SMS: Allow all users (not just operator ext) to text messages (SMS) from the Main Number

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
earlier versions of desktop app have a drop down field that allows you to switch caller ID for text messages (SMS).  in verison 8.0.4 it is gone and test support said it has been removed.  THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDED IN.  Why was this removed?
Photo of Chris Zimmerman

Chris Zimmerman

• 2,684 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
  • mad and confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Todd Kaufman

Todd Kaufman

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Voted, but since this is SO obviously a need why do we have to vote and try and sell Ring Central into what is obviously helpful for their clients?...
Seems if take allot of push to be treated well around here...
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,612 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Todd,  Sorry for the frustration. I realize some requests seem to be pretty simple, however, regardless of how easy, or complex they are, they still require developer resources and go through a prioritization process.   Unfortunately we can't give any ETA on this one. 

Mike 
Photo of Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This one issue has me contemplating moving my company and their lines to another phone provider at the first of the year. It is hard to run a company when only one has access. 
Photo of Audio Obsessions

Audio Obsessions

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We really need this to be implemented in some format.  Provideing tech support to multiple clients, and managing new incoming text request on personal lines has to go.  I would love to be able to see all business related text threads, and respond as a group (support, sales, etc.), while being logged into my own extension...
Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

• 746 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's amazing that this thread was started 2 years ago and still no progress or even an ETA. Especially considering that this was a feature that was removed.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 14,512 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
just keep it at the top of the pile and we'll see what happens..
Photo of HALES

HALES

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Funny, back in 2009 Ring Central was cutting edge... this text thing is making Ring Central look like a dinosaur now.  Text is becoming everything to cutting edge businesses, sad to see RC cant seem to keep up anymore.  :(    Even the 24/7 Tech support on a Saturday is chat only and it all on 1 guy. 

Just ported a business cell phone in to a new ring central account and it is looking like a mistake as another post said it takes up to 14 days to get text working.... Am I the only business that is going though a crap storm with customers leaving us because we are ignoring them by not receiving their texts???  Top that with the fact that only the operator can respond....this provides less flexibility than a cellphone. At lease we could hand the cell phone to someone else if we are busy. 

The crazy thing is this was an option before and they took it away...

(Edited)
Photo of HALES

HALES

ok it only took 2 days to get it working so props to RC for speeding it up.  :)   Seems like there is hope. 
Photo of Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Wait what? They fixed this? I don't see the feature on my account. I will see if updating helps. However if it doesn't can you tell me what you did to get it enabled? Did you call them? Or just post here?
Photo of HALES

HALES

...  we in our situation the two computers (with soft phones) are logged in as the same user... the other are cell phone app users... App phones can pick the main number in our small operation, because we all log in under the same supper user account. 

Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

Recent rollout of features with no updates for SMS whatsoever. Increasing cost also of the new Mobile User charges,, still no new updates. Looks like RingCentral, who used to be cutting edge, is just turning into another outdated phone company that increases service fees while not adding any new features. 
Photo of Sima

Sima

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was told by RingCentral support to come and vote on the topic here.  LOL,  it doesn't look like it will make a difference soon...
Photo of Shirazi

Shirazi

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Option to choose main RingCentral number as outbound ID for SMS.

1. Account type:  U.S.
  2. Insurance company 
  3. I want my SMS recepients to see my main number - 7043695270 instead of my Digital Line
  4. This would allow my customers to call the main number which has its own call handling rules instead of calling my direct line
  5. Callers will be routed to the correct person
  6. 06240056
  7. 8 user extensions, 1 Digital Line
I was able to do it before. Not sure if updates to the app took that option away.
Photo of Dispatch .

Dispatch .

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I posted here like 2 years ago (as well as many other people) and still no progress. This text thing is out of my understanding. I believe lots of businesses are texting and if they have 10 lines they don't want to text from 10 different phone numbers which is the case with Ring Central. I found a solution. I put all users on operator extension which allow them to send text messages from main number. So now I have 10 users with 10 lines merged in operator extension. But I faced another problem. All my employees started having other problems with RC like delays in connecting phone calls, delays in receiving texts, some calls appear as missed although nobody saw them ringing. Tech support told me that's because we have too many users within the same extension. It should be just one user on one ext. So we'll be switching to another phone system. But for those of you who have just several users, my solution may work if sending text from main number is more important to you than your team members having separate extension.
Dispatch, please post back here if you find a better company for this.  I also have the same issue.  Thanks for your work around.  They need to just allow more soft phone users to log in at once.  I believe I am able to log into the same account on 3 computers.  If all you people have cell phones, there does not seem to me a limit on the cell phone app if 10 users are all logged into the same account.  

