Add "Call Waiting" as a feature for the Mobile App?

• Idea
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Planned
  • (Edited)
When I'm on a call on the mobile app, I would like to have the ability put the current caller on hold and answer another incoming call, just like on my cell phone, desk phone and desktop app. Why is that basic functionality not available on the mobile app?
Photo of Icemanwolf

Icemanwolf

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Thom Gazey

Thom Gazey

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I need this feature too. What happens now is that while I'm on a call, another call comes in and bumps the original caller to hold without me being able to say, hey, I've got another call coming. Can I put you on hold? Obviously, this is causing a lot of confusion for us and our clients. Is there something in Settings I'm missing?
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Vonage has this feature on their IOS mobile app.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
On the recent mobile app, version 9.0.2,  If you are on a call, (to your RC number)  and a second call comes in, you'll hear a "beep beep".  If you look at your phone screen, you'll see a button that says "hold and answer".  So you do have a chance to tell your current caller something like"  Can you please hold, I have another call coming in". 

Mike
(Edited)
Photo of candi ader

candi ader

• 66 Points
I am on version 10.0.3 and this feature is not available for me?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,042 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi candi ader,

Please see Mike's most recent post which is below.
Photo of Icemanwolf

Icemanwolf

Thanks for your response. I actually have Version 9.03.1.16 (44.5.12.12) for IOS.  Is it still supposed to work for that version? I just tried testing some calls but no beep or call came through. Is there a setting I need to change in the controls? Thank you.
Photo of Toutoush

Toutoush

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
so when will this be available on android?
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

Vonage has this feature on their IOS mobile app. Although I do not know whether this is the same for the android version, I was told there is very little difference between the two mobile app versions.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
I apologize for reporting bad info. I received some bad information so I removed my post above.  After looking into this further,  I learned that this is currently not possible.  On iOS the phones native app takes priority over the RingCentral Mobile app so no notification is received.   I'm converting this thread to a feature request.
(Edited)
Photo of malachi mcglone

malachi mcglone

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike, are you aware of any update or timeline for this? Still can't hear a beep when incoming call is coming in while on ios APP, or hold and answer other call, or merge the two calls. Any updates would be great! Thank you sir. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry but no, I still haven't received word that this is coming any time soon. Can everyone who wants this please keep voting.

Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

FYI, I am vetting the various competition to RC and found that Vonage mobile app (at least for iPhones) have this very useful feature which is the main reason I may choose to go with Vonage.
Photo of REYZIN

REYZIN

• 60 Points
+1
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled call waiting for iPhone 7 Plus.

Is there a way to include the "call waiting" option with the iPhone 7 mobile app? My calls keep getting interrupted and the only way to continue talking with the first caller is to "decline" the call. Is this a possibility in the future?
Photo of Jasmine M

Jasmine M, Employee

• 1,822 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mobile App: Allow customers using ios app to be on more than one call.

1. Account type: Office Premium 1 line
  2. A brief description of the business : not provided
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: Allow customers using ios app to be on more than one call when app is in use. (have call waiting feature.)
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: Customer can use either the native dialer or the app to make/receive a call, and still allow an additional call to be made/answered. 
  5. Benefit of such feature: customer can be on the phone with more people, which is necessary for his business. 
  6. Include any related case number if applicable: 05643186
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 1
Photo of IntelliSurvey Inc

IntelliSurvey Inc

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I, too, would appreciate Call Waiting for the mobile phone application! One of my end users ran into this limitation using version 9.1.1.1.19
This feature would be a great addition.
Photo of malachi mcglone

malachi mcglone

This is necessary or the ios APP is worthless. Please add the ability to first, HEAR a sound that notifies us another call is coming in, THEN have the ability to put the original call on hold and answer new call, with ability to toggle back and forth, AND have the ability to MERGE the two calls as well. Is this in the development pipeline or should we shop for a new Phone Application?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,358 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Malachi...see my response to your previous question.
Photo of Andre Lester

Andre Lester

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I definitely need the mobile call waiting feature!  In my business and other fellow business owners, time is money!  It is vital to have an open line of communication with customers.  Not being able to answer a "call waiting" makes my company seem unprofessional and it could potentially cost me money.  I hope this feature is implemented asasp!!!!#callwaitingmobileapp
Photo of malachi mcglone

malachi mcglone

Hi Jan, I cannot find your response, can you post a direct link? Thanks so much!
Photo of PAX

PAX

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also NEED this feature. Please... It's absolutely necessary. And it's absurd that the app on Android to have the feature and not for iOS. If you need more requests, here's one more. And btw, absolutely ridiculous the "1000 requests queued" policy.
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

FYI Vonage mobile app for iPhone has a call waiting feature.
Photo of PAX

PAX

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also NEED this feature. Please... It's absolutely necessary. And it's absurd that the app on Android to have the feature and not for iOS. If you need more requests, here's one more. And btw, absolutely ridiculous the "1000 requests queued" policy.
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

PAX, check out Vonage. Their IOS mobile app has call waiting feature.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Yes Jose...we know! You've mentioned it six times in the past four minutes! The information is appreciated but this is overkill!
Photo of Larry Solheim

Larry Solheim

• 388 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Another yes vote... crazy that this can't be implemented.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

@ACT and Circus Office,

Here's a recent post from Mike (Official Rep) which helps to answer your questions about absurdity and crazy...

