Deskphone: Adding Favorites to Lines View Polycom VVX410

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Adding Favorites to Lines ViewI received my RingCentral phone in November when I joined my company. I had called and gotten walked through how to go about setting up external numbers as FAVORITES and how to display these numbers on my "LINES VIEW" that I call on a frequent basis (ie a speed dial). I recently went to remove a company extension that is not in use anymore and my phone rebooted as normal but when the hone turned back on all of my favorites on my "LINES VIEW" were gone. I called customer support and they said that "RINGCENTRAL" does not support that feature anymore & that it is a Polycom Feature that has been removed to allow more space for company extension to be displayed there.I and a few other of my team members are extremely frustrated by this as we do not nearly use the phone system to talk between ourselves as we use the phones to call clients and support hotlines esp. the service department. WE WOULD LIKE INQUIRE HOW THIS FEATURE CAN BE BROUGHT BACK TO THE RINGCENTRAL VVX 410! ESP AS IT IS A POLYCOM PHONE FEATURE & LAST I CHECKED IT SAID ON THE PHONE "POLYCOM POWERED". RING CENTRAL SHOULD NOT BE/HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE A "POLYCOM POWERED" PHONE FEATURE(S), MAYBE A COMPANY BOUGHT THIS PHONE BECAUSE OF A PARTICULAR FEATURE THAT WAS LIKED, AND NOW YOU SAY YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISABLE IT, AND BECOME NOT USER FRIENDLY!!I have attached an image of the user manual stating this feature can be done and you publish the Polycom VVX 410 manual on your website.
Photo of Joe DeSomma

Joe DeSomma

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frusterated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,568 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Joe,  Thank you for your post and expressing your concern.  I realize it's frustrating when there's a features are changed or removed and our Product Team will review this and all the other "idea" (and complaint) topics, in an effort to best serve the entire customer base. 
Photo of KS

KS

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Guys, seriously, why was this disabled?  Alot of people use this.
Photo of Barry

Barry

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is VERY frustrating!!!  I used the favourites in the line menu ALL THE TIME.  Why would you take such a simple but useful feature away?  Why not give us the option to either use it or not?  I don't have 11 phone lines in my business and never will.  If I had known this feature would be removed I would have never bought these phones!  PLEASE BRING THIS FEATURE BACK!
Photo of Barry

Barry

I tried calling Polycom's tech support regarding this.  It seems us lowly users do not have access to technical support directly from Polycom and Polycom directs us to contact our reseller, in this case Ring Central. 

Ring Central, please tell us how to bring back this feature that Polycom offers its customers on this model of phone.

Photo of KS

KS

It's not a Polycom issue.  RingCentral has decided to change their provisioning files to make more useable line layouts and have completely messed up.

They are setting up the config something like this:
<lineKey lineKey.reassignment.enabled="1" lineKey.1.index="1" lineKey.1.enable="1" lineKey.1.category="Line" lineKey.2.enable="1" lineKey.2.category="Line" lineKey.2.index="1" up.numOfDisplayColumns="3" lineKey.3.enable="1" lineKey.3.category="BLF" lineKey.12.enable="1" lineKey.12.category="BLF"></lineKey>
Which is riddled with bugs and breaks the usage of local speed dials.

There is a solution I've managed to reverse engineer.  If you go to your RingCentral web admin interface, choose users, choose the user you are trying to fix, choose Phones & Numbers, choose Presence, then delete all of the appearance mappings.

What their system does now (after you make that change), is that it no longer generates the line key overrides.

If you want to be able to see other people's lines (BLF), that is now automatically handled when you "permission" someone to see your line.  If you get stuck, let me know, I imagine this should be enough to get you sorted.

P.S. - Thanks RingCentral for no changelog, no notice and the worst tech support I've ever seen in my entire life.  You could be a top-tier company if you focused more on engineering and technical support and less on marketing.
Photo of Bob Fairbairn

Bob Fairbairn

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It appears to be broken differently for me.  Your work around did not seem to work.  Really seems like something that should have been fixed already.  I cannot delete the two appearance mappings that show on the portal.  All of my keys show my only number.  

