Deskphone: Add support for Polycom VVX600

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Add support for presence monitoring on the Polycom VVX600. What is the big difference between it and the VVX500? Seems like the product has been out long enough to support it. The additional lines would be quite useful.
Photo of cody

cody

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Cody, the ONLY difference between the vvx 500 and the vvx 600 is a larger color screen and Blue tooth support.  Everything else is the same.

So what do you mean by extra lines?

Chuck
Certified RC Installer
Photo of cody

cody

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The VVX 600 has a larger screen that you can put 16 presence lines on compared to the 12 of a VVX 500
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I missed the 16 instead of the 12.

sorry about that.  

I could see how that could be helpfull but side cars work also

Thanks

Chuck
Photo of Andy Thompson

Andy Thompson, Sales Engineer (SE)

• 706 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Cody,

For the time being, you can configure the the device as a VVX 500 in the web interface and provision the the provisiong server address in the phone as pp.ringcentral.com/provisioning/polycom_v4/VVX500/MACADDRESS.  This will allow you to program presence keys, intercom, page, etc.
Photo of Ben

Ben

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This has stopped working since the latest round of updates for the VVX500, has the url changed?
Photo of aeT2haGai0sh

aeT2haGai0sh

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd love to hear an answer to Ben's question as well. I opened a ticket yesterday after all our 600s that had been configured this way stopped working entirely.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The VVX600's are 3rd party phones.  But many polycom passwords where changed for security reasons.  Please go into Phones & Devices > Extension > Setup & Provision > Other and see if the password was updated. Start there! 

Photo of Vandy9

Vandy9

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have asked for provisioning of the VVX600 back in March 2014. This phone has been out now for quite some time and offers several additional benefits. I have three of these phones and haven't been able to use them. I ask once again PLEASE setup and enable proper provisioning of these phones for use of all features. Other VOIP competitors have offered this model for well over a year now. I like RC but there always seems to be quite a lag in keeping up with the current hardware technology and advancements. I know of several other execs that use the RC service which would like the VVX600 phone but have also been unable to do so.
Photo of Andy Thompson

Hi Vandy,

Please see my above comment for reference.  We will build in VVX 600 template functionality in the near future, but for the time being you will be able to get them to work using the VVX 500 profile.
Photo of Vandy9

Vandy9

Andy, would you please enlighten all of all as to Mike's response from just a day ago stating the VVX 600 is NOT on the roadmap not only to be supported this year but not next year either?! I don't know about everyone else but this certainly isn't "near future" to me!! If this isn't being done very soon I will be leaving Ring Central. Please confirm. Thank you
(Edited)
Photo of A J

A J

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Andy

Is it possible to register the VVX 600 as a VVX 500 phone in RC and use it as such? That way at the least we can use the features of VVX 500 (presence etc) till other 600 features are enabled
Photo of Andy Thompson

Hi AJ,

Yes. That is what is mentioned above. We have done this successfully many times.
Photo of Ben

Ben

This has worked up until the latest round of updates for the VVX 500, any ideas?
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have a couple of the Polycom VVX 600 phones at my business provisioned by RingCentral.  However, I would like to know how to transfer calls more efficiently.  We have two lines that ring at both phones.  When A call comes in now I have to hit "TRANSFER" and then enter the complete other phone number I,e, (916) 222-2222 and then wait about 20 seconds for that phone to ring.  The phone I am transferring to is in the office next to me so can't I just enter an extension number or something simpler?  Also.... how does one enable/use/get an "INTERCOM" feature on these VVS 600 Phones?  Please do not tell me these phones are unsupported because I have read through countless posting here where the RingCentral people state the VVX 600 is configured/provisioned exactly like the VVX 500.  The only difference is 16 lines and a bigger screen.  Help??
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

They can use ## <ext> # to transfer.

No intercom button for the VVX600.  Only devices that RingCentral we can push an xml to will have our specific softkeys like intercom.  Since the VVX600 is only manually provisioned, it’s not possible.  

With that all being said, there maybe is a key combo for intercom that you can lookup through polycom directly. 