"Regarding the mobile app features (both iOS and Android), many of these requests are more complicated.  It's important to know that both Apple and Android purposely limit what we can do with the Mobile app.  They almost always prevent anything that will interfere with the operation and functionality of their native applications.  This often prevents us from developing features that customers are asking for."

While I am a customer just like you and also would like to see this feature as well as other mobile features being requested, I believe that much of the frustration towards RingCentral is being misplaced. Apple and Google are the ones who determine what can go on their operating systems and what features they can have.
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

FYI - Vonage has a call waiting feature on heir mobile app that I am currently vetting on my iPhone using current IOS system as of December 1, 2017. Obviously, Apple has not prevented Vonage from providing this VERY USEFUL FEATURE (RC are you listening???)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Jose....PLEASE stop!! You have now posted this eight times...seven of them in less than eight minutes!! Twice to Malachi, three times to PAX, once to me and once to Mike!! We get it!! You're not accomplishing anything with the repeated posts, especially when you do it two or three times to the same person and ALL within the same thread!

PLEASE STOP!
(Edited)
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

Jan....the question is "does RC GET IT?"
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Whether they do or not wasn't the point of my post back to you. The fact is that everyone on this thread will receive everyone of your posts. The sheer redundancy just to make a point was getting absurd. As I posted...we all (iOS users, including me) GET IT. That's why we have opened cases (as I did) and posted here.

Just remember that every provider has issues, including the one you so predominately expounded on.
Photo of Jose R. Valdez

Jose R. Valdez

What I find absurd is RC's inability to provide a basic function that is available on other providers. The point of your post back to me is irrelevant to the issue. I understand that every provider has issues - again not the point. Does RC GET IT? about the sole substantive issue: Why is there no call waiting on an RC IOS mobile app?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

To answer your question directly....I don't know why!

I am NOT a RingCental employee, nor a telecommunications client developer, nor a mind-reader. However, I am ending my participation in this thread now!
Photo of Sabor Latino

Sabor Latino

• 62 Points
Really sucks that I am leaving RingCentral because such an old feature is not available. I voted but I need it now.
Photo of malachi mcglone

malachi mcglone

We are shopping around for other providers now as well. Please let us know if you find any winners!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
Sorry it's been a while since we've updated this thread. I do have a little more information.  To be clear, the feature is already available on the Android Mobile app.  In addition, for those of you that use Glip, our Product Team has been integrating more telephony functions into the application.  This is planned to be added to the Glip Mobile app in Q3-2018.  Sorry but we can't give an exact date. I understand this involves a pretty complicated code re-write. 

Mike 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Thanks for the update Mike. Is there any update information with regard to the iPhone mobile app?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,042 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jan, we didn't receive an update :(
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Thanks Saadet...
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add call waiting for iPhones..

Why isn’t the call waiting works with iPhones?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

It hasn’t been for at least 1 1/2 years. I put in a support case, as I am sure others have. As of four months ago Saadet stated there has been no update.
Photo of Icemanwolf

Icemanwolf

So it took us a while to understand this, but it seems like this feature has officially been added. It just wasn't added to the mobile app, "RC Phone." It was added to the "new" mobile app which used to be called "Glip" which apparently is now called "RingCentral." The ability to answer incoming calls while on a call or add multiple other calls to an existing call now works great on the new "RingCentral" mobile app! It seems to do everything that "RC Phone" does plus more. So, I don't see any reason to even use "RC Phone" anymore. I think we can just use "RingCentral for everything. We just tested doing a 3-way call, then even added a 4th caller and was still able to put everyone on hold and answer a 5th caller to merge in and it works great! Thanks for finally adding this feature!
Photo of BODE

BODE

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 2 VOIP Call in Mobile App.

1. Account type: US
  2. A brief description of the business: 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: A functionality for call waiting using mobile app
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: When a user is not on their desk and another call is coming in.
  5. Benefit of such feature: Capability to answer incoming calls all the time.
  6. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines 374

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Call waiting needed on Mobil app.

I need call waiting on my mobile app, it is mandatory for my business and a very basic function. This needs to be implemented ASAP as I am sure many customers would be satisfied with this feature

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled for iPhone Ringcenteral app should have call waiting+ not all text and voicemails....

for iPhone Ringcenteral app should have call waiting, as it is a standard in all phone providers also, not all text messages and voicemails are coming through in the RC Phone app