Add Custom RingTones for Mobile App, Desktop app and Deskphones

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
We've had a variety of request from users to have custom ringtones on the mobile app, desktop app and desk phones.  Please comment and vote on this thread indicating the type of customization you are interested in.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Rachel Peck

Rachel Peck

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Different Ring Tones for transfers/parked calls/internal.

We would like the ability to set internal/transfer/park calls to ring differently than incoming calls from outside our system.

Our system is set up so that incoming calls rings at all phones in a location.  Those associates that are not the primary phone answer-er will often ignore a transfer ring or an internal call because they assume that the ringing indicates an incoming call from the outside that will be answered by another associate.
Photo of Michael Harrison

Michael Harrison

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This! Rachel's situation is very much like most of our clients. We've tweaked the displayed incoming called ID which helps... Not ideal though. Separate ringtones would help tremendously.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 14,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I just want to be able to distinguish between the calls, so direct dial, group / queue calls, internal and mobile app ability to change the ring
(Edited)
Photo of Stylee

Stylee

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just want to change it to something different. I can give you a list of reasons why it should be changed. One reason is not any less valid than the other. The reason why is simple. People have been asking for this since the application was introduced. Not just a few people, but most people who use it. That alone should prompt a business to satisfy their clients by making a small insignificant change. I can’t get over the fact that the ap randomly chooses a ringtone and one persons can be different from the others. I had a coworker that had that aweful alarm tone while another had the violin symphony. Could you imagine having to answer the alarm tone? It made him jump up and rush to stop the god aweful noise every single time Ring Central would call! He joked about how people these days don’t react to hearing a cell phone ringing in public that’s not their tone, but with his tone everyone would always turn around to gawk at the person who has the submarine panic alarm as a ringtone! We would all laugh at his story while he slowly died a little inside every time a Ring Central call would come through. He doesn’t use the ap anymore. Poor guy.
Photo of RL

RL

• 62 Points
Ideally, it would suck the customized ringtone preferences out of my Address Book but, at a minimum, I'd like to select the ringtone for RingCentral on my desktop and iOS device(s) from my existing custom ringtones.
Photo of IANUCILLI

IANUCILLI

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled assigned ring type for extension for internal transfer.

I want to have a specific ring type for internal transfers.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 17,626 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2018-03-06 One of the earlier commenters on this thread assumed and suggested it would be just a matter of getting it (the alternate ring tones) into a firmware update - that was not correct. We are presently testing how this can be mass deployed (as we have thousands of users)

Use Case: for an Emergency Ring Tone (wav file) to a dedicated contact on each of our front office Ring Group model Polycom VVX500 deskphones.  Polycom has been involved in this process, and even their engineering team cannot fully get this implementation to work as we requested.  For now - we are going with what RingCentral is working on as a partial workaround for our requirement.   As I stated in this thread months ago, it is a complex programming issue on the backside.    Stay Tuned.
(Edited)
Photo of Patrick Horan

Patrick Horan

• 638 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I see how this would be complicated for desk phones.  But surely something could be implemented for mobile app?  Not even on a per contact, just change ring tone for all inbound calls received via RC Phone mobile app would be a huge improvement.  One which is a factory default on other soft phone mobile apps.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 17,626 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2018-03-06 I know our users would like this - it is one of our most requested features for mobile phone users.    Just something that would let  you identify if it is a RingCentral incoming call or   a cell carrier call (others with your actual direct line cell number)  Personally I hate having to look at my phone to see who is calling  when I am driving as it is illegal in California to be holding your mobile phone while driving.  Resisting buying one of those cell phone mounts but will probably have to just bite the bullet and do that.  
Photo of alfm

alfm

• 1,184 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Suggestion 1) The smartphone app should be able to use any MP3 / WAV file on each user's phone or use a standard file set by the portal.

The ability to select a custom ringtone on the smartphone app (standard functionality for the stock calling app on all smartphones) would allow you to differentiate between a desk phone call and a smartphone call.

Suggestion 2) The desk phones should allow a custom ringtone to be uploaded via the portal and then download as a standard to all desk phones in the company as a standard. At the moment even though our Cisco SPA514G phones are capable of this feature the Ring Central portal is not.

You can upload custom WAV / MP3 files to the portal for 'connecting audio' and 'on hold audio' and set each user account separately so doing this for the desk phone handset should be a simple re-use of existing portal code.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,518 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
#1 should be a no-brainer.  I say SHOULD be, but after a year......
#2 should be a semi-no-brainer since the capability to upload to the phone is already there, just have to have a place to put the file for upload.
No-Brainer is the operative word here.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Customize Ring Tones Based on Number, Line, Queue etc..

Clients often ask if they can get a distinctive ring tone when people call internally, or when people from the outside call a particular number, or when they are receiving a transferred call. Most of my clients are using the Cisco 504G phones. There is an option on those phones to select a different tone for Ext 1, 2, 3, or 4. However, I don't know how to get RingCentral to utilize calling that particular extension on those phones. My only thought is that I would have to setup a different RingCentral user for each extension, but I thought engineering might be able to utilize this part of the phones features to allow distinctive rings.

