Admin: change users (DND, available, offline)

• Idea
  • Updated 17 hours ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
As an admin, I should have the ability to change any extensions DND status. If an agent leaves their desk and forgets to remove their phone from the que, I have to log into their extension and change it for them.
Photo of Jonathan Snavely

Jonathan Snavely

• 1,354 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Shawna Berg

Shawna Berg

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want to control the Do Not Accept Queue Calls Option as an Admin.

Our employees put themselves in and out of the queue as they see fit. I would like to be able to control if they are in a queue or not by overriding their options. This is becoming a serious issue for my support department. All other phone companies I have demo'd with give the control to the admin. Can you please develop
Photo of Jeffrey Herzfeld

Jeffrey Herzfeld

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is a must needed feature.
Photo of Roronoa Zoro

Roronoa Zoro

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to switch a user's status from the admin portal.

Please have the option for the admin to change the user extension's status.

Some users are switching to "Do Not Accept calls" or "Do Not accept Call queue calls.
Photo of MichaelB

MichaelB

• 62 Points
Also adding to this as we have just had a remote employee rushed to hospital, is still "available" in RingCentral and we are unable to set her number to DND.
Photo of Gareth Williams

Gareth Williams

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be handy for when people go on leave and I can set them to DND or Offline. Currently I am having to remove people from a call queue and then add them back in when they return.

Preferably I would like to be able to alter the users settings "Do Not Accept calls" or "Do Not accept Call queue calls.
Photo of Lance Adams

Lance Adams

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature request for do not disturb.

I want to go to admin portal online and get the status of DND on each user's phone. I don't want to load any bridge software or any other software to do this.
Photo of Joshua Darrin

Joshua Darrin

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
There is another thread with this same request - perhaps if RC put all the votes together, it would get some attention. I have been quite vocal about this today. Like this one, the other thread has been open 4 years. I think all development at RC has stopped. The planned items are all 2 years old.

Jeffrey Herzfeld

Ring Central, can you please confirm when this will be on the roadmap? Seems to be many users who would like this feature.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,332 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jeffrey, it's not on the roadmap for this year. If it's something that makes it to the roadmap next year, I'll update this thread
Photo of S. Crowley

S. Crowley

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That is completely ridiculous that admins have ZERO way of keeping employees in the call queues. this is a CRITICAL feature, and 4+ years without any update is bull
Photo of GeorgeS

GeorgeS

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Do not take calls Make status available to Admins.

Posting on behalf of a customer. Several (50 +) US sites, : Using call queues. Would like a status/view of users that have put them selves into "do not take calls" or "do not take queue calls" in Service Web. Being able to change this status would be helpful as well.

Users are not tech savvy and either place themselves in a mode inadvertently,  or just forget. Admins need to start an online meeting to show users how to put themselves back into a state able to take calls.

Jeffrey Herzfeld

Agree, but year after year it seems to be going to next years roadmap...
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We used presence/statuses in our old phone system to indicate whether or not someone was in the office; we wrongfully assumed that admins would have the ability to change statuses with RingCentral and it's been a difficult feature to lose since the migration.

Like GeorgeS' situation, sometimes users forget to set their own status accordingly and having an admin change it seems like a standard solution.
Photo of Isaac Montano

Isaac Montano

• 60 Points
Any progress on this? 
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 12,404 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not that we have heard Isaac. 
Photo of Pedro Melero

Pedro Melero

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It is extremely frustrating as an Admin not having a way to see if a phone is on DND. Is this ever going to be addressed?  

