Add Advanced Rules to block or forward SMS / Text Messages

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
We have multiple main numbers.  Each number is an office number for different locations and those numbers are pointed to a call queue.  For example we have 614 xxx-xxxx is going to our Columbus call queue and 336-xxx-xxxx number is going to our SalemWinston call queue and 765-xxx-xxxx is going to our Muncie call queue and so on. 

The problem we have is when someone sends a text message to these main office numbers, there is no way to route this text message to a specific extension like you can the actual call.  We are in the real estate industry and our clients often use text messaging and they will text our main number.  Right now, all the text messages sent to these numbers end up in the operator desktop app. 

Would be great to be able to route text messages like you do call flows, being able to route a text message to an extension or multiple extensions.  Additionally, when the text message arrived in the extension, the notification of text message would kick in also.  Would need to be able to do this a call queue as well.   
Photo of Chris Zimmerman

Chris Zimmerman

• 3,394 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,130 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Great idea!
Photo of Steven Suslick

Steven Suslick

• 1,006 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Route business SMS texts to an extension.

By the way the same could be considered for inbound text messages too.
(Edited)
Photo of Steven Suslick

Steven Suslick

• 60 Points

this was supposed to be fax not text in my comment. I do not want outsiders to know all of our back numbers so adding an extension feature to both text and fax would be great it used to be a simple x### on the end of the number and it gout routed, we need to bring this back. I am sorry to see that after 1+ years this still does not exist.

Photo of Steven Suslick

Steven Suslick

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
this was supposed to be fax not text in my comment. I do not want outsiders to know all of our back numbers so adding an extension feature to both text and fax would be great it used to be a simple x### on the end of the number and it gout routed, we need to bring this back. I am sorry to see that after 1+ years this still does not exist.
Photo of Ty Palmer

Ty Palmer

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Read/Reply to texts from extension user account.

We have two secretaries in our office whose responsibilities vary, but they both need the ability to read and reply to texts that come into the office on the SAME main office line number.  It appears only one user is allowed this ability.  Is there a way to make it so users on separate extensions can read and reply to SMS on the same main office phone number?  I know we could have one log in to the other user on her cell phone, and the desktop app on her computer for the calls to route properly, but the reason we switched to RingCentral was to get away from our employees having to use their personal cell phones for company work.
Photo of Rich Green

Rich Green

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS Forwarding.

We would like to see a feature added.  There should be a way that after normal business hours, all incoming SMS messages are "held" or "paused" until business hours resume the following morning.

My company has multiple RingCentral numbers assigned to various employees.  These numbers are all assigned to personal cell phones.  We have been able to configure the system so that calls after a certain time(say 5pm) go straight to voicemail instead of actually ringing the phone.  But we still receive text messages sent to our various RingCentral numbers.  What we would like is a way to not only automatically forward voice calls after business hours, but forward/hold/etc SMS messages after business hours as well.  
Does that make more sense??
Photo of Michel

Michel, Champion

• 4,172 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
We need rules for routing text messages as well, but more so for during or outside of office hours.  Setting up advanced rules similar to voice call handling would be very usefull.
Photo of CORTES

CORTES

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to block or forward SMS / text messages.

We have a main number and several individual lines. We want the ability to forward any texts inadvertently sent to the main number to a group of the individual lines. Since no person has a soft phone logged into the main number, employees must periodically log off their individual lines and log in on the main line to collect any text messages that have accumulated.

As a workaround we have the main line set to alert several people by text when a text on the main number is received. The employees can't read the content of the text and still need to sign out of their individual line to retrieve the message.

SMS are only sent out from individual lines, but occasionally a customer will respond to a voice call or message with a text. If the caller ID is set to the main number on the outbound call (and it usually is), the text goes to the main line and is difficult to retrieve. If texts could be forwarded, a group of employees would get the text and be able to respond on their individual line. 

We are in the US.
We repair cars and use phone and text to communicate with customers. 
We currently have 6 users/lines
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
whatever extension your main number is pointed to, assuming your not using an IVR menu, should have a place to where notifications are sent. if someone texts that number it should notify you that you got a text and you should be able to respond via email or reply from another users line. i think that should shed a little light on it. hope it helps.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,358 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Chris,

That won't work for main numbers that are toll-free (like my main number for example). They won't accept texts nor will they advise you of it. Cortes doesn't advise as to whether or not that is the case for his system.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
good to know
Photo of Josh Villalobos

Josh Villalobos

• 30 Points
I have the same problem. Really need this feature. You have it for calls why not for text messages. 
Photo of Ryland Nelson

Ryland Nelson

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
also need this
Photo of WESTBROOK

WESTBROOK

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is an incredibly important feature for businesses.  We don't always have the same people in the office all the time.  Whether it be secretaries or communication with clients.
Photo of David Shotwell

David Shotwell

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Forwarding capabilities for incoming text messages.