Badly broken for users......
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Bob,  are you referring to the #1 and #2 spots like in the image below? If so that is normal. This is by default and you can not change this.  If you are having problems let us know. I located an account with your name but it only showed one user on the account. Can you tell us what you are doing or where you are stuck? Or is there a different account you are working on? 

User-added image
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Fairbairn

Bob Fairbairn

I thought??? That I could setup the Polycom phone so that the keys along the left and right of the display were either lines or speed dials.  I might be wrong.  So what I "want" is to set the keys up to say call my wife or my house.  I have 5 or 6 that I would like speed dials setup.  

Yes the only account I have so far is my Partner account.  And I am very new at this and learning.

RJF
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Bob,   There's an issue with this right now but it's been sent to our engineering department. Sorry but I don't have an ETA before they get it fixed. 
Photo of Mary Ann

Mary Ann

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey, KS.  Totally agree with everything you said.  I did what you suggested above and it brought back my speed dials!  But, don't see the other people's lines like you mentioned, even though the permissions are set with them.  VVX500's.  Any suggestions?
Photo of KS

KS

I wish I had more, it only seems to work properly for the primary line on the account.  I don't know what else to tell you, RingCentral is out to lunch again and not replying on this issue.
Photo of KS

KS

Btw, if you have alot of phones, you can certainly create your own provisioning server and do whatever you like, but at some point it begins to negate the whole point of using RingCentral.  If you are highly technical, or have someone at your disposal that is, I can explain the process.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry for the frustration this has caused. I'm looking into this to see if anything can be changed or if there's some sort of resolution. 

Mike 
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We're currently evaluating RC to be our new phone provider. I have spent several days trying to figure out why my speed dials/favorites are no longer on my phones. Bring this feature back or you are no longer on the table as a viable phone provider for my company. That's how serious this is to us.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,516 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Christian, I have 2 questions for you, first, what phone are you using? Polycom or Cisco?

Second if you are using presence features, which most people do, you loose the ability to program the buttons directly on the phone.

What I do for people that need speed dials, is just create extensions and assign them through the system, this way you could assign to a button or just dial an extension to make that call.

It works out well,  We have requested that RC create a speed dial extension or some other way but for now this works.

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
chuckfuscone@gmail.com
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

We need both. I need internal presence/speed dials and I need off-net favorites/speed dials. 

Edits:
Polycom VVX400 and 410. We're coming from a Cisco CallManager deployment so any features we have or don't will be compared to that.
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Explain off net?  

with my option both will work because everything is controlled via the RC portal.  Nothing is directly entered on the phone so it will work as I have this config in several customers

It is the only way at this time

Thanks

Chuck
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

Off-net: dialing outside of our extensions.

Many of our users need to be able to monitor and answer multiple lines (up to 20) and also add their own favorites that they can speed dial outside of the company. These numbers will be unique to the user and will not be company wide.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Speed dials to outside numbers is not an issue I am doing that today.  Just the way you setup the extension..  Adding your own would be a challange because an extension needs to be setup and you need to be an admin to create extensions

When using presence you only could get up to 2 calls at a time.  I am sure I could not address everything because I do not know your needs and how your system is setup but in addressing having presence and the ability to have speed dials setup it is possible.  Not the way you want it but possible.

Chuck
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

Speed dials to outside extensions that are controlled by end users are possible?
Photo of Joe DeSomma

Joe DeSomma

I am the admin for my company, we hve no more extensions to give out. You had the same thing happen to me Christian which is why I created this. Any one has any suggestions im willing to try but I hve not been able to find a way via using presence.
Photo of KS

KS

The ball is in RingCentral's court to do one of two things:
1. Fix the new layout engine for the provisioning profile generator to allow locally defined speed dials to appear.  (It's a matter of disabling one flag that they put on recently)
2. Implement the proper SpeedDial provisioning profile support so users can add SpeedDials via the user web portal and/or mobile app.