(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Kim - thank you for your response here.  I have read your forums and I have an answer below from a RingCentral Configurator.  Basically, and please correct me if I am totally wrong, I think he is stating here that you can configure the VVX 600 exactly as the VVX 500.  Here is his statement:

" For the time being, you can configure the device as a VVX 500 in the web interface and provision the provisioning server address in the phone as:

pp.ringcentral.com/provisioning/polycom_v4/VVX500/MACADDRESS.

This will allow you to program presence keys, intercom, page, etc."

Now Kim... if this is correct, wouldn't this allow you to configure the VVX 600 just like the VVX 500 and then be able to push the "XML" code out to the phone so that we have Intercom buttons, and full RingCentral support, etc.?

(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Currently this is not possible.
(Edited)
Photo of A J

A J

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This morning our Polycom VVX600 (which was so far configured as VVX500) has stopped working. It is unable to register and shows config failed.

Today our entire business was shut down since the phone lines were down

Thank you RingCentral !
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi A J ,

Please keep in mind, that the VVX 600 is not a supported phone, but we've tried to help many of you regardless.  Until this is an officially supported phone there will be limited functionality and we can not make any sort of promise things will work.  For now, the best solutions is to go back and do the "manual provisioning" using the "other" option as shown on this page: Manual Provisioning
(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Mike,

Please help us - help you.  Explain to us just what has to happen to get the VVX 600 to be a Supported phone with RingCentral?  I've just gotten off the phone with tech support over at Polycom and they are baffled as to why RingCentral cannot provision this phone, since according to Polycom the internal code of the 600 is the same as the VVX 500, which you do support?

Is it a license thing where "RC" has to pay to get the code to make this an assisted and supported phone?  If you provision the VVX 600 will you then lose sales on the VVX 500 because it is lesser grade model in comparision?  What are the stumbling blocks here Mike that is causing "RC" not to be able to support this?  Someone has this answer inside RingCentral. 
Photo of Boris

Boris

• 70 Points
I would like to see a response to this.
Photo of Vandy9

Vandy9

RingCentral has said they are in the process of configuring the VVX600 and fully supporting it with full feature provisioning if you also refer to the other posts however who knows when this will happen! I first asked them for this back in March 2014 and I know many other have desired it but they haven't responded in any kind of timely fashion as this is a mainstream phone and many execs have it and desire it since it offers 16 line capability and is also bluetooth. Unfortunately as good as RingCentral is in general they very much lack the ability or desire to stay current with hardware offering the features many customers desire and have come to expect that many other competitors support. It is most likely at this point the VVX600 will become an outdated and discontinued model before RC gets around to fully provisioning and supporting this phone.
(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

It is truly a sad and sobering experience that RingCentral is failing to keep abreast of newer technology and better equipment.  The best Polycom phone they carry is the VXX 500 (with the exception of the 1500) which is now 5 yrs old and the VXX 600 is 2-1/2 years old.  Vandy9 above brings this point home above on why this Exec. phone is well liked.  It also has a bigger and brighter resolution screen than the VXX 500!  What disappoints me more is that for $600 I can purchase (2) of the older VXX 500 phones from RingCentral or for $100 a month I can switch providers and go with either Nextiva or 8X8, Inc. who DO SUPPORT the Polycom VXX 600 phones with all the Full features these phones bring to the market.  That's $11 more than I pay RingCentral and I have two VXX 600 phones, but only half the features work through your network.  However, I like you guys and you've been really great in all the other areas.  But you're making it really, really difficult to want to stay with a company that simply cannot keep up with better phones!!  Come on guys - Get With It!!!!!  Why can the other guys do it and you can't?
Photo of Khalique Rehman

Khalique Rehman

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree with McKool.  I have 15  Premium lines with RC out those 4 are working on VVX600 phones with half the functionality. I am considering to discontinue my service with RC once I finish my one year contract and switch to a company which continuously update their services to latest technology and Equipments.
Photo of Andy Thompson

I should also suggest that, when migrating any VVX series phone to RingCentral, you should upgrade or downgrade to the supported firmware (UCS 4.1.8.0628).
(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Andy,