Clients are now as likely to text with service requests as they are to call on the phone. We really need the capability to have incoming business texts forwarded to another extension when we are out of the office, on vacation, or in meetings. Is there a way this can be implemented?
Photo of Howell

Howell

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need this badly. We have multiple Offices with their own Main Number they use for Caller ID. Customers are texting back to the Main Number and they come to my Main Company Number Notification. I have no idea which Number they are texting back to. This is a missed reply from a customer. The Custom Rule should apply to Texts as well as Voice.
Photo of Diana

Diana

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Rules for SMS routing.

It would be great to have a setting to make rules for SMS routing, similar to calls routing.

For example: From 9am-12pm calls and SMS will be received by ext 1. From 1pm-5pm calls and SMS will be received by ext 2. 

FEATURE REQUEST TEMPLATE:
1) Account Type: Canada
2) A brief description of the business: IT
3) A high level description of the product or feature being requested: Rules for SMS routing, similar to calls routing
4) A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: From 9am-12pm calls and SMS will be received by ext 1 (virtual assistant). From 1pm-5pm calls and SMS will be received by ext 2 (business owner).
5) Benefit of such feature: The business owner will be able to focus in other aspects of the business other than answering calls and SMS for a specified time frame.
6) Include any related case number if applicable: N/A
7) Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 2 for now but has great possibility to grow
Photo of Technical Support

Technical Support

• 814 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Please add the ability to schedule and route notifications for SMS, FAX, Voicemail, Fax transmission results. For example Mon-Wed notifications go to email 1, Thurs-Fri it goes to email 2 

Photo of WINDSOR

WINDSOR

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Forwarding SMS/Text Messages.

Users and Admins should be able to set up automatic forwarding of text/SMS messages to another RingCentral User. For example, if an employee is out of town, why can't that person temporarily forward her text messages to another user the way she can forward calls and voicemail messages?

Our company is a direct mail marketing company in the U.S. If an employee suddenly leaves the company, we like to make sure that the former employee's number is forwarding to another user for a few weeks before disabling the phone number to make sure all clients of the former employee can still contact the company during the transition. There should be an option to automatically forward the former employee's text messages to another user, too.

Benefits would include increased customer satisfaction because their messages wouldn't get lost in the cracks and reduced manpower of employees manually forwarding messages one at a time as listed in this article:  https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/en_US/RC_Knowledge_Article/5780#forwardmessage

A RingCentral employee responded to our case that this feature is not available, despite the fact that text messaging has become so prevalent. This needs to be addressed. 
Photo of Gabe Porter

Gabe Porter

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled eature where we can save SMS on the desktop application and forward or save it to....
Photo of Corinne Wisowaty

Corinne Wisowaty

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Text forwarding is absolutely essential to businesses operating in the modern world where customers routinely use text messaging to communicate with us. I am disappointed to see that this feature has been regularly requested over the last 4 years and RingCentral has yet to address it. At the very least there should be a way to set up auto-responses so that we can redirect customers to a different number when necessary.
Photo of WESTBROOK

WESTBROOK

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is very important.  SMS forwarding in this modern age is a must have.
Photo of Angelo Argentieri

Angelo Argentieri

Please add SMS Forwarding.

Photo of Chris Buckely

Chris Buckely

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to forward sms text messages to cell phone like Google voice?.

Wondering if there is a way in Ring Central to forward incoming text messages to a mobile phone like you can do in Google Voice?
Photo of Chris Buckely

Chris Buckely

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any update on this?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris, currently this is not on the roadmap. If that changes, I'll update this post :)
Photo of Jason Rosenzweig

Jason Rosenzweig

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is a needed feature and it should follow the call queue along with the ability to access all message from your direct number and any extensions you are associated with.
Photo of MURPHY

MURPHY

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Forwarding of Text Message to multiple users.

1. Account type: US
  2. A brief description of the business 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested. Capability to receive a text message from a customer and distributed to multiple users 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature. If we will advise a customer to text us using a certain number it will received by multiple users of the account 
  5. Benefit of such feature. Easy view of text message from a dedicated SMS number 
  6. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines 3354

Photo of David Rainosek

David Rainosek

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled text forwarding.

To be useful to our medical practice, calls AND texts must be forwarded.  Ideally based on a calendar schedule but we could make the current rule system work.  

Just forwarding calls is useless to us in an era where 50% of communications and notifications occur via text.

Bonus points if you can make this feature HIPAA compliant so patient information can be texted.

Our group would pay up to $200/mo for this service per hospital number.  There are at least 5 other groups in our small sized US city who would do the same.  I'd imagine thousands of medical practices across the country would use this as well.
Photo of Jason Rosenzweig

Jason Rosenzweig

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi David,

I totally understand your frustration as I came from Healthcare and now have a customer service business and we need a team-based approach to responding to customers. I am shocked they haven't done something with Glip to address this shortfall for handling SMS to a Call Group. Let me see if I can find a solution.

Thanks,
Jason