Add Additional Star-Key or # Key Commands

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Numerous customers have asked for this simple feature in the forums but it seems the only answer ever provided is to use Presence or call queues or some other routing arrangement that isn't what the customer wants or may not be ideal for the situation.

Call Pickup is a simple feature that all phones support natively if they have a * (star) key (which all do).  It's a star-key sequence that is similar to those used for Call Park or to initiate Call Recording.

Using Presence is not a good solution, as it requires the purchase of (not only) a more expensive phone, but add-on modules as well (often more expensive per-module than the phone) in order to cover all phones in a given department or company, and in some cases the other features of Presence are not needed (as in our case - we just want the ability to pickup a ringing phone at someone else's extension without physically getting up and walking over there, we don't need to monitor who is on their phone).

Call Queues and Shared lines are also not a good solution - Managers and Executives don't want their calls going to a queue or ringing at multiple locations.   They also don't want to have to remember to put a phone on DND if they step away for a moment or are busy having a conversation with someone in their office. 

Given that it's a simple and basic feature that all phones support and nearly every provider offers (in fact, RC is the first I've encountered that doesn't seem to offer Call Pickup) and you have many customers who want this feature, I respectfully suggest that you add this feature.
Photo of Trisha

Trisha

• 1,960 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • hopeful

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Charlie Menghetti

Charlie Menghetti

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Dear Ring Central:  Could you please make this a priority?  Or if you already have it, could you get us the rosetta stone so we can crack the code on how to use it?

Thank you,

Photo of Adrian

Adrian

• 448 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
After some investigation on the phone administration, the star-key sequence ID needs to be added to their server to identify call groups so when one enters the combination it knows which phones to check for. As it stands now, the function is built in to the phones and ready to go, only grouping needs to be assigned. I've liked this post, since it is indeed a necessary core mechanic that should be implemented ASAP.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,530 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, yes, yes.  This is an important feature and has many applications for many businesses.  In particular I would like to add that there should be a star key sequence to pick up calls to a call queue group too.  When dialed it should pull the longest waiting call from the queue to be answered.
Photo of Jim Fulford

Jim Fulford

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any update on this?
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

• 760 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree, this is really important. You can do a pick up using the desktop app but not standard deskphones, nor in the smartphone app nor the Chrome app. It's a big problem for us as queues and shared lines won't work for these use cases as described.
Photo of Josh Youngblood

Josh Youngblood

• 618 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agreed, this would solve so many customer complaints.  We have clients that might switch off RingCentral simply because this feature is not available.
Photo of Francois Joubert

Francois Joubert

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Here too - customers expect to be able to work this way. I have a new customer, just cut-over to RC and we have just discovered that there are no star-codes (didn't flag up in planning discussions)
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

It's so obvious it's not something you ask about in planning. It's a ubiquitous standard feature elsewhere.. RC asked us to visit another customer to see how they were working around it. The sales director at the other customer said "oh, that explains why people jump up and run across the office to answer a phone! Or let it go to voicemail." - he didn't know it wasn't possible and just assumed staff didn't know how.
Photo of Francois Joubert

Francois Joubert

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am new to RC and, as you say, just expected the feature to be available.

Have you tried to take this up with RC more directly (via account management or higher)?
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

I mentioned it on a call with their COO about limitations with the Chrome extension, along with other Google integration issues, but I thought it was a limitation of that device - I was shocked when I discovered it wasn't an option even on desk phones. I'll be raising this and a few other major hurdles next time we speak.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,808 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This page contains a list of the existing RingCentral Phones Function Keys: * and # Codes

If there's a * or # command that you would like to see, please comment below and include specifics for "what it does" so that other users can vote/comment. 
Photo of Josh Youngblood

Josh Youngblood

Mike, 
In the original post it describes what we all want:  "Call Pickup".  I'll summarize again.

