Answering the phone

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Currently, the caller encounters an automated answering program. We would rather answer the phone live. Is that possible? Also, the phone currently only rings to my desk, which really ties me down! Every time I leave my desk, I have to remember to put the phone on DND, and then it rings at the next coworker's desk. But if SHE is away from her desk or on the phone, that's inconvenient. At times, the caller is transferred to 3 or 4 lines and it just rings and rings until FINALLY the call gets to a desk where there is an actual person. 

Also, with our old phone system, we were able to have the phone ring at all five desks of the five people who answer the phones. 

Basically, we want to be able to be a live voice when people call (no automation unless we are CLOSED) and we want the ability to ring at five desks at the same time so that whoever is available can pick up the phone. Please let me know if this is possible and if it is, how we can achieve it. 

Thank you!
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Remote RMATS

Remote RMATS

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You may wish to establish a Call Queue Group with all 5 sets included.

Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I did that, and set it to simultaneous. However, it still rings to my phone. 
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

Okay, and do you know what I would do to have the caller reach one of us directly rather than get a recording?

Photo of Lee

Lee

• 1,712 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like you have a connecting message turned on. You can uncheck the box for that under Screening, Greeting and Hold Music. To have all of you extensions ring simultaneously you can set up a custom answering rule that forwards calls to a single extension. then you can use Call Handling and forwarding for that extension to forward to other users phones. Just create a ring group or have the incoming calls forward simultaneiously. 
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

Well, I created a queue group but it still is only ringing to my phone. Guess I'll have to contact customer support. Very confusing system, I don't find it user friendly at all. 
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 1,712 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If you want to use a Queue after you add all the queue members you will need to change how calls get transferred to members, to simultaneous, under Call Handling and Members. 
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 2,008 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kim,

Is this a new deployment?  Basic call flow design should be implemented with your deployment team.

As earlier said, you may want a Call Queue or a Ring Group -- they work slightly differently.

You definitely can have inbound calls ring direct to a phone/group/queue -- are you currently going to an IVR/Auto-Attendant, or are you hearing a "please hold while your call is being connected" message?
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, it's new. We've only had Ring Central for about a month. We have a whole greeting that answers the phone, "Thank you for calling..." etc and then offers a phone tree and all that. We just want to answer the phone as people. So to change that do I have to call customer support?
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

I'm no export, so RC support/deployment folks can probably advise the best method for your case, but quick-and-dirty, you should be able to add a Custom Rule to your main Auto-Receptionist -> General Settings -> "IVR Settings" which takes calls made to your primary phone number and forwards them to an extension, Ring Group, or Call Queue.
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

I don't believe I have full access to all settings. It's frustrating because I'm trying to make this system simpler (we are a very small organization) but my hands are tied. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 42,980 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kim,

Looks like you have a Phone System Admin Role assigned to you which means you only have access to certain things. For simplicity's sake and to avoid further frustration on your end, I would suggest contacting Support and letting them know how you want things set up. They would be more than happy to walk you through creating either a Call Queue or making sure your Ring Group is working properly.
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

Kim - if you're the appropriate phone system administrator, you should contact your RC rep about fixing your account permissions or identifying the account(s) that have full access.
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

Already have, no change. We just want to be able to pick up the phone during business hours so that callers get a LIVE PERSON and not a confusing, meandering message that confuses them. I really don't understand why that doesn't seem to be a possibility. 

Hi Kim, has your company considered using Single-Level IVR instead of Multi-Level? Might fit your needs better
Photo of Kim Cruson

Kim Cruson

I'll have to look into that. If we use single level IVR does that mean we can just answer the phone when we are open? 

Correct, you can set it so that it bypasses any Company Greeting and instead goes straight to an extension