Admin: Will calls get forwarded automatically in the event of an outage?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
If our internet goes down and our phones don't work, will the cell phones associated with their user account automatically take calls? Does it matter how many rings are set or does it start the forwarding automatically?
Photo of Susanna James

Susanna James

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Susanna, the system does not work that way. What you need to do is setup an emergency extension with the cell phone numbers associated for a Outage.

Then with just a few clicks the main number could be forwarded to that extension in the case of an outage. I setup all my customers this way as the Internet does go down from time to time.

Hope this make sense

Let us know

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Christina Pressley

Christina Pressley

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
WE CANNOT DO THAT BECAUSE WE CANNOT LOG ONTO OUR WEB PORTAL
Photo of 55

• 70 Points
how in the hell are we to KNOW when the service goes down??? we can't be testing it every min of the day
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello  55

We realize these things are very frustrating and we are constantly working on better solutions. As Chuck mentioned above, there will always be occasions where the internet goes down. As I'm sure you know, the internet is a rather complex web of computers and routers. Internet traffic can take a variety of routes and when such outages occur, it's often unknown from our end specific users that are affected. 

We recommend bookmarking (on your computer and cell phone)  the following two pages: 

https://success.ringcentral.com/  This is where official notices are posted. 

https://community.ringcentral.com  This Community, where we always try to provide updates and instructions. 

https://service.ringcentral.com/  It's a good idea to bookmark this on a mobile device/cell phone.  As Chuck explained above, can have calls forwarded to another device.  If your local internet is down, you can try logging in via your cell phones connection. 

I hope this helps.

Mike 
(Edited)
Photo of Susanna James

Susanna James

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey Chuck,
Thank you for the information. It does make sense.
I just wanted to make sure since we do have a few people that don't want their cell phones associated with work. But, they have had outages in the past and we need them to still get calls should it happen again.

Have a great day!

Susanna
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Great, good luck and let me know If you need anything

Chuck
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just to clarify this, and please verify this with a Technician, but your cell phones should reflect your companies phone number on the transfer so that your employees personal cell phone numbers are never known to your clients, either on in-coming or out-going calls, when using their cell phones.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,774 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
RingCentral has no control over personal cell phone caller ID's, therefore it will not reflect your companies phone number.  However, if you use the RingCentral Mobile App, you can make/take calls via your DL on the app and that will reflect your same caller id. 
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Kim - I missed stating that step in my explanation and thank you for clarifying this.  By having RingCentral's Mobile App downloaded to your employee's cell phone this will display your work number and not your employee's personal cell phone number.  This seems to be a universal situation with most any VOIP Providers, provided of course that you download that App to your cell phone.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
Great news everyone!  We have released a feature to resolve this issue.  We can't actually monitor everyone's network, but in the event that a phone is unreachable we have a solution. View the following article for details.  We've just started pushing this out so most of you will see this in the web portal in the next few weeks. 

Call Forward for Unreachable Phone
Photo of Ed Stock

Ed Stock

• 60 Points
Mike what about forwarding by a group to a PSTN number?  For example during business hours we unconditionally forward to an on premise PBX.  If that PBX is down and does not answer the call what will happen?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

RingCentral currently does not have the option to do this. If you go into the Group Call Handling options, there are two choices. 1. Send the Caller to Voicemail, or
2. Disconnect the call.
Photo of Adlai Grutas

Adlai Grutas

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Alert System Administrator of error or phone status if a phone goes offline.

I need RingCentral to be able to automatically send me update or status alert (either sms, email, voice call) if one of our phone went offline. We are an assisted living and we need all our phones up and running all the time so if there is an emergency we know that any phone at our workplace would work. 

Last night, I just happen to check the phone statuses online and noticed that one of the phone is offline. I don't know how long was the phone was offline but if we had an emergency and someone made a 911 call they won't be able to use the phone.

This feature is very important for us. We have multiple buildings, each has one phone. If one phone went offline without me notifying the problem that could result in potential liability problem for us in the future.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We don’t have the ability to monitor every user's internet for outages, but in the event you do have an outage we now have a feature that allows you to forward calls if your phone goes offline.  For more information see our KB article Call Forward for Unreachable Phone
(Edited)