• 12,424 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
George, the call queue project manager advised: 

Call queue members need the option to change their availability (e.g. bio break, PTO, out sick, etc.). We are not currently planning to offer the ability to remove/hide this control, but we plan to continue monitoring customer demand for this feature and will adjust our priorities as needed.
EDIT:

I clarified that this response was exclusively in regards to the ability to hide the status functionality from users. Product is currently working on the ability for admins to change user status. This should be coming in the second half of 2020, barring any unforeseen circumstances. 
(Edited)
Photo of S. Crowley

S. Crowley

No. Call queue members do NOT need anything that I, as the person who is in charge and paying them, say they don't need. you just don't want to actually listen to what your customers are requesting
Photo of Joshua Darrin

Joshua Darrin

• 396 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Am I missing something? The request if for an Admin to be able to change the availability of a member. It sounds very much like this response is to hide this control for members which is not what is being asked for here. Again - unless I am missing something. I did not go back and read every single response. 
Photo of S. Crowley

S. Crowley

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's a bullshit non-answer that basically says they're doing nothing by avoiding the actual topic

• 12,000 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Joshua, 

You're not missing anything. I reached out for some clarification based on your question and George was just speaking to the availability to hide controls. Admins should be getting the access to change user status in the second half of this year, barring any hiccups. I'll update the official response to reflect this. Thanks for your question! 
Photo of Chad Lancour

Chad Lancour

2nd half of 2020, no commitment. Feeling pretty confident that this will NOT be delivered.
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

• 574 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Bridge Operator Console can do this if the user running it has admin rights.  https://www.ringcentral.com/apps/bridge-operator-console

Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Woah. This could be a game changer. Does this only control queue call status or overall presence (available v do not disturb).
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

Today just the call queue status, but honestly it would take about 3 minutes to add the other option as well.
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

Are you part of their development team? Wondering if this is an affordable option for someone that would only need that feature. Regardless of how much we train, we still have team members that forget to change their statuses/presence and their phone ends up ringing throughout the day. To stop it from ringing, we, as admins, have to log into their PC and set them to DND from there.
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

Yes I am in charge of the dev team here.  The app itself is designed to make your operators / receptionists more efficient.  It that role it usually pays for itself 10 fold in labor savors.  For that feature alone, I guess it would depend on how much time you spend a month fixing users presence or queue status.  The license is $99 per console user.  So simple answer is if it costs you more than $99 a month in time or frustration yes :-)
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

We'd be happy to show you the entire app in a web demo if you like, you can schedule one right on our website https://www.bridgeoc.com
Photo of S. Crowley

S. Crowley

Stop with the sales pitches in this thread. This is a feature that should already be built into ring central; and you continually posting your paid workaround is just going to make the devs think they don't need to fix their blatantly missing administration need
Photo of Rio May

Rio May

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for this suggestion Doug, but at this point, I am not willing to pay for another service when Ring Central has not given us a clear solution of its own.
Photo of Pedro Melero

Pedro Melero

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
 The proposed solution is overkill for a feature every other so called out dated phone system has had. I dont need all the other bells and whistles the proposed solutions has. I'm sure it is a great product if you needed all the other features that come along with it. However all I need to do is be able to turn on and off DND from my admin console. 
(Edited)
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

I'm actually reviewing the RC Demo your team has on YouTube right now. Admittedly, I don't believe our team would benefit from the software because our calls are so few compared to other businesses.

If your team ever develops micro-software that only provides RC admins the ability to change other user presence/statuses, I'd definitely consider it! It seems super silly that we'd even have to consider a third-party program/website to do that, but I'm still hopeful! Maybe your team can work with RC's team to teach them how to implement that feature hahaha

In response to the push back from other users, it seems like Doug's team is just trying to build/sell a software that has features RC doesn't. While I don't want to pay for a service that seems like it should be included, I'm happy to see there are companies out there acknowledging certain lacking features and creating solutions; we just need RC to acknowledge and focus development toward what seem like bare bones phone system features.
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

• 1,626 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Doug - I'm currently trialing Bridge OC for our team. I asked your support team about why we couldn't adjust status (just the queue call option) and was told this wasn't possible, and they 'checked with the dev team' and told me it's not on the roadmap. Is it really as simple as a 3 minute fix....? If so, can you guys do that today? I'd love to have that done before I make my final decision to move forward.
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

