Airpods instead of headphones

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • In Progress
I would like to find out how to use my Airpods instead of headphones when making calls.  I am not able to hear anything.  
Photo of KAVANAUGH

KAVANAUGH

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 43,480 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey KAVANAUGH,

Unfortunately I don't have any Airpods to test with. I've seen RC employees use them in the office and have heard of customers using them just fine but I'm not sure if they had to do anything specific to get them to work.

Have you verified that the Airpods have synced with your device?
Photo of KAVANAUGH

KAVANAUGH

I can use them with my phone app but not with my desktop.  They are synced with my computer, and I use them as headphones on my computer.  I just can't get them to work with ringcentral when I have an incoming call or trying to make a call.

Hmmm....have you tried using the Airpods on a different computer? It would help to narrow down if it's an issue with the RC app, computer, or headphones.
Photo of KAVANAUGH

KAVANAUGH

I tried with my work computer, however, I am getting a different computer next week so I will try w/that one.  It is HP by the way.

Keep me posted! 
Photo of Sam - U.S. Support

Sam - U.S. Support, Employee

• 1,688 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

When making a call using the mobile app, it should allow you to select your audio source while on your phone call. I use a bluetooth headset with my mobile app, and once I make the call if I don't already have it selected, I am able to change the audio source from there. 

Let me know if you have any questions finding this selection.

Thanks,
Sam
Photo of KAVANAUGH

KAVANAUGH

Yes w/mobile app I can use them.  However, on my desktop I can't.
Photo of KAVANAUGH

KAVANAUGH

I can use them with my phone app but not with my desktop.  They are synced with my computer, and I use them as headphones on my computer.  I just can't get them to work with ringcentral when I have an incoming call or trying to make a call using the desktop.  I can't hear the call.   I like to use the desktop, because I also use ringcentral for google.  This is such a great add on and very convenient as I work on my computer.     
Photo of Chelsea

Chelsea

• 60 Points
Hi! I have a user in my company that wants to do the same thing (use his AirPods with the RC Phone app on his desktop.) He can use them ok with the mobile app, but does not get any audio when he tries to use them with the desktop client. Has anyone figured out a way to get this to work?
(Edited)
Photo of KAVANAUGH

KAVANAUGH

I am wondering if the fake airpods that can be used with android phones would work.  I thought about that today.  I can find them on amazon and wondering if they would work.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I just don't want to wear a headset and the one I have has a wire.  I don't want to invest in a wireless headset if I don't have to.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 16,842 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
2287 USA based users, 28 different sites,  3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones
2018-10-18   We have an order for one set of these (Android version) coming from Amazon, will test with RingCentral Mobile app and RingCentral Desktop App and report back. You can follow our RingCentral Headset Issue-Tracking here

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/headsets.html
Photo of Shaun Jeavons

Shaun Jeavons

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi I seem to be having the opposite problem.  I cannot get airpods to be the audio device when making or receiving a call from an Android when using ringcentral app (but the native calling app works fine).  Is a MotoG4 running Android 7.  No options to select audio device are present during call, only prior to calling a contact (for clarification - if I select Ring Central as app to use it does not come through the airpods.  If I select 'phone' native app it 'does' come through the airpods)
(Edited)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 17,386 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
2287 USA based users, 28 different sites, 3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones

2018-11-12 Bluetooth headset connectivity is a long standing issue with the Desktop and Mobile apps. We are tracking it here and added the airpods recently to our list.

http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org...
Photo of Shaun Jeavons

Shaun Jeavons

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Cecile, will keep an eye on it.