Admin see the associated IP address for a Polycom VVX500 RingCentral phone

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
Is  there a way for an Admin to view the associated IP address for any given phone on our RingCentral portal?  Via logs or otherwise?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 16,958 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner

Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner, Champion

• 31,796 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There's no way, via the admin portal, that I am aware of. Each phone itself should have that information in the "Network" portion of the settings. I understand that you don't want to have to look at each phone to find this information but you should be able to get that information from your router.

I have an ASUS RT-AC66R and it gives me all that information and even allows me to export it. Depending on whether you use static IP addresses or DHCP, they shouldn't change often. I use DHCP and my desk phone's IP address has been the same for close to three years now.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

We have over 2000 phones and 28 different subnets, in 28 different locations. Going to check each phone via the Status on the handset is not an option.  The router can give correlations but this does not really help us map it out for monitoring by physical locale, which is our goal. Thanks for your comment. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

In order to monitor the phone network, since RingCentral does not presently provide any tool beyond installing the HUD on 28 different machines to accomplish this, we cannot see at a glance - the state of the phone network beyond seeing that "x" number of phones have recently picked up a DHCP address on their isolated v-lan.  Our school district has 28 discrete sites at present but are expanding rapidly in the next year to several thousand more phones, each with their own segregated v-lan. We are working toward monitoring the whole phone network using IPSwitch WhatUpGold - so when there are outages in subsets of a vlan or an entire vlan - we know about it in our Network Operations Center (NOC) before anyone else knows and can proactively manage the problem from a position of strength=detailed-knowledge.   This is a standard in Enterprise Computing environments and Emergency Management protocols.
(Edited)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

06-15-2017 Any progress on this request?
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Cecile,

We haven't heard anything in particular but we'll do some research and see if we can get an update on this :)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Thanks   this will improve our customer satisfaction for leadtimes on getting service to their phone if it malfunctions.  Otherwise there is always a delay of 24 hours as they have to courier the phone over to our central IT Services location.
Photo of Dave Hart

Dave Hart

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update, Saadet. This will help our team a lot. Hopefully this gets implemented soon.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi folks... I just want to share an update on this request.  If you'd like to see this as a feature please continue to vote and comment as it's currently not possible. 

Per our Tier 3 engineer

We do not track the internal IP address that their DHCP server assigns the phones.

They would be better off exporting the DHCP assignments from their DHCP server. It would have the internal IP as well as the MAC address which is the serial number of the phone.

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

06-26-2017 Thank you for the update Mike, this is important to us -   please other users who need this info available  VOTE!
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

06-26-2017 Further technical info - since the DHCP address assignment changes whenever the lease time expires OR the phone re-assigns because it lost touch with the RingCentral provisioning server at a phone reboot. The request was to get a live-read on what IP Address assignment would be in the phone at the time of request from an Administrator.  My goal is to generally have the info available to Phone Administration team without always have to request a data dump from our Organization's Network Team as they are in short supply and sometimes we have to wait a long time for that info - as they are over busy and this is a low priority request internally. 
Photo of Network Kim

Network Kim

• 60 Points
Wait a sec.  IF you're using Cisco networking equipment, isn't there a way to use sticky mac address assignments with DHCP?  So that the computer (or phone) reboots, it requests a particular ip address from the DHCP server?  
I don't know if that will help at all, but that's what came to mind.