Doug - I'm currently trialing Bridge OC for our team. I asked your support team about why we couldn't adjust status (just the queue call option) and was told this wasn't possible, and they 'checked with the dev team' and told me it's not on the roadmap. Is it really as simple as a 3 minute fix....? If so, can you guys do that today? I'd love to have that done before I make my final decision to move forward.
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

Mike, it's not on any road map, but I could change that.  What is the business use case for this.  I understand stopping the phone from ringing when someone is not there, but what is the upside to showing them available or dnd when they are not?  I would love to understand.
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

Doug, our users are changing their statuses, and forgetting to change back. We'd also like to have our dispatcher manage their status in a way that's visible via presence to all users (changing queue calls setting is invisible to anyone not using Bridge OC). We can achieve the desired result (not getting queue calls) via status, which has those other benefits to us, and doesn't have the frustrations of the queue call flag.
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

Ok good to know.  The new "Unified Presence" api which unites the RC presence from the old desktop app, with the presence in Glip is in beta.  We are going to begin the transition from the old api to new one soon, and when we do we can add that functionality at the same time.  We haven't transitioned yet as we are still working the RC dev team on a way to subscribe to the unified presence status the way you can to the legacy one.
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

I want to share my experience so that RC is aware of the actual operational impact not having the feature has for my office.

First, our receptionists use team member phone statuses to quickly route calls. If a team member is on available, but is really away from their desk, the average hold time for a call jumps from 5-10 seconds to 25 seconds because our receptionists attempt to call the team member and it rings out for that duration. It may not be a lot of time, but it adds up quickly.

Same goes for callers that have a user's direct line. If they call when the user is on available, but is away from their desk, the caller has to wait for the phone call to ring through to voicemail.

If a team member is on DND, but should be on available, then all of their calls, no matter the importance, get routed to voicemail. Since DND also suppresses IM notifications, the user doesn't see urgent/emergency messages about the caller which then requires our receptionists, or myself, to physically visit the user to alert them. In our old system, if we thought the user may be at their desk, an admin would change a user's status, send a quick message or make a quick call, and then change them back to DND if they truly weren't available.

We also use RC's presence feature to indicate whether or not someone may be in the office because that's what we did with our previous software. This has led to the owner thinking people are here only to find that they didn't change their status.

Lastly, if my receptionist has an emergency and has to step away from their desk, but forgets to change their status, the callers will ring through to their phone even if I'm in the backup queue. This requires that I have to remote into their PC and change their status.
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

Doug - sounds good, thanks. Looking forward to it.
Photo of Will

Will

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Coming into my second year following this thread of it's 5 YEAR EXISTENCE. Its almost comical how this feature is still missing. It's only taken dozens of comments and years to pass for this to be marked, "Under Consideration." 
(Edited)
Photo of S. Crowley

S. Crowley

It honestly makes me want to switch providers that they're so completely uncaring about their user's requests
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

Tests seem to work great.  Should be heading for production early next week.  It updates both the traditional api presence, as well as the unified presence (beta) that includes "glip" or the RC app, in as much as they cross over, since there is no "Busy" in the new RC "glip" App.

Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

This looks great Doug - excited to try it out!
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

Hey Doug - we're having an issue. We can turn DND on for a user - but can't turn it off. It says 'Setting user to Available' but that never actually happens. They have to switch themselves back in their RC app.
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

Also - another very weird behaviour. When a user goes back to Available (manually, in their RC app) the 'Queue Calls' setting gets immediately flagged to Off for no reason. This doesn't happen when a user switches to DND themselves, and then back to Available. Only when using Bridge to go to DND.
Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

Currently the only support changing the new "unified" presence on your own ext.  The legacy one supports being able to do it to others if you are an admin.  The settings are bit of mess as the same options don't exist in both places.  I am lobbying their devs to add parity to the api.  Hopefully at some point they will.  https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Presence/updateUserPresenceStatus
Photo of Jetroy Braganza

Jetroy Braganza

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BETTER ADMIN CONTROL OF DESKTOP APPLICATION.

BETTER ADMIN CONTROL OF DESKTOP APPLICATION eg; disable call queue for users, by admin etc