All this talk about using administrator managed Extensions is absurd.  Speed Dials are a simple feature that any phone system should support.
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

Agreed, it's bad enough I can't get my company directory on my phone, and now this???
Photo of KS

KS

Please don't get me started about missing company directories.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Just letting you all know that our engineers are working on fixing this.  I don't have an ETA yet but I thought you all would want to know it's being worked on. 
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

Thank you.
Photo of Bob Fairbairn

Bob Fairbairn

Mike can you let me know when it will be or has been fixed.  I cannot demonstrate this to my customers and it is terrible for my personal usability.    
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry no ETA yet, but I'll update this when I have more information and/or can confirm that it's fixed. 
Photo of Bob Fairbairn

Bob Fairbairn

Thanks.  How will we know when it is fixed.  IS there some sort of mail list or something?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

We'll update this thread as soon as we have more information. 
Photo of Betsy Horvath

Betsy Horvath

• 78 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Has there been any progress on the fix for the speed dial / soft keys yet.  This is VERY frustrating
Photo of Konsulati, Inc.

Konsulati, Inc.

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After updating my phone -- big mistake -- I lost those wonderful features.  Now I am forced to have a "speed dial" option, which plods along a path and then have to scroll down...

UGH!
Photo of Betsy Horvath

Betsy Horvath

• 78 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same here!  We are at the point that we are considering our alternatives.  Speed dial is a basic (and necessary) function that has been around for over 15 yrs, taking it away was a HUGE mistake in my opinion.  Three weeks with no updates is not exactly the best customer service method in my opinion.  At a minimum there should be some notification on the website when you sign in that gives us an update on the progress or lack thereof.  
Photo of Dan Van Wie

Dan Van Wie

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Polycom vvx 500 favorites were appearing on home screen did reboot now they still....

Polycom vvx 500 favorites were appearing on home screen, did reboot now they still exist but do not show on home screen anymore any thoughts?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Dan,  I moved your post to this thread as it's part of the same issue.  Our engineers are aware of this but I don't have any ETA yet. 
Photo of Dan Van Wie

Dan Van Wie

• 66 Points
Thank you Mike, how will I know when the issue is resolved?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

We'll update this thread to notify everyone. 
Photo of Thomas Seabrooke

Thomas Seabrooke

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just wanted to add our frustration to the list.  Never regretted implementing an update more.  Please restore this feature ASAP.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

For anyone who has not clicked the "like" button at the top of this page, please do so to show your urgency/support for this. 
Photo of Christian Moses

Christian Moses

We are currently in the evaluation phase of determining our next phone solution. We are moving from a dedicated SIP trunk/line and Cisco CallManager. We had all but decided to move our whole company to RingCentral, we'd even begun porting numbers. THIS ISSUE has caused us to determine that not only is RingCentral not an acceptable provider, but we no longer feel comfortable with a hosted VoIP solution. The idea that a provider would simply remove a key feature like this is totally unacceptable to the business user. I'm so thankful that we were in a test deployment and had not fully committed when you guys did this. As CTO, our users would be circling my office with pitchforks by now.
Photo of Joe DeSomma

Joe DeSomma

Mike, Since I started this I would assume my take is of the urgent matter, and the fact that the page will not let me like my own post..
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

It automatically adds a "like" for the original poster. 
Photo of Barry

Barry

Two months now and no resolution in sight to this issue?

Photo of Tony Pires

Tony Pires

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Made the mistake of restarting my phone. Uhg. Now I hope my CEO doesn't restart his phone as he has 12 speed dials on his VVX-500 and would kill me if they went away.
Photo of Bob Fairbairn

Bob Fairbairn

The release notes for the June software update does not appear to talk about this defect.....  bummer.  I have to hook up my phone and test again to see.
Photo of Sonia Singh

Sonia Singh, Official Rep

• 1,080 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
A fix will be rolling out on top of the June update that's why it wasn't mentioned in the release notes.  As soon as it's fully rolled out, we'll update this thread.

Regards,
Sonia Singh. 
Photo of Todd

Todd

Has anyone rebooted their Polycom VVX410 recently?

After reading the latest comment here, I tried it and was happily surprised. :-)
Photo of Barry

Barry

Still can't add the favourites on my phone.

Photo of Todd

Todd

Perhaps it's a rolling update. Keep trying ...
Photo of Barry

Barry

The favourites are now back on my phone!
Photo of Sonia Singh

Sonia Singh, Official Rep

• 1,080 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Folks:  as some of you have already observed, the fix is fully rolled out.  You can add favorites and will be retained after a reboot.

--Sonia Singh
(Edited)