Regarding checking one's Firmware Version, I entered my vvx600's IP address in the browser address bar, hit enter, and went to Polycom's Web Configuration Utility window.  Here it asks for your Password either as an "ADMIN" or a "USER".  The normal passwords are (456, 72227, or <blank>) but none of these worked for me, either under Admin or User.  So I called RingCentral Tech support and spoke with them about my account, thinking that during provisioning the password was changed.  RingCentral has no information about my password and gave me Polycom's Tech Support phone.  I called Polycom and after drilling down thru the phone chain I reached a very knowledgeable tech named "Mike".  He stated that during provisioning many times the password is changed and the "RC" should have it.  There is a "RESET" feature for your Password on the Polycom Web Config Utility Screen and Mike warned me .. DO NOT RESET my Password!!  Doing so will WIPE OUT all the programming for the phone and you will have to completely re-do all the provisioning steps.

So Andy..... what does one do to check what Firmware version they are using and how do we get passed this Password problem? 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

This is a 3rd party device, therefore RingCentral does not have the password to get into the ADMIN portal of the Polycom of someone else phone.  We only have the passwords to our own phones that we sell. 

The password listed above that I mentioned yesterday is the Provisioning password for that specific phone that will be entered only once you are already inside the IP Address. Provisioning the phones to RingCentral does change change the admin password to Polycom. 
(Edited)
Photo of Vandy9

Vandy9

RingCentral may we all PLEASE get a very forward answer as to WHEN you will be fully supporting and provisioning the VVX600? I, like others need to make a decision on whether I am staying with RingCentral or not moving forward in the very near future. I cannot keep waiting (since March 2014 which is inexcusable) much longer and RingCentral really needs to be taking a hard look at what they're doing with current hardware offerings, support and provisioning.

Thank you.
Photo of Vandy9

Vandy9

Andy, would you please enlighten all of all as to Mike's response within the last week stating the VVX 600 is NOT on the roadmap not only to be supported this year but not next year either?! I don't know about everyone else but this certainly isn't "near future" to me as you told us it was going to be!! If this isn't being done very soon I will be leaving Ring Central. Please confirm. Thank you
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Mike & Andy,

Your response about NOT provisioning the VVX 600 begs the next question.  Why Not?  Who makes the decisions as to why this phone would NOT be provisioned?  It's not like its a new phone, it's already 2-1/2 years old.  Your competition at 8x8, inc. and Nextiva both support it and I would assume that if I checked even further we would find more of your competition supporting this phone.  I too may be leaving RingCentral for this very reason as Vandy9 because of the lack of support for this phone.  When I spoke with "Mike" a tech at Polycom he stated they would be happy to work with RingCentral to provision this phone.  So why the lack of interest on RingCentral's part to get this done?  I know that RingCentral recently pushed into the Asian Markets with their brand in Singapore, but why not a little more technology push to go along with seeking other markets?
Photo of Andy Thompson

Hi @B. McKool,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response as I had been out of office/moving and in flux for the past few weeks.  I absolutely understand your frustration and want to assure you that your request has not fallen on deaf ears.  RingCentral has prioritized your request of adding assisted provisioning support for the Polycom VVX 600 devices.  As a matter of fact, it is now a candidate for a future release.

First and foremost, our objective is to ensure the success and support your business.  RingCentral's success relies on the success of your business and every other customer/partner that we provide services to.  Please let us know if there is anything that RingCentral can do to help either of your companies at this point and whether or not temporary provisioning as 3rd party devices (no intercom, paging, presence) would help either of you for the time being.
(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Andy,

This does sound that the VVX 600 is moving closer to being provisioned and fully supported.  But please tell me what being a "Candidate" consists of?  By the very nature of the term it doesn't make it sound like it is a "sure thing" so who can I talk to and give my assistance to helping this happen?  My contract is up in November and we are not going to re-new under the annual plan that we have had with RingCentral.  Instead, we will go "Month-to-Month" to see if the VVX 600 support comes about.  If not, I have already talked with 8X8,Inc., where I can get their Virtual Office Pro plan that carries HD Voice, Call Recording and Web Conferencing with Video and full support for the VVX600 phone for just a little less than what my RingCentral account cost me now.  It's not like I really WANT to leave, but I want a company that stays on top of Technology like their competition does.  I feel that's fair Andy.  I'm not asking RingCentral to do anything more than what your competition is already doing.  And by the way.... 8X8, Inc. has had the VVX 600 phone fully supported since October 2014!
Photo of Ben

