the ring progression - go straight to voicemail)?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,506 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Steve, the blind transfer just sends a call to another user without you introducing the call.  If they dont answer it will follow the established call rules

When transferring put *0 in front of the extension and it will go directly to the VM box of that extension and bypass the call flow

Make Sense?

Chuck
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

In our case *0 is not doing this.  It is ringing the phone.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,506 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is voice mail turned on for that extension?

So to transfer to Extension 525's Voice mail  you are typing *0525 when you go to transfer the call

Are you doing this?
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

Yes voicemail is working on the extension.  I saw somewhere else that the simple transfer to voicemail works from the desktop app.  I gave that a go and it works just like one would expect.  Now to get the phone to do that.
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

Sorry - yes to *0208 to transfer to x208. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 20,380 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
12-13-2016 Is there a firm timeline in place yet for when the Blind Transfer issue will be isolated and restored? We are still having negative feedback from several sites which are having issues transferring direct to Voicemail.  We have provided them with the direct links to how to do this via a VVX 500 Polycom phone and still getting "it doesn't work" .....reports. I am aware this is a User issue presently, but now I am being pushed by management to provide details on the timeline for fixing this.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,578 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Cecile, 

Is it actually not working the way described in this Knowledge-Base article?  There was a firmware update pushed out that actually changed the way it works so the KB is the new normal behavior.  If it's not working as shown in the instructions, then please open a support case so this can be investigated.  If it's working as designed, but just not desirable, then the best thing is to submit a feature request and if there's enough interest in a change our Product Team will take it under consideration. 

Take a look at this article for detailed instructions.  how to Blind or Warm Transfer calls on Polycom and Cisco Deskphones.
Photo of Mike Hertelt 230

Mike Hertelt 230

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

We have the same issue with the blind transfer button for a long time now.

Having to hold the xfer button for longer works but it added yet more steps to an already complicated way of transferring directly to somebodies voicemail.

You guys need to look at this ASAP. Find a easy way to do this from a desk phone to somebodies voicemail.

No excuses, no workarounds, and don't blame Polycom please!

When our company tested this service we expected to keep at least the features we had at that time.

Taking them away is wrong. Call it bait and switch if you like!

I cannot stress enough, how I think RC should concentrate on the Phone Service.

if RC doesn't, than they don't even need to worry about pushing other services like RC Office or Glip to their customer Base, because there won't be one!

Photo of d[-_-]b RikB

d[-_-]b RikB

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am adding in my 2¢ on this as well.  I just spent the past hour trying to explain to the VP of sales and his assistant on how to handle calls using the park and transfer feature.  They both walked away still very confused and frustrated.  The days of simply picking up an extension, putting it on hold and having someone else pick it up from a different phone are gone.  Yes, I know this is still possible, but it is not a simple process.  The blind transfer is what pushed the assistant over the edge with glazed over eyes.  *0 should already be a flag to do a blind (polycom) transfer,  but once you press *0 you are on the keypad for the rest of the way.  It would be nice if you could still get back to see the lines to complete the transfer. It would also be nice to look at the option of presence from a receptionist or assistant point of view and not just a call center view.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,246 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
the polycom fix of using the long hold of transfer doesnt work, calls still ring the phone or prompt me to enter my pin, which i dont want to check my messages, i want to leave one without ringing the busy party.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,568 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There seems to be confusion between a blind/cold transfer and sending a call directly to voicemail.  Are you trying to do the latter?  If so see:  How do I transfer a call directly to someone's voicemail?
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

Mike,

We are trying to do the latter.  I've tried everything in the link you provided with no success.  Sorry - on the phone itself - nothing has worked.  The desktop app works as described, but our receptionist is not going to use the desktop app to answer calls - has to be the handset.

If we're talking blind transfer, I have gotten this to work, but we don't want the recipients phone ringing; therefore, this is not an option.

Mike Hertelt 230

They confusion lies completetly with you Mike! Everybody else in this threat knows what they used to be able to do , until RC pushed out a very bad update. Ringcentrals procedure to transfer a call directly to someones voicmail includes having to push the blind button on the phones. Holding the xfer button for 5 seconds will get you into a submenu to select blind and then *0ext. But I invite you to come and cover our reception desk for just one hour! After 5 min YOU will want me to get another provider! I also don't want to change the default setup to blind instead of conversation. Thats because our receptionist checks if someone has time to a tually take the call. Some times they respond to send it to voicemail. Right here, RC fails to finish the job easily!
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,246 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you do the long hold of transfer and select blind while on the call with a polycom, I don't believe it changes for every call after that. I'm pretty sure it will be on a call by call basis, so you don't have to worry about it always going as a blind transfer and you you should still be able to warm transfer ( press transfer and announce to someone who is calling for them then complete the transfer)

Mike Hertelt 230

You are absolutely right. Holding the long transfer button does not change the default setting. I just mentioned it because unfortunately RingCentral techs have suggested it as a viable solution. Unfortunately a one second procedure RingCentral made a 10-second procedure which five seconds of it you just holding a button!
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I see this is already marked as answered, but you may want to take a look at an attendant console.  Bridge Operator Console provides these features for users, and is designed for front desk works, making it superior to a desk phone.

https://bit.ly/2MhxgnK

Photo of Beverly P. Ext. 101

Beverly P. Ext. 101

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Am I missing something or is this still the case for Polycom users?  We just got RingCentral and our staff cannot believe how difficult it is to transfer to voicemail.  We do exactly as the original poster does - consult with recipient and either transfer or send to voicemail.  I can see how it is easy on the Softphone but what about the VVX series?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just put a *0 in front of the extension when transferring   I believe you need to do a blind transfer to make this work.

I have also created a VM only extension for some customers.  So for example, if your normal extension is 150, I create an extension that is 250 and when a call get's transferred to that extension it goes directly to VM

I am just presenting 2 options available

is the *0 not working?

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Consultant
Chuck@Yoritguy.com
Photo of Beverly P. Ext. 101

Beverly P. Ext. 101

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We're just getting our feet wet and haven't switched our main number over but I think the receptionist is not happy about having to first do a consultative transfer to see if the person on our end wants to take the call, and then if not, to switch to a blind transfer.  If you do *0 but your default is consultative will it make it a blind transfer.