Description:  There should be a star-key function for general Call Pickup.  *84 would be a fine star-key option for this since it's not used for anything else.  This feature would allow a user to pickup any line that is currently ringing.  NOTE:  this is different than Presence because Presence requires the user to have a phone that has the presence button for the person/line they want to pick up.  This feature allows pickup of any ringing line.  

Use Case:  A desk phone rings in the office.  The user does not know which phone is ringing but is required by company policy to answer any ringing phone that is not being answered.  The user also has a phone that supports limited presence buttons and does not have an expansion module.  The user can then dial *84 to "Pickup" the incoming call, regardless of who it is coming into.  

Value:  MAJOR.  Like I said in my previous post, we have a client that is looking to switch off RC because this feature doesn't exist.  They had this in their previous phone system.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,478 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Count my vote for the call pickup feature too.  I'll add that there are usually at least a couple variations to this feature.

1. Directed call pick up.  This is where you would dial a code + extension to pickup that specific extension.

2. Group pick up.  This is where a group of extensions needs to be predefined and then any user in the group dials a code and it will answer any other ringing phone in the same group.

Last, most systems also allow this feature to be enabled/disabled via class of service because of course some users would object to the fact that any other user could answer their calls at any time.
Photo of Josh Youngblood

Josh Youngblood

Agreed!  One option for RC to implement this could be to configure the "permissions" of this the same way you configure Presence for the user to allow only certain people to answer their calls.  The additional feature here would be to allow the star-key pickup in addition to the presence soft-key.
Photo of Josh Youngblood

Josh Youngblood

Also, to be clear, this feature request appears to be the same as the feature request here:  https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/please-add-a-star-key-sequence-to-use-to-pick-u...
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I just merged it into this one.  Thanks!
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

The merge should have been the other way around, or at least change the subject of this one to mention call pick up. It now doesn't say what the star key is for.
(I created it as a new topic because I was asked to by RingCentral staff...)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I purposely re-titled this page to encompass all  * and # key requests so that all votes are combined and raises more awareness for our product team. 
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

But this (call pick up) is a very specific issue -, it just happens that implementing it via */# requests means it would work across all devices, so is probably the easiest solution.
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

(Another option would be to support Polycom and Cisco phone pick up buttons, and add a specific button to the smartphone and Chrome extensions...)
Photo of Paul Lomax

Paul Lomax

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add a STAR-KEY sequence to use to pick up a call that is ringing to anothe....

Add the ability to pick up any ringing extension that you have permission on (eg via group or presence). This is really standard on many phone systems. 

Call pick up is possible via the desktop app, but only via Presence. If some users require a desk phone, then only very expensive models support Presence. And in order to pick up other extensions on those phones, if you have a team of more than a dozen then every user would need to add a side car as I understand it. Also the smartphone app and the Chrome extension do not support call pick up via Presence. 

Adding a star key sequence to support ringing extension pick up would fix this use case for all devices. 

For clarity, the 'workaround' of using call queues / shared lines is not a valid solution either as it would require a complete change in working practices for teams.  
Photo of CSS Technician

CSS Technician

• 60 Points
Please add this function.   We have users with the Polycom VVX201 phones.  Presence is not an option.   On occsasion, some need to be able to pick up inbound calls with being part of the group. 
Photo of Rob Byers

Rob Byers

• 384 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
A Group Pickup option or star-key sequence would be greatly helpful. This is one of number of missing features (e.g. Speed dial) that is a head-scratcher as to why they are not basic functions of this telephone system.
Photo of C.E. Mehlenbacher

C.E. Mehlenbacher

• 64 Points
Please add the call pickup functionality via star codes since I am getting this request from most of my new clients.  This is a common phone system feature and is used frequently and is offered on  competitors platforms.  From a partner perspective, this missing feature along with no company speed dial functionality, etc. prevents me from recommending your service for clients that are "desk phone" centric and need this functionality at their desk phones.  Your service features should be available across the entire platform (desk phone, mobile app, softphone, etc.) and having some features that are only accessible via the desktop app and not on a desk phones is not good in my opinion.

Thanks in advance.