I run an insurance business and customers don't want 10 different contact numbers for my office and we all want to see the text coming in so the first available person can respond 
Photo of Jason Heller

Jason Heller

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think it is totally unacceptable that this isn't a feature with Ring Central!  The importance of multiple team members being able to field text messages to the main number is critical.  But - even more concerning to me is that this thread shows that CUSTOMERS have been asking for this for over 2 years and still it hasn't been addressed??  What a reprehensible customer service practice...
Photo of Jason Speciner

Jason Speciner

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Seriously... this is a must-have. We can't have one person only responsible for receiving and responding to SMS. Please implement this ASAP! Thank you.
Photo of Jennifer Saxton

Jennifer Saxton

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please add this feature!
Photo of MARTIN

MARTIN

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Please add this feature
Photo of Pharmacy 1

Pharmacy 1

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This feature needs to be added ASAP. I was actually led to believe this was already possible when I signed up. I feel deceived.
Photo of David Bordwine

David Bordwine

• 62 Points
This may be a dealbreaker for me.. I don't want to text my clients with my personal Ph#. I have 7days left on my free trial period, c'mon RC, get it done! 
Photo of Glenn Hay-Roe

Glenn Hay-Roe

• 658 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If you're waiting for Ring Central to get this done within your trial period, you might as well move on, unfortunately.
I know that because I've been waiting over a year, and threads related to SMS auto-response have been under discussion here for over 2 years.
Our Account Manager really wants to be helpful, but can't tell me why they won't add this feature, one that seems to be requested by so many customers.
They can only say that they haven't received enough requests to implement it yet (how many will it take??)
Best of luck!
-Glenn
Photo of Michael McLeod

Michael McLeod

• 62 Points
I would also like this feature. Like others have said, it's crazy it was requested over 2 years ago and still no feedback if it's even possible.
Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

So maybe with the new calling feature within Glip, this is maybe opening the door to making a more contact center approach to text messages to the main number. I can definitely see how this could easily fit into the new interface. I guess we just have to keep hoping somebody at ring central see's this thread and understands how much more powerfully we can use the system with this in place.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you take a look at how Fixyourfunnel manages texting among users, it's clear to see there's a better way than what RingCentral provides. FYF allows you to take over a text thread/reassign a text thread. I opted not to use FYF because I don't want to add another system, but it would be a huge add for RC to enable text thread management.
(Edited)
Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

Yeah the technology is absolutely out there and not even that complex. Also looked at Twillo but also want to try to keep everything together.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

I want not only this feature, but also the ability to transfer text threads like you can transfer phone calls. Also, when a user is unavailable allow them to set a forwarding text address.
Photo of HAY-ROE

HAY-ROE

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Best of luck!
We've been asking for a simple auto-reply to text messages for over a year, and that feature still has not been implemented.
We finally decided to move to another provider....
Frankly, I don't know if your "forward a text thread to another person" feature has EVER been implemented, if it has, I'm not aware of it (but I'm not an expert by any means).
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Look at Fixyourfunnel. They do it. Anyone can take over a text thread.
Photo of HAY-ROE

HAY-ROE

As I said, I'm no expert.
FixYourFunnel looks like it might be helpful in some environments, but we are not using InfusionSoft, and were looking for a solution providing simpler features than you need, and native to the phone/SMS/MMS platform.
For our business needs, the solution at Simplii.net seems to fill our needs very well.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Fixyourfunnel is a VOIP system in and of itself. But it also borrows capabilities from Infusionsoft for automating text messaging.
Photo of HAY-ROE

HAY-ROE

Thank you for your ongoing clarification, that's helpful.
Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

Just discovered Textline through a facebook ad. They have exactly what I have been hoping RingCentral would roll out for SMS through the new version of flip. Theres so much potential to make the SMS capability so powerful rather than just the equivalent of having a cell phone everyone has to share.
Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

Specifically I really like the feature of assigning a text thread to a certain agent. I would settle for just having all extensions able to access the main number but textline has a really nice set of features that RingCentral could easily model (steal)
Photo of Ben Olsen

Ben Olsen

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Frustrating that the support agent didn't know that this has been a wanted feature for 3 years.
Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

Photo of Jon Carissimo

Jon Carissimo

Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

A crappy little workaround is to use glip online on the operator's account. You're not prevented from logging into the operator's account on a browser. It's not transferring the text thread, but at least if an operator is out you can have another user monitoring the account. We automate texts all the time so being able to quickly reply is very important to our business. Transferring a thread would be awesome, but I'm not sure it'll happen any time soon.
(Edited)