Ben

Has everyone forgotten about this post ?? We are still waiting for vvx600 support!!!
Photo of Boris

Boris

• 70 Points
If Polycom is stating that the 600 is the same phone as the 500 with added lines and BT, what is the problem? Customers are asking for it. It seems that it would probably take less time and effort to support the phone than field calls and tickets to make it work manually (my setup took a rep over an hour). And, most importantly, it adds to the list of issues that we have with RC. Outages have been our biggest issue over the years and this annoyance just adds fuel.

It seems that either RC has a monetary incentive to not support the 600 or they are tone deaf to market wants, or both. Its a standard phone with little support cost over existing models. Just do it already and stop giving your customers these BS responses.
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Supposedly, and I say this with some trepidation, this phone is a "Candidate" for provisioning in March 2016.  But I still want to know just what the term "Candidate" means to RingCentral?  Does it mean "merely under consideration, or has to be voted on".  So how lucky is it that it will be chosen?  If this phone is not fully provisioned there are many of us, myself included, that are leaving RingCentral and going over to 8X8, Inc. where they do fully support this phone and listen to their customers.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Official Response
On the new release (8.0) the Polycom VVX 600 is now supported.  :-)  The 8.0 release will be pushed out to the customer base in waves and can take several weeks. 

The device would have been added as an "existing phone" under the user's extension.  In the Admin Portal under Phones & Devices, it will now show up as "other phone".
Select the extension and to the right select Setup and Provision > Polycom VVX 600 > then enter the MAC/Serial Number, which starts with 0004F.....

Once the phone is added it will need to be rebooted to re-register with our system. 

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Kim,

Thank you for the "GOOD NEWS" about the VVX600!  As customers with VVX600 phones how will we know when the update is available in our region, or area, so that we do not attempt to make the upgrade formatting change to early and pose a problem with connectivity?  How will RingCentral notify customers that they can re-program their phones with this new support?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

McKool:  The easiest way to see if your account is already on 8.0 (to see if you have the option available), in the Admin Portal go to > Phones & Devices > ext > Setup and Provision and see if "Polycom VVX600" is available in the drop down. :-)

Let me know. 
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Thanks Kim!  Yes, the VVX600 Phone is listed in my "Phone Details" then "Set Up and Provision".  HALLELUJAH!  it finally happened!  I'm Dancing!!
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Updating went smoothly and the phone was updated to the latest Firmware in addition to extracting new RingCentral applications into the phone.  I have one odd thing that happened and I will submit a service ticket for this, but where my name is listing on the main screen with a green check mark over a phone icon... I now have four names "Bruce" going down the left side of my phone.  I don't think that would be normal... Do you?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Probably a configuration issue.  I did not see a case number on your account. Can you reply with the case number and we'll take a look. 
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Thanks Mike!!

Case # 04411280
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

McKool, login to the IP Address got to Settings > Lines > Number of Line Keys set to 2.

(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

One thing to mention that the VVX600 update does not do for you.  You have to go into "Admin Portal" > "Users" (Under the top Tabs) > then "Phones & Numbers > Then in the middle of the page is "PRESENCE" and "INTERCOM" that have to be enabled if you want all the features of this phone.  You have to go into "PERMISSIONS" and move your lines you want these features for over to the right, but I will not get into this any further here as it might be best if they consult Tech Support for this.
Photo of MATT CHAU

MATT CHAU

• 60 Points
Hi Kim, i can see VVX 600 in my portal but i tried to auto-configure.  it doesnt work.  how do i know if i am in the release 8.0?  let me know.  thanks, matt
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Matt, are you still needing help?   I pulled up your account and see a VVX600 that registered  with our servers today.  Or, can you verify the serial number so we are sure we are looking at the right account/phone.   Also, you are on 8.0. 

Mike