Please let me know if this is something on the roadmap or if there is a reason it isn't possible with RingCentral.
Photo of SCHAEFER

SCHAEFER

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Personalized ringtone for iphone/ios for mobile application.

Personalized ringtone for iphone/ios for mobile application.
Photo of Mike B

Mike B

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled different ring tones for transferred calls..

it would be great to be able to setup different ring tones for transferred call so you can tell the difference between an incoming cal and an in house transferred call. i cant be alone on this problem. Auto recycling facility located in south eastern Ma 40 yrs in business. 
Photo of DEININGER

DEININGER

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled a unique individual ring.

How about the ability to use a unique individual ring so we can determine when someone is calling us on our direct line or the main office line?
Photo of Joshua Henkel

Joshua Henkel

• 64 Points
Do we have an ETA on this as this is an important feature for our users?
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 45,276 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, Joshua. I have not received an ETA from our Product Team on this. When/if I hear anything, I will update this thread!
Photo of Kelly Adams

Kelly Adams

• 62 Points
Hello.  2018-05-29 - I would Reeeallly really like to be able to change the ringtone for my cell with the app.  Desktop is not really a bother, i don't have it on most days, but the app/cell phone does need a small tweek to let us do that.  Thanks. ! 
Photo of Office Line

Office Line

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled different ring tones.

We have three different businesses under one roof, we would like to have three different ring tones to help distinguish which business is being called to save us wasted time on getting to a phone to check the call.
Photo of Crimmins

Crimmins

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ringtone identifier.

Account type: USA brief description of the business: InsuranceA high level description of the product or feature being requested: Possibly to set different ringtones if the clients are calling the main number on the account or if they are calling the direct number of the extension
A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: We have multiple numbers on the account to where clients can call. We wanted to distinguish whether the clients are calling the main number or our direct number so that we will know on how we can address them
Benefit of such feature: We will be able to address are clients properly
Include any related case number if applicable: naNumber of Users and/or Digital Lines: 14 lines
Photo of Kevin Hart

Kevin Hart

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
According to the knowledge base article found here "The ring tone is the same as the iOS phone ringtone" using the ringcentral iOS app, however, it is using the default "Xylophone" even when my ringtone is set to "Beacon " so it is unclear if this is just a bug or actually a new feature request.
Photo of Kevin Hart

Kevin Hart

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled iOS has wrong ringtone.

According to the knowledge base article found here "The ring tone is the same as the iOS phone ringtone" using the ringcentral iOS app, however, it is using the default "Xylophone" even when my ringtone is set to Beacon . How do I fix this?
Photo of Rzone

Rzone

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add customization ring tone options to desk top and mobile app.

I hold a Canadian business RC account. I am the owner of an investment/insurance business. I do not find the current default ring tones for the mobile app professional and as such downloaded more suited ring tone and was surprised to learn I could not implement the ringtone. I would be largely more comfortable choosing a customized ring tone. 
Photo of Shane Black

Shane Black

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple ringtone options per call queue group.

Talkswitch had a function that was extremely useful where you could change the ringtone for each call group... this way the company can differentiate which department the caller is trying to reach when they call. Im surprised this feature isnt incorporated in ringcentrals functionality.
Photo of Yan Shaulov

Yan Shaulov

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Application Ringtone selection. Add feature please. Office tones just like Cisco ....

add feature to select ring tones like desk cisco phone. 
Photo of Johnsons Marketing

Johnsons Marketing

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Change the ringtone on the mobile app?.

is it possible to change the ringtone on the mobile app?
Photo of Mac Tennant

Mac Tennant

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Individual phone lines with different ringtones?.

Hello! I have an office with 5 Ringcentral Polycom VVX300  phones.  When the office number is dialed all of the phones in the office ring with the low trill ringtone.  Anyone is capable of answering the call or transferring it.  My question is, if the direct number of an individual phone is dialed (not the office number) can we make it have a different ringtone for this instance only? So, the phone will still ring with low trill if the office number is dialed, but with something different when  the direct line is dialed.
Photo of Kyle Gruber

Kyle Gruber

• 298 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Really would like this feature on the RC mobile app so I can differentiate between calls to my cell phone number and support calls for work.
Photo of Erik Bishop

Erik Bishop

• 72 Points
I have multiple clients asking for differentiating ring tones for internal (ext to ext) calls and outside calls. This would be a great add.
Photo of Lee Spears

Lee Spears

• 60 Points
Hearing when someone is ringing me personally vs the entire office in an open concept work space is dang near impossible.
Photo of Michael Berkeley

Michael Berkeley

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It looks like individuals can customize ringtones for the desktop app currently.  The ability to customize ringtones on the mobile app is a 'must'. 

Deskphone ringtones are more complicated because that is a function of the device being used.  Polycom allows users to change their ringtone within a limited set.